Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doneill220

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2013
Exactly why I use Cylay. If the phone is taken it cannot be turned off, and it operates invisibly sending me GPS updates as well as a photo from the front and rear camera.

Or to add an extra level of security, you should not be able to power off the device without unlocking it first.

RIGHT?! That surprised the hell out of me when I learned you could do that!

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Yes, if someone wants to defeat that tool, they can do it.

Many times the phone is just lost. And sometimes somebody finds it and takes it home. (like the idiot TSA officer that was busted). Sometimes STUPID people steal them.

I still don't know how you could actually bust anyone. FMIP is not accurate enough to get an exact location. We tracked a phone to a street but couldn't nail down what house it was in. It was pointless.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I still don't know how you could actually bust anyone. FMIP is not accurate enough to get an exact location. We tracked a phone to a street but couldn't nail down what house it was in. It was pointless.

If it's tracked to a particular single family home and the cops are called, they could deny it, or admit it. A lot of thieves will come clean when they think they have been caught. If they however deny it there is nothing you or the police can do. They may go and get a warrant, maybe, but will they do this over a phone? What if the GPS location is not accurate and the phone is actually across the street?

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
If it's tracked to a particular single family home and the cops are called, they could deny it, or admit it. A lot of thieves will come clean when they think they have been caught. If they however deny it there is nothing you or the police can do. They may go and get a warrant, maybe, but will they do this over a phone? What if the GPS location is not accurate and the phone is actually across the street?

That was the problem. There were 6 houses right there and the GPS dot was showing in the middle of the street.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.