If the iPad mini rumor is true how many here will switch?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Che Castro, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

I would sell my new ipad & use the money to buy 2 ipad minis , if the price is around $200-250

How about you guys?

Oh and only if the screen is retina

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

3. nishishei macrumors regular

I don't see it priced that low if it's retina also. The 7.85" isn't half the product of a 10".

4. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

If the rumors are true

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

Sadly, the rumors don't understand math or business.

6. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

I don’t believe it’s true at all. If it is just a 7.85″ display with a 1024×768 resolution running regular iPad apps, the interface will be too small to use.

If a third size were being introduced (iPhone/iPod, iPad and now mini iPad) I think we would have heard something about it at WWDC so that developers could get apps ready for it.

7. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

I fear that - if true - a smaller iPad will *probably* mean an iPhone 5 with only a longer version. Not longer AND wider (at least this release).

I think Apple would try to dissimulate the two and try to up-sell a smaller ipad verses a taller AND wider iphone, knowing the iPhone 5 can be only longer during this next release, and down the road make a longer AND wider version.(or the version *after* the iphone 5 - iphone 5S :) ). Really, because they can :eek:

Man, I love the size of that big samsung phone. I know allot of people HATE that size, but I really wish the iPhone 5 was that big now. Not in two years/releases - wich I think will happen. I cant change now because Im so wrapped up in Apple s%^$. "Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in." !

Just my opinion.

BTW Id get that smaller iPad in a heartbeat.

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I would not think may would switch from their current iPad, but I think we can all imagine they may buy one in addition for perhaps another member of the family, or as a gift.

Also, more importantly, it will appeal to those who would like an iPad but find the current price point just too much to justify, so now the only option they have in an Android model.

Either Apple produces a model for these people or people who want a tablet but can't afford the current iPad will buy something else.

Perhaps they could just, in effect discontinue the iPod Touch and make it an iPad mini?

9. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

I would switch in a heartbeat. I am a fan of the Fire, but Android was a big turn off. A smaller tablet running iOS would be a dream come true.

10. srshaw macrumors 6502

I like my current iPad, and kindle for reading.

I don't like reading a book with a bright screen, so it won't replace the kindle, and for browsing my current iPad is just the right size.

11. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Switch? no!

Add? Yes!:cool:But only for a Retina screen,Apple ruined me for anything else, so much so, all future purchases MUST have a Retina screen!

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

No, I won't be switching. I like the screen real estate the way it is.

13. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

smaller does not mean cheaper.

usually, smaller means more expensive.

in this case, I would suspect that smaller = essentially same price.

The screen will be only maybe $30 cheaper in the build, the rest of the electronics cost the same. Raw materials (aluminum and glass) for the smaller form factor represent pennies savings. Why would Apple sell a product that would cut into their iPad line and represent a lower profit margin?

You aren't going to see a $200 iPad mini. Look at the cost of the iPod touch. You think Apple would price a 7" iPad the same price as an iPod? no way.

14. number84 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't switch but if it has 3G/4G/LTE capability I'd buy one and carry that around instead of my iPad 3.

15. iEvolution macrumors 65816

I think the chances of the "iPad mini" coming out with more than 8gb/16gb of space is unlikely, as such I would not get one.

I already have a motorola xoom 32gb, iPad 3 64GB and Kindle Fire, I really can't justify getting another 7" tablet.

If I were to get another 7" (or 7.85")tablet it would likely be the Google Nexus Tablet 16GB because the lack of a file system support is a HUGE drawback of the iPad in my opinion.

Even then the Nexus lacks external support and the operating system takes about 1.6GB of useable space away from the user meaning even getting the 16GB I'd have a anemic 14.4GB of useable space.

I was really hoping they'd add some sort of file system into iOS 6, but alas they continue to cripple what could be so much more than it currently is. Don't get me wrong, I love the iPad but the lack of a file system is a huge drawback for me and is the single biggest reason I use my Xoom more than my iPad.

I'm sure the lack of a file system is a cheap attempt to get people to sign up with their cloud service but the cloud service is never going to be as reliable, as quick, as secure as local storage.

16. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

No, I will continue to use my Google Nexus 7.

17. Radio macrumors 68000

18. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I might like one as a smaller, more portable e-reader, but that's not enough justification. I have my iPhone for that.

19. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

The current size is perfect for me, although I might pick one up for my wife and son.

20. Rodster macrumors 68040

21. ManUMark macrumors member

What are you going to do with 2 iPad minis?
    Looking at the Nexus (very nice for the money) it seems to offer nothing that the current iPad has. I can see companies wanting them for in field staff to do work on, it's smaller and this is only a bonus if you are carrying it around all day. The iPad screen is about right and still portable.
    I personally feel sorry that people can't enjoy what they have and 'want' something that is not in the manufacturing stage. It's conditioning to keep people buying new before the old one is truly obsolete or broken.

22. iEvolution macrumors 65816

I feel that if you have one you probably don't need the other. It's all about preference, I can't see much of a reason for anyone to have two iPad minis unless of course if they are for two people.

If the iPad Mini is made its to attract new users to the market, I don't really see it as an attraction to the current iPad users as I'm sure it is going to have less capacity (maybe equal to the 16GB model) and definitely won't have retina if they plan on keeping the price down.

23. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Switch? This is a perfect device to compliment the existing iPad in my family!

Funny thing is, I used to switch between my desktop and my laptop depending on my mood. I can see myself switching between the two iPads when we get them both in the house.

...and the lower price tag will help me justify its utility to my wife. :) (who always wanted a 2nd iPad anyway but thought it was still too pricy to warrant two)

24. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

25. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

I would probably buy one to giveaway to my blog subscribers & perhaps one for my son. I won't be giving up my iPad 3 though.