Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will an ongoing ban keep you from buying a future Apple Watch

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • Yes

Votes: 38 15.6%
  • No

Votes: 171 70.1%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 21 8.6%

• Total voters

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If the ban is upheld and Apple is forced to remove the sensor from upcoming watch releases, would the lack of an oxygen sensor keep you from buying another Apple Watch? If so, what importance does the oxygen sensor play in your day to day health life?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Ehh I played with the oximeter it when I first got my apple watch and have pretty much forgot about it since. It's not a factor for me. I'm a healthy individual and have never had a reading less than 98-99% with my PCP. If that wasn't the case, maybe I would feel different.
I wouldn't be surprised if your response represents a large majority of current Apple Watch users. While you are in good health now, if that were to change, having the feature could make a marked difference for you (and possibly others).

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2016
01000011 01000001
While you are in good health now, if that were to change, having the feature could make a marked difference for you (and possibly others).
Correct and that's why I said if my health changed, I might feel different. Would it be nice to have? Sure. Would not having it stop me from purchasing it? Not today.

A CGM monitor would be extremely beneficial if I were a diabetic and fortunately I am not. A watch having that feature would not be make or break for me either. Having the data would be nice but it's not the reason I purchase the Apple Watch. So saying things may change in the future with my health, has no bearing on my decision today.

Last edited:

Iwavvns

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2023
If the ban is upheld and Apple is forced to remove the sensor from upcoming watch releases, would the lack of an oxygen sensor keep you from buying another Apple Watch? If so, what importance does the oxygen sensor play in your day to day health life?
Nope. I would never have relied on that oxygen sensor to begin with until I could verify that it underwent, and passed, review by the FDA and required premarket authorization. otherwise it is just another “wellness” gadget.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Nope. I would never have relied on that oxygen sensor to begin with until I could verify that it underwent, and passed, review by the FDA and required premarket authorization. otherwise it is just another “wellness” gadget.
Valid point. My counter is that even though it isn't FDA approved, it can still be a valuable tool to track daily trends, provided the wearer makes use thereof. In that light, I think Apple has made it very convenient to track. To that end, I do make regular use of the feature in case I have to go to the doctor or hospital. And hopefully, what data I do possess might be of help to those in the know.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
Thankfully the intellectual copyright is invalid in Canada to the extent that our Supreme court would rule in favour of the consumer. Got my S9 on the 23rd and bought 2 years of Applecare (or whatever it’s called). The watches are still for sale from Apple Canada, Amazon, Best Buy, etc. Major cell carriers are still offering them.

Me, I want, need and demand O2 sensing b/c of my dialysis/kidney failure. I have regular injections (of Eryhtropoeitin, a Hemeglobin production stimulating hormone) in my dialysis lines @hospital as a function or reflection of my regularly assessed Heme levels. Having O2 saturation is another tool in my healthcare that the medical team gladly accepts.

I really hope this gets resolved quickly in favour of the US consumers.

Tom

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
I purchased my 6 so that I could could be at-parity with my (then) SO to be able to help her through on using that little bugger . . . she's currently just-shy of 2KK away right now, so [there's not much reason elsewise] that I want anything else in the near-term (if at all).

Great little piece of kit, however ;)

Last edited:

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I don’t even think about the feature. Neat, but not anywhere near as important as the heart rate/rhythm sensor. If checking blood oxygen level is important, you can purchase a dedicated oximeter for around $20.

If a software update doesn’t remedy the situation, I would suggest dropping the feature entirely. Either Apple has been confident in fighting this and defending their design, or Masimo is not being reasonable with a possible settlement or license agreement. My guess is the latter, but either way it doesn’t seem to be worth it — cut the feature and focus on other more important technologies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iwavvns and bevsb2

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
No. Oxygen sensor is not the most important feature I am using at this point. I can get an oxymeter for that purpose. As far as I concern, Apple can remove the oxygen sensor anytime and I can still use my Apple Watch for phone call, weather, and music. Keep calm, not worry on oxygen sensor and be happy! 😊

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
It won’t come to that.
Apple has been advertising the health features far too much to remove one, if anything they’re going to pay a license fee, but that is also speculative.

I see surprisingly quite a few elderlies (60s/70s+) out there with AWs and I assume that most of those have it for health reasons. For those SpO2 means something vs those who are “healthy”.

I have an Ultra 2, I don’t base my purchase decisions on rumors or speculation, so I will see what happens when September comes around

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
It won’t come to that.
Apple has been advertising the health features far too much to remove one, if anything they’re going to pay a license fee, but that is also speculative.

I see surprisingly quite a few elderlies (60s/70s+) out there with AWs and I assume that most of those have it for health reasons. For those SpO2 means something vs those who are “healthy”.

I have an Ultra 2, I don’t base my purchase decisions on rumors or speculation, so I will see what happens when September comes around
In this day and age, you really never know what will happen next.

Speaking of elderly, my mother could have used an Apple Watch to track her oxygen levels better before she died.

I like to keep track of my heath stats, especially the heart. I have been happy with my Ultra 2. And like you, I will see what happens next September.

Reactions: arkitect and jz0309

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
I personally doubt the pulse oximeter in the watch is especially accurate so no.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
I'm not in the US so it doesn't affect me, but let's pretend for a second.

My Apple Watch is a health tool first and foremost. I did use my oxygen sensor 4 weeks ago when I had a pretty bad cold and didn't know if it was really a cold or something worse. It did reassure me quite a lot. So yes, for me it's obviously not something I use often, and Apple can do pretty much whatever they want with the Watch but please keep on building the health features please and certainly don't remove them.

For all the rest, I have an iPhone, an iPad, a Mac, an Apple TV and a HomePod and they cover more than all my needs.

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
I personally doubt the pulse oximeter in the watch is especially accurate so no.

I was taking blood oxygen readings with my watch and getting comparative readings from a medical imstrument when in dialysis. I then do correlation statistics, will show those to the staff and go from there. It’s as accurate as the calibration you choose to do. That’s pretty much what I did for 27 years at work…generate data, graph and present to boss.

Tom

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
For what it’s worth, I was recently hooked up to a hospital pulse oximeter for several hours recently with nothing better to do, and compared my Ultra with it a number of times. It always matched to within one unit.

Granted, I wasn’t there for anything that would cause low oxygen levels, and it was never low, so I don’t know if it would be different in situations where it would be important — but I’m pretty confident that it’s plenty accurate for what it’s marketed for.

b&

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2018
If the ban is upheld and Apple is forced to remove the sensor from upcoming watch releases, would the lack of an oxygen sensor keep you from buying another Apple Watch?
No, because the Apple Watch has so many other useful features (for me) that I personally wouldn’t miss the blood oxygen feature if removed as that would be like throwing the baby out with the bath water in my opinion.

Some of those features are fall detection, fitness and closing your rings (huge feature for me), ECG & HR monitoring (another huge one for me as I’m getting up there in age), crash detection (or is that in the phone), plus there are many more features I enjoy (too many to name here)!

If so, what importance does the oxygen sensor play in your day to day health life?

Not much importance as I barely used it. I know there were a couple of occasions I used it when I was ill and felt short of breath, but honestly, I wouldn’t miss the feature.

Plus, if it’s removed, I can always get an inexpensive pulse oximeter available at the local pharmacy.

BarredOwl

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
NC
I will never own another Apple Watch after owning Series 0-7. I grew tired of them because they’re ugly and the improvements were iterative and not worth the continued investment.

I wear a couple of models of D. Dornblüth & Sohn, Omega Seamaster, and an Hermès H08 and have not looked back.

Basically, **** Apple and their stupid “watch.”

I’m watching this unfold and enjoying it.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: Timpetus

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
Lawyers will be ecstatic if the ban is upheld and the oximeter function is removed. Class action lawsuit for false advertising. Break out the champagne!

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
The O2 sensor was first introduced in 2020 when COVID was running rampant, there were no vaccines, and no at-home test kits. Recognizing unexpected drops in O2 saturation was a crucial part of COVID preparedness. In this setting the O2 sensor was a major draw, causing me to upgrade from an AW 5 to AW 6.

Since then, things have changed. I'm vaccinated out the wazoo and can do a home test anytime it even crosses my mind that I might have been exposed to COVID. So, I now very rarely use the O2 sensor and I don't even have it on my primary watch face any more.

Besides, I tend to keep my old Apple Watches, so if a new one doesn't have an O2 sensor and I really feel the need to use a pulse oximeter, I can simply pop on one of my old Watches (including the Ultra 2 I bought the day before the ban went into effect) and take a measurement.

So, as far as I'm concerned, AAPL can simply reissue the AW without an O2 sensor and just flip Masimo off.

If they swapped the O2 sensor for something even more useful (like a BP monitor) that would be frosting on the cake. Or maybe they could just drop the price a little and pitch it as a new, more economical version. The alternatives abound...

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
The O2 sensor was first introduced in 2020 when COVID was running rampant, there were no vaccines, and no at-home test kits. Recognizing unexpected drops in O2 saturation was a crucial part of COVID preparedness. In this setting the O2 sensor was a major draw, causing me to upgrade from an AW 5 to AW 6.

Since then, things have changed. I'm vaccinated out the wazoo and can do a home test anytime it even crosses my mind that I might have been exposed to COVID. So, I now very rarely use the O2 sensor and I don't even have it on my primary watch face any more.

Besides, I tend to keep my old Apple Watches, so if a new one doesn't have an O2 sensor and I really feel the need to use a pulse oximeter, I can simply pop on one of my old Watches (including the Ultra 2 I bought the day before the ban went into effect) and take a measurement.

So, as far as I'm concerned, AAPL can simply reissue the AW without an O2 sensor and just flip Masimo off.

If they swapped the O2 sensor for something even more useful (like a BP monitor) that would be frosting on the cake. Or maybe they could just drop the price a little and pitch it as a new, more economical version. The alternatives abound...
I got the Series 6 just before COVID hit (if I remember correctly). And like you, I was watching the reading constantly. Once I was able to get vaccinated multiple times for COVID (and I still got it) I haven't been as focused.

I would miss the feature but, I would be elated for more heart health based features.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
If checking blood oxygen level is important, you can purchase a dedicated oximeter for around $20.

Or just use your old, outdated Apple Watch Series 6-9 that you kept because Apple offered you next to nothing for it in trade. If Masimo is being unreasonable about licensing their technology, AAPL should just dump the O2 sensor and either drop the price a little or, better yet, add a shiny new feature like BP monitoring to replace it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.