If money were no object.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dannywalls76, Jul 23, 2012.

1. dannywalls76 macrumors newbie

I'm a latecomer to the Mac phenomenon. Not because I preferred Windows, but because I never had the money. I managed to get my 2011 MBA fairly cheap and haven't looked back.
    But what if money were no object? Would you go all out or just stick with what you need?

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

If money were no object I'd be currently enjoying a maxed out BTO 2011 iMac while awaiting the 2012...

3. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

I'd get a 64gig 3G iPad and a full spec 27" iMac.

4. dannywalls76 thread starter macrumors newbie

I would go maxed out 27" iMac as well. Do I need 16 GB of RAM. Erm, yes. Yes I do.

5. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Yes would probably buy the maxed out BTO and sell it once the new one came out - just for the heck of it. Though it would be a bit annoying as I would probably hardy been able to install it before I tossed it for a new one. So perhaps I would just stick with my original plan - ...wait while I bitch and moan in these forums ;)

6. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

Amen!

7. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i'm in the lucky situation that I can afford any mac I want. However I still can't justify to spend money on a maxed out Mac. So I stick with my 2010 MBP for a few years more. I might put in a SSD as soon as I get around to it.

But in essence I only buy what I need (well a small bit above that because i could do with an i5 but I bought an i7). I also keep my notebook for several years because I just don't like to waste money on gadgets without really using them to the fullest. I still use an iPad1 and never upgraded. I used my iPhone 3GS until last December and only upgraded because the 3GS broke.

Gadgets tend to not only cost a lot of money if you upgrade too often to the top model. It also costs a lot of time and effort to upgrade, transfer software, learn the new features, sort through the accessories and adaptors and all that. It's just easier to use what you have until something groundbreaking new is there.

8. mwhities macrumors 6502a

I'd buy stock in Apple... followed by 27" iMac, fully loaded with two 27" Apple TB Displays.

I'm happy with my mid 2010 Macbook for mobility. (I'd get the biggest SSD drive I could get for it.)

9. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Money is always an object, otherwise one wouldn't have money for long!

10. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

go you?

11. jji7skyline macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

Maxed out Mac Pro with Cinema display. 64GB RAM :cool:

And a rMBP for portable stuff :p

12. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Good thread!

If money were no object, I'd get a maxed out Mac Pro with 2 thunderbolt displays. Probably $20,000+. Then I'd buy the 2013 model and render farm it with the old one. Maybe a small army of Mac Minis to stack up and add the the render farm too.

13. Mark D, Jul 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2012

Mark D macrumors member

Top-end 27" i7 iMac + SSD drive, 15" non-retina MacBook Pro also with SSD, iPhone 4S, Promise Pegasus R6 RAID system

Of course if money were no object, I'd also be complimenting that with around $10,000 worth of photography gear :D

14. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

First I would buy a bigger house.
    Second I would put in Kolher backup gas powered generators.
    Third I would put in as many solar panels that I could fit.
    Fourth I would put in 3 or 4 mac pros.
    Fifth I would build a killer pc for gaming.
    Sixth I would install many hi end panels of lcd or led all around the house. Last the biggest bad a$$ set of speakers for my ht.

15. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

If money was no object I'd get a Mac Pro and 2x 27" Apple screens, max out the internal HDDs and load up the RAM, attach a RAID drive and even put in a BluRay in the 2nd DVD bay. But that set up could get me a good new car.

Money is the object for most iMac buyers but I'll still be adding a few things to my next 27" iMac like more RAM (after market) maybe a bigger HDD and better 2Gb video card as I'm likely to keep it up to 5 years.

16. Mark D macrumors member

Now that you mention it...can't forget my new 750 Li. The MBP and I must ride in style.

17. Oracle1729 macrumors 6502a

What a silly question. If you get more than what you need, you may as well just get what you need and flush the rest of the money down the toilet.

18. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

As others: a nice maxed Mac Pro in dual screen and rMBP for heavy mobile need. But my wife would never agree :(

19. mwhities macrumors 6502a

*buy a new wife? :)

20. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I think "if money were no object" is a moot point since you don't have anything to worry and consider. No problems or limits to think about.

People would buy anything they wanted, it could be bad products, but it doesn't matter. I have all the time and money to buy it anyway.

21. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

but then money becomes an object:

pay old wife, pay new wife and pay Apple ... nah, I guess I keep my semi-maxed iMac ;) and my wife :p

22. mwhities macrumors 6502a

I understand. I tried to sell my wife, she said no one could afford her. I vouched. *ducked and ran* :p

23. Slivortal macrumors 6502

I'm a computer scientist, so...

SUPERSIZE MY BIG MACS

24. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

If money was no object when I was last buying a computer, then I would've gone with a retina MBP with a 256 SSD and 8GB of ram. (of course, they didn't exist back then)