If ur in market for MP, consider Server MP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Luba, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

Got a 2009 MP so I am not in the market for a new MP, but for those that are what about getting the Server MP?? You'd have to buy OS X as it comes with OS X Server which is worth $500, plus a SuperDrive since no DVD SuperDrive is included. But you would get 8GB instead of 6GB, and 2TB instead of 1TB.

Some people may not want the SuperDrive and use both slots for SSDs. So for an extra $500 you would get OS X Server, more RAM and more storage.

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You can get 16GB of RAM and a 1TB hard drive for $500 from a 3rd party.

3. pfjellman macrumors regular

pfjellman

if you want max value and you know a thing or two about hardware, you should always buy the base model or lower end mac pro (or even a used/refurb one). upgrading the ram, video card, hard drive and processors will always be much cheaper to do yourself. and adding things like blu-ray and usb3 that aren't even a bto option are fairly simple as well.

4. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Agreed.

Paying Apple for any BTO options is like throwing your money in the toilet and flushing it.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The only thing that would be worth it is if you needed the server OS, otherwise it would be cheaper to just buy the RAM and HDD separately. It actually does come with one superdrive installed as well.

6. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

you would need to sell the osx server to someone. which is a gray market sale at best. then it is worth it.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The only reason to conside the Server Mac Pro is OS X Server.

Otherwise, it's money out the window.

8. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Totally agree with self upgrading... Purchased 32gbs of ram today :)

9. Luba thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luba

Nice comfy setup. Where did you buy your RAM?

10. Luba thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luba

After reading all the comments, the Server MP is really only good to purchase if you're in need of the Server OS . . . the only thing that makes me nervous is buying the wrong RAM type. Seems they are so many different versions out there, that I feel unsure if I am getting the exact type that's needed. So far, I know I need to look for Error Correction ECC type and thermal indicator. I think there are other considerations too . . . buffered v. not buffered. Do I trust that a 3rd party that says my 2009 Mac Pro will take 8GB sticks? Why would Apple say it can't take 8GB RAM when a 3rd party says it will??

11. Peter.Howard macrumors regular

Peter.Howard

The server model really should be a proper server, rack mountable kit included, hot swappable drives, x2 power supplies etc..

Its a really poor attempt to replace the Xserve line with the new MP Server

12. Vylen macrumors 65816

It's not really a replacement - it's an alternative (yes, there's a difference). Seems like Apple isn't going to make servers anymore, but they have OS X Server and need to do something with it. They already provided a Mac Mini Server so it's logical to provide a Mac Pro Server.

13. Peter.Howard macrumors regular

Peter.Howard

True,

From what I have read there market for the Xserves was pretty small.
    Maybe Steve is just focusing on what Apple have always done really well, provide customer and business desktop computers. Cutting out the products that just cost too much to support, servers, printers, monitors, accessories etc..
    Apple used to do heaps of that sort of thing, I guess now they leave it to others that do it better.

Rather than trying to focus their energy on too many projects

14. dknightd macrumors 6502

It used to be Apple's focus was education and "artistic, or scientific" users. It seems to me they are giving up on this base to chase new customers. That is of course a reasonable decision - maybe. If Apple stops providing solutions for their old base customer, we'll move on, making room for the next apple.

15. Vylen macrumors 65816

Let's say you're looking through sales and you see this tiny tiny slit in a pie chart labelled "Xserve" then you're gonna come to the sound decision of dropping the product. Even more of a sound decision if profits are non-existent. Apple is just like any other company - ideally they'd create products for everyone and everything but as a company it can't.

Also some may recall that Apple shifts their employees around to work on different projects so they don't get bored and they have the right people on a project. Chances are the Xserve work area shrunk and just gathered layers and layers of dust. And when the mold spores seeped out from under the doors into the rest of the building they probably decided to drop it entirely.

16. philipma1957, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2010

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

first question your answer is OWC can be trusted for ram.

second question has always puzzled me .
    this was true of apple with 4gb sticks in 2009 minis apple says only a pair of 2gb sticks total of 4gb. yet a pair of 4gb sticks total of 8gb work in that mini. And i still own 2 2009 minis both with 8gb ram that works. many many many many people use 8gb sticks in the mac pro both 2009 and 2010 yet apple says 4gb is the max stick. makes 0 sense to me.

17. dknightd macrumors 6502

Look at it coming from the other side. You see a company dropping support for servers, yet still trying to sell server software. You'd come to the sound decision that now would not be a good time to start using apple server products.

18. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

brock2621

Owc :)

19. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

Agree on this all except processor - if you look at the prices you could get for say the W3565 at NewEgg ($599) vs from apple at $400 then it does not seem worth it (of course you could sell the or change out the RAM and go with an i7), but apples to apples the proc upgrade seems in line not gouging.

20. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

LOL.
    Who is gonna spend $500 on 2gb of ram and a 1tb harddrive?

21. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Too bad a base model MP can't be BTO with no ram or HD. Heck, buy the MB and the most basic Apple technology to be legal and build your own Apple Hackintosh legally from Apple.

22. snberk103 macrumors 603

I might not myself - but.... for someone who doesn't open up computers, getting the above installed by Apple - (and backed by the Apple Care Warranty that they're likely to take out as well) is not such a bad deal. If any part of the machine acts up, Apple fixes it. No messing around with 3rd party warranties.

I had both my logic board and video card in a 2008 MP replaced last week by Apple under Apple Care (One bit took out the other bit). If the video card had been 3rd party I'd still be arguing with both Apple and the video card maker as to whose part failed first... and I'd probably have ended up paying for the whole repair, parts and labour, out of my own pocket with no prospects of getting anything back from either maker. That said I do have 3rd party RAM - however I bought it from the Apple Authorized store I bought the MP from. Cheaper than Apple's own RAM, perhaps not the absolute cheapest I could have gotten - but if there are any RAM problems, I know the store will cover it. Same for the extra internal HD.

Parts and labour, warranty backed by Apple, for $500. Any extra cost is cheap for peace of mind.

23. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Until very recently (still aren't populating retail channels) 8GB DIMMs were only available as Registered memory. The Mac Pro only supports unbuffered memory. While that is so, non-ECC unbuffered, ECC unbuffered and ECC Registered DIMMs work. You can't mix these types and Intel don't support Registered memory on the X58 (single processor) platform, which is probably why Apple don't offer it. It works fine though.

24. Peter.Howard macrumors regular

Peter.Howard

It's just a rumour but there is talk that maybe they will do this with Mas OS Server, allow it to run on non Apple hardware. Can't see that happening myself.

One of the first things Steve did when he came back to Apple was shut the door on the clone makers.

I think, if you open the door and let people make clone Apple computers, then Apple will be out of business selling hardware, and they will just become a software company.

Think of what happened with IBM with the original PC, everyone else can make it smaller, cheaper, better than they could.

25. Luba thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luba

Registered memory is the same as unbuffered memory?

Officially speaking via Intel, a 2009 Quad Core 2.66 GHz Mac Pro can only take 1066 Mhz, ECC, unbuffered, and unregistered memory?

Read on another thread that 1333 Mhz can work, that MP would automatically downgrade the speed to 1066 Mhz.