Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macDonalds

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 8, 2007
What OS would you be using?

For me, probably Ubuntu. I mean, I would still need to dual boot into Windows for work, but I think Ubuntu would be my main OS.

How about you?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I'm already using Ubuntu on a server and a desktop, so I'd probably use it full time. Most of my work is *nix-based anyway, and OpenOffice would handle the rest of the stuff I would even remotely need Windows for.

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Well for me, it was the Mac I investigated as an alternative to Windows--not necessarily OS X. So I guess the question for me would be what would I be using if there were no Macs and in that case I never would have looked for an alternative to Windows so I guess it would be Vista.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
Without OS X would there be Mac's?

If not then probably some god awful Windows program.

And btw you wouldn't be using Vista since it's a copy of OS X gone horribly wrong. :)

powderblue17

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2007
Didn't Jobs still use NextStep as his main OS even after he went back to Apple instead of Classic MacOS. I remember seeing that somewhere but don't know if it's true. Maybe I would be using that if it were continually being updated or if not then probably Windows or maybe BeOS if it had ever gained a market position. Never really cared for Linux at all.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I like one of the few people who actually liked OS 9.

I bought my first Mac with OS9 on it. I was intending installing linux on it, but the OSX Public Beta came out so I used that instead. I really didn't like OS9 but I had to boot back into it to play DVDs. Those were the good old days :p

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
England
Windows Vista here.

I'd use Ubuntu, but I need my Windows software and dual booting is just a PITA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.