Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you consider changing phones?

• Total voters

iKnowMr.Jobs

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2010
I have pretty big hands and i couldn't hold my friend's evo comfortably for long. You seriously need one hand to hold it and the other to make a text. Thats why i like my iphone 4, i can do pretty much everything one handed, even pinch and zoom.

Beezy

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2011
I'm sure it's possible. Never doubt technology these days. But I must say.. the iPhone 4 mockup of a 4 inch display looks really ugly. It would have to be with a complete different form factor.

I am with you I just don't think it would be an easy thing to pull off. Can you show me an example of any type of screen that does this? I still think it would have to have at least a little frame around it even if its a 16th inch.

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
I am with you I just don't think it would be an easy thing to pull off. Can you show me an example of any type of screen that does this? I still think it would have to have at least a little frame around it even if its a 16th inch.

I'll try and find some tonight. Here is a picture I have of an iPhone 5 mockup and I just think something like this looks beautiful.

http://mobided.com/iphone-5-mockups

The display is pretty much the whole screen and there really is no wasted space on the front. I dislike the home button though.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
What this is I don't even...

Your logic is flawed. You're comparing a singular device to an operating system running on many, many devices. If you put the Android operating system on a SINGLE device, do you honestly think it would outsell the iPhone? I have sincere doubts about that.

Quick count from the short amount of research I did showed NINETY Android devices. Let's even use just half of that - 45. We'll even use all 4 iPhone models. Using the data from this chart below, simple math would give you this:
Android per model 235,570
iOS per model 2,185,750
Of COURSE the Android OS is going to outsell the iPhone - it's everywhere and in 30,000 different incantations. Apple has ONE OS, ONE phone. I'd say that it's doing a hell of a job.

garnetiphone2010q2.jpg

I guess i should've been more descriptive.
It's obvious the only reason Android is outselling the iPhone is due to the mass amounts of it available. I'm talking about subjective quality not quantity.

I mean to say that Apple did indeed revolutionize the phone with the iPhone, and was the king of the smartphone market for the first couple of years (not so much by the end), as an overall 'smartphone' device, imo. (i'm not comparing hardware to software, i'm comparing both together, but focusing on software)

I feel that Apple took it too easy iOS wise, and so here we are in 2011 still waiting for a proper notification system, where as my old Nokia E63 had a better system years ago, i find that pathetic.
I guess notification system will be the next thing they release late and then will claim "we believe we got it right", as they did with multitasking and cut,copy and paste.

It's true Apple started it all, but i believe they lost that lustre, comparing it with the UI changes Android has gone through. While iOS has practically remained the same since 2007 when it was first launched. I'm not counting home screen wallpapers, multitasking etc. These features have already been in Android phones earlier, so it seems like Apple is playing catch-up now. As an OS it feels pretty stale, and compared to the features in the competition's OS it fails as a 'smartphone' in my eyes.
At this point, the competition is catching up on services such as the App Store, but the basic function of a smartphone they're great.
It's Apple which needs to meet the smartphone standard now, as the rumors point to a larger screen, and with everyone hoping for a proper notification system etc.

My 2cents.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
It's true Apple started it all, but i believe they lost that lustre, comparing it with the UI changes Android has gone through. While iOS has practically remained the same since 2007 when it was first launched. I'm not counting home screen wallpapers, multitasking etc. These features have already been in Android phones earlier, so it seems like Apple is playing catch-up now. As an OS it feels pretty stale, and compared to the features in the competition's OS it fails as a 'smartphone' in my eyes.
At this point, the competition is catching up on services such as the App Store, but the basic function of a smartphone they're great.
It's Apple which needs to meet the smartphone standard now, as the rumors point to a larger screen, and with everyone hoping for a proper notification system etc.

My 2cents.
This year, I think, will all boil down to how arrogant Apple is. If they bring out the exact same shell (screen size and glass back) and just a new chip and some OS updates, they're really going to take a lot of heat.

There is hope though. Look how much they changed the iPad after only one year. If Apple gets serious about the competition, we may see some big changes.

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
This year, I think, will all boil down to how arrogant Apple is. If they bring out the exact same shell (screen size and glass back) and just a new chip and some OS updates, they're really going to take a lot of heat.

So, what you're saying is that if Apple changes the most important details to the phone but doesn't make it "pretty," then they fail ...?

/boggle

Hey, if you want pretty I can take a dump in a box and put a ribbon on it. The inside may be crap but at least the outside will be nice. :rolleyes:

Beezy

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2011

There is hope though. Look how much they changed the iPad after only one year. If Apple gets serious about the competition, we may see some big changes.

It could be viewed as Apple sticking to their guns as well tho. Someone made a great point that making the screen bigger compromises the one hand use. I use mine with 2 hands most of the time. Its not a big deal for me but most of the people I see irl are using it that way. On the other hand you can make an argument that Apple is very arrogant regardless. They deserve it in a lot of ways. I am not really concerned. They have a way with things. People will vote with the wallet. Unfortunately for us I think the tech nerds compromise a small part of the customers.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
It could be viewed as Apple sticking to their guns as well tho. Someone made a great point that making the screen bigger compromises the one hand use. I use mine with 2 hands most of the time. Its not a big deal for me but most of the people I see irl are using it that way. On the other hand you can make an argument that Apple is very arrogant regardless. They deserve it in a lot of ways. I am not really concerned. They have a way with things. People will vote with the wallet. Unfortunately for us I think the tech nerds compromise a small part of the customers.
This is true and we can guarantee whatever Apple puts out in June will sell like crazy. Even if our friend there craps in a box and puts an Apple sticker on it.

Beezy

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2011
This is true and we can guarantee whatever Apple puts out in June will sell like crazy. Even if our friend there craps in a box and puts an Apple sticker on it.

But their reputation is just the opposite. High quality devices so I don't expect things to completely change all of a sudden.

iBryton

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2010
But their reputation is just the opposite. High quality devices so I don't expect things to completely change all of a sudden.

Could every 4 years result in a totally complete change like macbooks/etc..

learneradam

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
To easy to stay with what I know.

Agreed - DoubleTwist's AirSync is very slick, I thought I would have a nightmare of a time switching from an iPhone to Android but it's actually been very easy. Address Book syncs to Google Contacts, I have my MobileMe Calendars subscribed to in Google Calendars and Music synchronised (wirelessly!) with AirSync using the Smart Playlists in iTunes I've always used.

Thanks NATO, I suspected there were different apps to achieve syncing without relying upon mobile me. Afraid it is a situation of better the devil I know, rather than learn something new and get it working. I really like how it seems to be so simple with apple and that is why I will stay with the iPhone.

So not really a matter of comparing standards of other smart phones as opposed to just the user experience for me.:)

steadysignal

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
iphone may not have the best specs, but it has the best overall mobile experience. Im sticking with iPhone.

i almost switched to a droid...work paid for the phone and the service.

i stayed with the iphone and reduced my plan.

its just not worth it to waste time on an non-unified experience.

s.hasan546

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
NY
idk i switch phones every month or two since i own a verizon store. Not gonna lie i get pretty bored every time i get an iphone. Its pretty stale for me. list of icons. Now its a great phone for the average user. But im not gonna lie and say i don't love the notification system and widgets in android phones. 99% of the apps i have on my iphone i had on my droids. i don't care about the games and netflix i have on my ipad 2 :)

Now i hated certain android phones (fascinate, droid 2, droid pro) and loved certain droids (incredible, droid x).

For me to get the iphone 5 it would need: better notification system and maybe widgets.

I will say this if by the time the iphone 5 comes out there are thinner & better battery life 4G droids i might have to lean towards the 4G droids. Right now the thunderbolt is way to heavy and big and the battery life sucks way too much.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I don't think the iPhone is falling behind, Apple has picked a form factor and they are staying with it. I would like to see the screen grow a bit, but keep the same(or similar) size, maybe get rid the bezel on the sides of the screen. It would be like say that Apple is falling behind because they released a 15'' but not 19'' one. They wouldn't be falling behind there either, again its a design choice.

As for 4G I can't see Apple doing that, heck they used EDGE for battery life concerns a few years ago. Shooting 1080P seems do able considering it does 720P, although I will be honest, I don't do a ton of moving my content to the big screen, so it doesn't both me much.

Apple would have to really mess the iPhone 5 up for it not to be my main device, I just think iOS is so much more enjoyable to use then Android.

But hey, to each is own, if you want to use Android, I understand its a great OS with some very strong positives.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Depending on what the iPhone 5 offers, I may just stick with my iPhone 4 and wait until the next product refresh. But regardless, I love how the iPhone seemlessly syncs my music, apps, etc. from my MBP to my iPhone, so I do not see myself migrating to another mobile phone. Ever.

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
Given the Samsung Galaxy S2 comes out before the iPhone 5 I think I'm just going to take the risk and go with that, if the iP5 is a huge improvement over the iP4 then I might be a little pissed but that's life I guess.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Given the Samsung Galaxy S2 comes out before the iPhone 5 I think I'm just going to take the risk and go with that, if the iP5 is a huge improvement over the iP4 then I might be a little pissed but that's life I guess.

That is a tempting phone, but Samsung's UI kills it for me. The only UI I can deal with is the new Moto Blur(because its getting smaller and looks like Android) And Sense UI as its decent piece of software, and I can turn that off with easy. Not sure if you can do that on a Samsung without rooting it.

hippo206

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2007
Anyway... I am pleased with my iphone, will upgrade to the next generation whenever it becomes available.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.