If someone steals your iPhone can't they just delete find my iPhone?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
That's an app to find other devices - there is an option in the settings that enables the feature.

Comment

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Find my phone isn't theft prevention it's for finding your phone when you miss place it.

Comment

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Yes, if someone wants to defeat that tool, they can do it.

Many times the phone is just lost. And sometimes somebody finds it and takes it home. (like the idiot TSA officer that was busted). Sometimes STUPID people steal them.

Comment

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
if someone steals you're phone and wanted to keep you from finding it they would power it off and pull the sim card.

Comment

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I downloaded it but seems pointless
If you set restrictions on with a passcode and disallow deleting apps, then the app can't be deleted. You should also disable allowing changes to location service. Pullin the sim from the phone won't prevent it fom being located either.

Comment

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
If you set restrictions on with a passcode and disallow deleting apps, then the app can't be deleted. You should also disable allowing changes to location service. Pullin the sim from the phone won't prevent it fom being located either.
What about turning the phone off?

Comment

HappyVirus

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
if it's jailbroken, you can set it so that the phone will not turn off if the phone is 'locked'. That way, if your phone is password protected at the time someone tries to turn it off, it will just give some error and the device will not turn off.

Comment

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
That's the first thing I do. It's not foolproof, but it gives me a slightly better chance.

Comment

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
The app is just for finding phones. You turn find my iphone on and off in settings. It works with or without the app.

Comment

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Wow never knew about the restriction settings. Awesome find!
The only problem is that whenever you add an app that needs to use location services, you can't simply select allow from the pop up dialog box, you have to go in to restrictions and allow changes to location services, allow access and then reactivate the restriction. It's a bit tedious, but luckily it doesn't have to be done very often.

Comment

rrandyy

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009
If you are on a gsm carrier, how does pulling the sim not prevent it from being located? The phone needs data to report its location. Unless the phone ends up on wifi, pulling the sim will prevent find my phone from working.

Comment

NismoRoadster

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
Cerritos, CA
The find my iPhone app is not what has to be protected, it's the iCloud account that has to be locked in restrictions and all access to find my iPhone will be restricted also. iPhones can be located without the find my phone app.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.