Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Every year its a panel lottery with apple and every year I wonder - why cant I just get a phone that matches the display models? Always perfect color temp, perfect even displays. If Apple charged an extra $100 for a hand picked screen id pay it.

Sure, we should expect by default that what we buy should match the floor models, but thats not the Apple reality.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Every year its a panel lottery with apple and every year I wonder - why cant I just get a phone that matches the display models? Always perfect color temp, perfect even displays. If Apple charged an extra $100 for a hand picked screen id pay it.

Sure, we should expect by default that what we buy should match the floor models, but thats not the Apple reality.
ah me and you have been at this since 2010. Good times in good threads lol.

My first X was terrible with an awful clicking sound.

My second X screen looks EXACTLY like the displays. I was shook and SHOCKED when comparing yesterday.

They exist dude. Good luck in the lottery though.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

In My opinion, most tech enthusiasts on this site are much more particular about their devices with the perfect display. But in the real world, most consumers likely don't even notice the subtle effects with slight light bleed or a minimal blue hue on the display, etc. I think it varies on the individual and what they are looking for.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Don’t discount the lighting and viewing experience in the store.

What you are implying is that Apple either has a different manufacturing process for in store phones, or that they have a more stringent quality control threshold for in store phones.

The former seems highly unlikely and the latter seems expensive and laborious. To sift through millions of phones to find a few thousand for store display units seems ludicrous.

Also keep in mind that the vast majority of people can’t even see, or don’t care about, the screen color and brightness shifts that macrumors users regularly complain about.

When you’re in an Apple store you are seeing their products in a controlled environment. The lighting is prescribed. The distance you view the products at is prescribed. The content you see is predetermined...you won’t be seeing your iCloud photos for example.

I’ve actually tried to show a Genius Bar employee a screen discoloration on my iPad and not only could he not see it, neither could I. Only when I convinced him to let me show him in a darkened area of the store could we both see the issue.

We’d all love to have a tidy explanation and solution for screen issues. For years, people have tried to pinpoint the serial number range, the week of production, the specific factory. Some have even posited that one storage size or color vs another is a way to get a good screen.

It’s all a waste of effort and brainpower. It’s a lottery. Always has been. Probably always will be. And I’m pretty sure Apple is playing the lottery just like us.

I’m sure at some store, at some launch, some employee has swapped out a phone or iPad or two with a funky screen color, but the idea that they get a specially manufactured or vetted batch for display units defies reason. There are simply not enough bad screens, or people that scrutinize screens, to warrant either scenario.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Don’t discount the lighting and viewing experience in the store.

What you are implying is that Apple either has a different manufacturing process for in store phones, or that they have a more stringent quality control threshold for in store phones.

The former seems highly unlikely and the latter seems expensive and laborious. To sift through millions of phones to find a few thousand for store display units seems ludicrous.

Also keep in mind that the vast majority of people can’t even see, or don’t care about, the screen color and brightness shifts that macrumors users regularly complain about.

When you’re in an Apple store you are seeing their products in a controlled environment. The lighting is prescribed. The distance you view the products at is prescribed. The content you see is predetermined...you won’t be seeing your iCloud photos for example.

I’ve actually tried to show a Genius Bar employee a screen discoloration on my iPad and not only could he not see it, neither could I. Only when I convinced him to let me show him in a darkened area of the store could we both see the issue.

We’d all love to have a tidy explanation and solution for screen issues. For years, people have tried to pinpoint the serial number range, the week of production, the specific factory. Some have even posited that one storage size or color vs another is a way to get a good screen.

It’s all a waste of effort and brainpower. It’s a lottery. Always has been. Probably always will be. And I’m pretty sure Apple is playing the lottery just like us.

I’m sure at some store, at some launch, some employee has swapped out a phone or iPad or two with a funky screen color, but the idea that they get a specially manufactured or vetted batch for display units defies reason. There are simply not enough bad screens, or people that scrutinize screens, to warrant either scenario.

Yeah I get that, but I am comparing phone to phone, in same lighting, and every year its a struggle to match the display models. Every year the display phones are exactly the same color temp too, so I can only assume that is the "correct" temp.

I'm not sure what they do differently for the display models. I've only seen 1 or 2 yellow screen phones on display at launch, and those were swapped out to beautiful ones in less than 24 hours, so I an only assume some kind of protocol exists to make sure display phones are cool temp beauties.
[doublepost=1511301287][/doublepost]
ah me and you have been at this since 2010. Good times in good threads lol.

My first X was terrible with an awful clicking sound.

My second X screen looks EXACTLY like the displays. I was shook and SHOCKED when comparing yesterday.

They exist dude. Good luck in the lottery though.
Man, not sure i have the energy for it anymore. At this point if they release iMessage for Android, I'm out. At least those phones tend to have really beautiful screens.

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017

It’s the bright lighting in the store not the display.
Go to a store and show me side by side that your phone is inferior in some way and then we will believe you.

Reactions: haruhiko

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
I returned my X last week. Before handing it over I lined up 2 display X's, mine and the genius helping me. All 4 had different color screens, and none were anything worthy of a $1200 phone. The display models weren't any better than mine or the Apple genius phone.

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
I returned my X last week. Before handing it over I lined up 2 display X's, mine and the genius helping me. All 4 had different color screens, and none were anything worthy of a $1200 phone. The display models weren't any better than mine or the Apple genius phone.
It’s almost as if a line of people doing returns is an extremely biased sample.

But I wonder, how did you bring your spectrometer to the Apple store?

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
It’s the bright lighting in the store not the display.
Go to a store and show me side by side that your phone is inferior in some way and then we will believe you.

Its definitely the display. 100%. I lined them up side by side. Apple agreed. Sorry, not the lighting.

Reactions: iJustiney

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I've bought every single iPhone since 2007 - on launch day - and have not once had a display issue. If you have an issue, swap it out until you get a good one? There's no difference between the display models and the ones in the box.

Reactions: Olivia23

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Checked my returned x against 15 instore models. They were all different, two looked great. Not good odds on this lottery.

Reactions: kre62

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Checked my returned x against 15 instore models. They were all different, two looked great. Not good odds on this lottery.
Yeah but your “great” screen and mine might be totally different. As different as the screens.

If Apple warms up the screens, people cry yellow. If someone gets a cooler screen, it’s too blue. There is no way millions of people will ever agree on what a “great” screen looks like.

Reactions: kirk.vino and ARSC

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
Yellow color temp, uneven display, the usual. If yours is good congrats, move along
Yellow color temp isn’t a flaw it’s a feature, that’s how it’s supposed to be.

I’m amazed you can see an uneven display with the brightness in Apple stores. How did you do it? Can you show me a photo of it?

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Ummm

I’ve seen display models with displays that didn’t appear to be even.

I’ve read the lighting in the store makes things look better but idk if that’s true or not.

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
Yeah but your “great” screen and mine might be totally different. As different as the screens.

If Apple warms up the screens, people cry yellow. If someone gets a cooler screen, it’s too blue. There is no way millions of people will ever agree on what a “great” screen looks like.
Yea if only there was this standard for what white is, that would solve all this retarded arguments.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Yellow color temp isn’t a flaw it’s a feature, that’s how it’s supposed to be.

I’m amazed you can see an uneven display with the brightness in Apple stores. How did you do it? Can you show me a photo of it?

Just stop man. You have no idea the volume of research and experience this whole community has with the yellow screens. It is 100% not intended, since it looks 100% different than the display models. If you want proof, go compare yours to the display models. True tone off, 100% brightness, settings screen open. See if the color temp is different. If its not, great you won. If it is, and you will easily be able to tell, you lost. You will then need to decide if you can live with an inferior display. Just know that once you go down this path, you will demand a proper display.

If you choose to not believe that there is panel variability despite pages and pages of pics and confirmations there is, then so be it, live life in dreamland.
[doublepost=1511309726][/doublepost]
Is this a joke? Seriously, we are now complaining and saying the display models have better displays then the ones Apple sends to customers? This complaining has gotten ridiculous.

Well, its unfortunately reality. The reviewers and displaymate get the good screens. For the rest of us, its hit or miss. Go check out the yellow screen/blue shift thread for this years reality.
[doublepost=1511309797][/doublepost]
Yea if only there was this standard for what white is, that would solve all this retarded arguments.

You arent getting it. There isn't one temp for iPhone X. The temp will vary based on your luck. If you get one that looks correct, great. Many get washed out low contrast yellow junk. I'm not talking about 6500k. Im talking about literal yellow film on the screen.

Reactions: Raist3001

1096bimu

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2017
Just stop man. You have no idea the volume of research and experience this whole community has with the yellow screens. It is 100% not intended, since it looks 100% different than the display models. If you want proof, go compare yours to the display models. True tone off, 100% brightness, settings screen open. See if the color temp is different. If its not, great you won. If it is, and you will easily be able to tell, you lost. You will then need to decide if you can live with an inferior display. Just know that once you go down this path, you will demand a proper display.

If you choose to not believe that there is panel variability despite pages and pages of pics and confirmations there is, then so be it, live life in dreamland.
[doublepost=1511309726][/doublepost]

Well, its unfortunately reality. The reviewers and displaymate get the good screens. For the rest of us, its hit or miss. Go check out the yellow screen/blue shift thread for this years reality.
No you have no idea what a good screen is.

Everybody knows iPhones have the best display consistency out of any smartphone, having some variation does not affect the fact that iPhones still have the superior display.
[doublepost=1511309960][/doublepost]
No it's not, yellow screen is a flaw apple has had since the iphone 4.
No it's not, it's people's ignorance of what good screen is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.