Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If not eligable for next iPhone, would you buy it new $599+

• Yes

Votes: 34 19.8%
  • Maybe

Votes: 40 23.3%
  • No

Votes: 98 57.0%

• Total voters

mattroman246

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2009
Upstate NY
I'm just going to add a line to my account to get the subsidized pricing and replace that line with an old handset, another $10 a month isn't going to kill me

randomusername

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
The 3rd generation will probably be $400 and $500 (subsidized) with another 2 year contract agreement like with the iPhone 3G for non-upgrade eligible peeps.

Lurchdubious

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2008
Texas
I'm just going to add a line to my account to get the subsidized pricing and replace that line with an old handset, another $10 a month isn't going to kill me

Wouldn't you then be paying for 2 iPhone data plans? Or do you not currently have an iPhone?

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

You bet. Personally, I'm prepared to go up to $800 if the specs are right. As a July 11th 3G owner I'm hoping it won't be that bad. But I'll buy it in a second for that price or less.

WannaApple?

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
I voted maybe because it would depend upon what the new phone had. I wouldnt pay just for more memory or video recorder, etc. however if they redesign it, with the addition of new features not available in the software or jailbreak, I would consider it. My white back 3G is getting all scraped, scratched and dirty now.

Jeremy81

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2007
Oklahoma
I just got my latest iPhone a few months ago and my account says I won't be eligible until 5/2010. Unless they make all iPhone users accounts eligible for upgrade I'll wait until November and upgrade the extra line on my family plan. I have no intentions of paying full price. If the screen and design isn't significantly different I may not get it at all.

northy014

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2008
Think about it this way. What you should do is cancel your contract, buy an unlocked iPhone at $600, and then get a $15 a month plan... it'll probably come to a similar amount, sim only plans get WAY better texts/minutes than regular plans, and you shouldn't be significantly out of pocket.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Yes, I would. But I'm currently on a 2G (which I paid $600 for...)

Oh, and to those of you comparing it to the price of a laptop - yes, so? I use it far more than I would a laptop.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
Actually mega pixels have nothing to do with quality. The 2MP camera on the iPhone takes good quality pictures whereas the 2MP on my old Nokia phone takes pictures in worse quality.

But yeah, they should at least add video/flash to the camera:D

8+ MP with auto focus and zoom plus a a Xenon Flash + Software ability to record video + RAM upgrade + 16GB then I would pay $399 for it.

Anything less then I'll wait for 2010 and see what happens.

newportpaco

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2009
from the small and not scientific sample on this post, it does seem that people will pay what the first Gen did which still make it the most expensive phone out there on the us side. First Gen upgrades and the nuts ( including me will pay up to 700) they will be ok. There will allways be people that will go past what they want to have the best. And they will make mucho money.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Isn't there a chance there will be some middle price? Like, the 2009 iPhone will cost:

$199 - New customers signing 2 year contract
$599 - Un-subsidized price
$349 - iPhone 3G users who are at least 10 months into their 2-year contract, and agree to extend the contract by another year.

If there's something like that, I'd do it. Although that would mean $449 for the larger capacity...dunno. That's still a lot. I'll probably upgrade from the 2008 phone to the 2010 phone no matter what, I guess.

MrGadget28

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2009
Isn't there a chance there will be some middle price? Like, the 2009 iPhone will cost:

$199 - New customers signing 2 year contract
$599 - Un-subsidized price
$349 - iPhone 3G users who are at least 10 months into their 2-year contract, and agree to extend the contract by another year.

If there's something like that, I'd do it. Although that would mean $449 for the larger capacity...dunno. That's still a lot. I'll probably upgrade from the 2008 phone to the 2010 phone no matter what, I guess.

Whether you've had the iPhone since release or not, you're only gonna be able to get the phone at an unsubsidized price. Why? You agreed to sign a contract for the iPhone 3G for two years.

kits

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009
I don't mind if AT&T let's me stay on a $15 unlimited data plan like it does with several carrier branded 3G phones and unlocked 3G phones like Nokia N-series.

Since lot of great phones are lined up for summer release it leaves me with choice to jump on a phone that fits my needs better. It's fun to try several phones before I settle for the one that works out best for me. Things like Smart Dialing(Blackberries, Windows Mobile, Sony Ericsson), excellent browsing (like on iPhone), Today screen (Windows Mobile) are some of my basic requirements along with good to very good camera/video(Nokia's and Samsung) functionality.

Right now, no phone is already released with all these features. Hoping the new iPhone can be with few apps even though I will still miss Today Screen and multi-tasking.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I would seek to change my iphone if the screen is converted oled and has size increase of 4.0 inch, also graphic improvements and a change to the os appearance would be tempting, for a memory bump eg 32gb, faster speeds cpu and wifi, and a 1.2 megapixel difference i would highly doubt i would go as crazy when the iphone was first launched.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Whether you've had the iPhone since release or not, you're only gonna be able to get the phone at an unsubsidized price. Why? You agreed to sign a contract for the iPhone 3G for two years.

I guess you don't understand what I'm saying. It could work.

Agreeing to stay on the contract another (3rd) year is worth something to AT&T. Let's call that "$x."

So AT&T could agree to sell to current 3G users for
Unsubsidized price - $x

There is nothing wrong with that math. The question is, what is "$x" actually worth? I don't really know. It might not be worth it. But it's possible. What if "$x" is $100? They'd offer it. They'd tie a ton of users in for another whole year. Why wouldn't they?

The only way they wouldn't do this is if "$x" ends up being something like $8, which wouldn't really get anyone's attention.

kits

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009
Think about it this way. What you should do is cancel your contract, buy an unlocked iPhone at $600, and then get a $15 a month plan...

Unfortunately, this won't work with iPhone anymore. I recently grabbed a brand new iPhone3G 8GB from ebay hoping I can get away with my current $15 unlimited data plan. I thought I will wait for the new iPhone to go for 2-year contract deal later this summer. Unfortunately, within few days I got multiple SMS from AT&T asking me contact them to change to iPhone data plan or bear the extra data charges. So, I got forced to iPhone dataplan against my choice :-(.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I'm on 2.0 so I will use the combination of flawless 3G, Yellowsn0w unlock, and eBay reputation to recover that $599 selling my current iPhone.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Depends on how much I can get selling my current iPhone. If I can get over $400 for the "old" 3G (on eBay or some-such), and the new phone comes out at $600, then my out-of-pocket differential would be less than $200, which is within my budget for the annual latest-and-greatest pocket gizmo from Apple.

Probably worth it just for the 20% faster CPU, although a camera with better low light sensitivity would be nice as well.

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2007
I paid $600 for my 1st gen and was happy to do it. I did feel burned as prices went down. If I read the sales charts only about 2 million iPhones were sold in the first 30 days out - they will all be ready for new contracts. The big seller was 3G and there are over 10 million out - all will be somewhere around a year into their contracts with ATT. Some type of contract will be offered for those contracts - $450 is a guess. Remember, it was the subsidized iPhone that created 17 million users while the list price iPhone was only a fraction of that.

Manny13z

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2009
Discount

I was told by an AT & T customer service rep the other day that even if your not eligible for an upgrade or your contract is not up when the new iphone comes out that previous iPhone owners will be able to get the phone at the discounted price. I don't now how accurate this statement is but I do have a friend who purchased the 2g iphone and when the 3g came out he was only one year into his contract and he purchased the 3g 16gb iPhone for $ 299.

aok1975

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
There is no reason why you should pay 600 for the next iphone. If you bought your 3g on launch day, by the time the next phone is released you should be 12 months into your contract. Your ETF will be reduced by $60. So your ETF would be $115. Before you cancel just add a new iphone to your account, pay the subsidized price for it $200(8gb), then cancel the original iphone line and pay ETF of $110. Now you have the new iphone 8gb for $315. You however still have your old iphone 3g which you can sell the 16gb for $300 (minimum). Also have ATT wave the activation fee. Am I missing something here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.