If not eligable for next iPhone, would you buy it new $599+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abercrombie, Apr 7, 2009.

?

If not eligable for next iPhone, would you buy it new $599+

1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    19.8%
  2. Maybe

40 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. No

98 vote(s)
    57.0%
  1. abercrombie macrumors regular

abercrombie

I'm a 2 week newbie to the iPhone and just thinking out loud. If you're not eligable for next iPhone upon release, would you buy it new $599+

- video?
    - 802.11n?
    - 3.2 megapixel camera?
    - fm radio tuner?
    - better battery?
    - new design more colors?
    - scratch resistant matte finish rear?
    - lighter?
    - more+

2. aok1975 macrumors 6502

Nope, because

1.I already have video
    2. 3.2mp camera is low
    3. Most I will pay for a phone is $350
    4. Iphone 3g is very capable
    5. FM, only listen to radio in the car which has fm

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I would not. I would wait until I was eligible for the subsidized price and buy it then.

4. The General macrumors 601

5. mikey28 macrumors 6502

I would be mad at myself, and probably kick myself later, but yes I would buy it. Especially if it had video and a significantly better camera, etc...

I would not be broadcasting it, but I would get it.

6. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Nope. I'll not be buying a new phone until my current contract expires (next July). There isn't anything they can do to the new hardware that will so wow me that I'll need to drop another $300 (or more, unsubsidized), especially since my 3G will seem like a brand new phone when 3.0 is released.

7. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

This becomes important to me if it's an FM transmitter, as rumored. I'd love to be able to listen in my car without an FM transmitter adapter. And Apple's FM transmitter app would probably be sweet.

But no, I wouldn't spend $599. $399 tops.

8. LinMac macrumors 65816

I bought my first 8GB iPhone for that much. I think.. maybe it was $499. I really don't remember.

I would buy it if it was enough of an upgrade over my 3G, but really considering how much we pay for Macs anyway..

Ah hell, who am I kidding? I'd buy it if it was $1000.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'd have to wait and see the new specs but Im more inclined to wait another 8 months and then get it subsidized.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Uh, H-E-L-L-O!!! That's what we paid for the 1st iPhone.....:eek::eek::eek::eek:

11. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

12. MrGadget28 macrumors regular

Wow that's almost as much as what I payed for my laptop and it's definitely better and more powerful than an iPhone. The most I've ever payed for a phone was $320. I would never pay more than that for a phone again.

13. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Nah, I'm not ready to start the vicious cycle of dishing out $600 to apple every summer. I'm smart enough to know that in summer of 2010 apple will release an iphone that will blow this one out of the water. And I am one of the few americans who can exhibit patience. I am willing to wait the every 2 years cycle instead of the every year. :)

14. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I'm probably not getting a new phone until my current contract is over.

15. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

I'm sorry but i hate bashing people and forums, but seriously why do people keep putting a price on the new iPhone? we don't even know if it will be $599, for all we know it could be the same price as the old one seeing that technology updates so quickly these days parts have become cheaper to make certain items, so we will just have to wait and see when it is announced in the summer!

16. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

I am eligible but not sure I will buy the iphone. It depends on its capabilities and how much the skype and slingplayer apps are crippled. I may an android based fone instead.

17. megapopular macrumors 6502a

But...

I am upgrade ready! Whatever the price is I'll be buying, but since they haven't released the price options it could be extremely expensive subsidized or not... Save your money, folks!

18. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Well I think we are assuming same prices remain the same as they are now. upgrade eligible being at the $200 and $300 price points. But for those of us with an iphone 3g (most people reading this thread), we will *probably* have to pay full cost which would put it at around $600 or so for the high end iphone.

19. cwwilson macrumors 65816

cwwilson

For that price I'd rather get a MacBook.

So no.

Also the highest I'd go is ~$300. Any higher and it borders on ridiculousism.

20. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

not at all. $199 at most. The majority of the benefits are software for me.

21. diemos macrumors 6502

not for 599 but for 399 probably. I can't wait to get a new one, my 2G is almost finished. I want High rez screen in new iphone a bit sleeker design (like that Concept going around) and better battery life maybe with at least 1 background app process, so i can at least listen to shoutcast on the go.

22. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

I paid 499 for my first 16g Original iphone so thats about as high as I would go. I would have too see a big hardware change though. Like a 5mp camera and not a 3.2. Also maybe an aluminum back with the shape of the 3g would be nice. Awww who am I kidding ill buy it no matter what.

23. MrGadget28 macrumors regular

Actually mega pixels have nothing to do with quality. The 2MP camera on the iPhone takes good quality pictures whereas the 2MP on my old Nokia phone takes pictures in worse quality.

But yeah, they should at least add video/flash to the camera:D

24. neil1980 macrumors 6502

Another vote for no, would wait till my contract was up.

I already had to overlap 2 mobile phone contracts to get an iPhone so to do something like that again would be crazy after such a short period of time