Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
Just go on keeping it classy, solaris7.

Well, don't you think "OMFG! Cat pooped on the keyboard!" is at least a little funny? :p:cool:

Atanyrate, if we can stop the bickering, this is a good thread.

I'm wondering if there's anyone else out there that can put a 2011 side by side with a 2010 like iZero has done?

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
The OP merely opened up a discussion on the topic and offered his opinion. The people who are contributing do have genuine problems. Solaris7, you don't seem to be contributing anything to the topic or offering a sensible counterpoint, just attacking who doesn't agree with you.

iZero

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2011
Well, don't you think "OMFG! Cat pooped on the keyboard!" is at least a little funny? :p:cool:

Atanyrate, if we can stop the bickering, this is a good thread.

I'm wondering if there's anyone else out there that can put a 2011 side by side with a 2010 like iZero has done?

I'm wondering too! I already posted photos of my MBP's side by side for a screen quality comparison in another thread, and am happy to post anything i can from the two of them,to this thread, that would help anyone. But I would love it if there were someone with a 2010 and 2011 13 inch and 15 inch to compare too, as it seems there are problems that are drastically more common on each size model, than the other two. I mean, what problem the 13's seem to be having, the 15's are not, what problem the 15's are having, the 17's are not, what problems the 17's are having, the other two are not, etc... :)

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
It's clear the new 2011 MBPs run hotter and louder under load than the 2010 ones.

I don't even know where to begin with this post... Should I point out the logical flaws? The misinformation? Poor conclusions? Bad scientific method?

I guess the most glaring is this post smacks of words that are there to make you feel better about not buying a 2011 MBP for any number of reasons. I suspect you probably own a 2010 and the sting of a better product on the market was a catalyst to this post.

Frankly, if I asked you to compare and contrast a 45w TDP vs last generation's 35w TDP dynamic switching ICU (CPU) with regard to its thermodynamic properties I doubt you could do it. I'm a University Professor and 'that's a big increase' is not a valid argument for your statement.

The rest of your post is filled with personal opinion and is really there to make you feel better by tearing down those who have upgraded.

The facts are the 2011 is a much better product than the 2010 MBP is. No insult intended as the 2012 MBP will probably be better than the 2011. In my opinion, I think the 2011 was a much better upgrade than 2009 to 2010. Better CPU, more memory (up to 16 GB), Thunderbolt, better GPU, more GPU memory...yet, that is still my opinion.

I personally do not have any heat issues even when I'm maxing out the CPU. This MBP is much cooler than the 2009 MBP and I believe on par with 2010 (though much more powerful CPU).

My observations with other people with 2011 MBPs (students, faculty) also does not lend to any heat issues....though not a scientific number.

-P

mrmister

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
"Should I point out the logical flaws? The misinformation? Poor conclusions? Bad scientific method?"

Especially if you are going to be a jerk about it...the answer is yes. Be thorough.

"I guess the most glaring is this post smacks of words that are there to make you feel better about not buying a 2011 MBP for any number of reasons. I suspect you probably own a 2010 and the sting of a better product on the market was a catalyst to this post."

Not that it's your business, but I'm planning on buying a 2011 MBP.

"Frankly, if I asked you to compare and contrast a 45w TDP vs last generation's 35w TDP dynamic switching ICU (CPU) with regard to its thermodynamic properties I doubt you could do it. I'm a University Professor and 'that's a big increase' is not a valid argument for your statement."

While taking a swipe at my competence, I would suspect a university professor would agree that a TDP of 45w is larger than a TDP of 35w. That is obviously, the maximum--I'm aware of how physics works--but it is a starting point. You don't discuss the increase in RPM for the fans, perhaps because you don't have a pithy retort.

"I personally do not have any heat issues even when I'm maxing out the CPU. This MBP is much cooler than the 2009 MBP and I believe on par with 2010 (though much more powerful CPU). My observations with other people with 2011 MBPs (students, faculty) also does not lend to any heat issues....though not a scientific number."

Thanks for taking time out from the swipes to add this observation.

Once again--responses like this one are how the Macintosh community gets and maintains its poor reputation.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
No big difference

Hello,

I have in front of me two 15" MBPs. One 2010, 2.53GHz i5 and one 2011 2.2 GHz i7. Same speed for the HD, 5400 rpm.

I ran a couple of load test. The main one was using Handbrake to decode ToyStory 3 from a copy on the HD, not from the DVD. I ripped it to the HD using RipIt.

The main difference I can see is that the difference in temperature between the CPU and the CPU heatsink is about 4 degrees °C more on the 2011 (only 50°C on 2011 compared to 54°C on 2010) which could come from slightly less thermal paste. The top temps are the same on the other hand, both around 89°C.

Btw - the same movie is decoded in handbrake on the 2011 in 30 minutes with an average frame rate of 80fps and the 2010 needs 1h20 mins with an average frame rate of 30fps. Same movie, same version of handbrake, same settings of course.

So I can see some difference but not that much. If the 2011 is not under load I see basically no difference at all. I can post some screenshots if you like.

Best
LaForge

iZero

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2011
Hello,

I have in front of me two 15" MBPs. One 2010, 2.53GHz i5 and one 2011 2.2 GHz i7. Same speed for the HD, 5400 rpm.

I ran a couple of load test. The main one was using Handbrake to decode ToyStory 3 from a copy on the HD, not from the DVD. I ripped it to the HD using RipIt.

The main difference I can see is that the difference in temperature between the CPU and the CPU heatsink is about 4 degrees °C more on the 2011 (only 50°C on 2011 compared to 54°C on 2010) which could come from slightly less thermal paste. The top temps are the same on the other hand, both around 89°C.

Btw - the same movie is decoded in handbrake on the 2011 in 30 minutes with an average frame rate of 80fps and the 2010 needs 1h20 mins with an average frame rate of 30fps. Same movie, same version of handbrake, same settings of course.

So I can see some difference but not that much. If the 2011 is not under load I see basically no difference at all. I can post some screenshots if you like.

Best
LaForge

Glad to see there is also a minimal difference in temps between 2010 and 2011 15 inch MBP's in at least one case :) It seems like I'm not the only one with a 2011 that behaves with much faster performance, at near identical temps! It would be great if someone has a 2010 13 inch and a 2011 inch that are similarly equipped to test side by side and share! They are the ones I am most curious about, as the complaints of heat on the 13 inch are massively outnumbering complaints of it on other models. Not sure if they are just more popular, or actually that much different from their 2010 counterpart where the 15 and 17 inchers are not.

Miss Terri

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
US East Coast
Can do:
My temps are:

HD 32C
CPU 39
CPU Heatsink 33
Enclosure Base 28
Enclosure Base 2 28
Enclosure Base 3 28
GPU 33
Heatsink B 32

bbowen,

Sorry, didn't mean to seem like I was ignoring you, but just got back to the thread now. Those temps sound really good/cool to me. My 2010 MBP will *just* get down to those temps at idle or with extremely minimal usage.

With 90-jillion tabs open in Firefox, plus a few other programs, like I have now, the CPU is at about 52º C and the heatsink at about 43º C

I have a friend with a 2010 Macbook and his temps seem a bit cooler than mine under similar usage.

At any rate, I'd say yours sounds quite good!

OP: I think what some people might be taking umbrage at is the tone of your original post. It did not read as "In my opinion......" but instead as "Here is what is what is true and what you should do..." They don't read the same at all. Since what you wrote was opinion, in good part, that made it slightly annoying to read.

mrmister

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
"OP: I think what some people might be taking umbrage at is the tone of your original post. It did not read as "In my opinion......" but instead as "Here is what is what is true and what you should do..." They don't read the same at all. Since what you wrote was opinion, in good part, that made it slightly annoying to read."

I specified what was factually known, and what was surmised. I was really clear about that--far more than a number of the responses I've been handed in this thread.

sydenham

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
"OP: I think what some people might be taking umbrage at is the tone of your original post. It did not read as "In my opinion......" but instead as "Here is what is what is true and what you should do..." They don't read the same at all. Since what you wrote was opinion, in good part, that made it slightly annoying to read."

I specified what was factually known, and what was surmised. I was really clear about that--far more than a number of the responses I've been handed in this thread.

I really liked your post. I thought it was pretty balanced, although I am not so sure there is that big of a problem with the heat. I have a 2010, i7 2.66.. and it does get very hot if I start to tax the system, but I just accepted that a processor is going to produce heat. I wouldn't worry about the Community College lecturer, as he seems to feel the need to be justify his purchase. I was very very interested in getting the 2011, but after your post, I will be thinking about it more sensibly. Thanks.

mrmister

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
Thanks. I don't know that there is a huge problem with heat, either--but I do know the fan speeds have been increased, that the TDP increased, and that Ivy Bridge will have a die shrink...so I thought some sensible, measured advice was in order.

There are people who clearly aren't having any issues, and everyone's tolerance/appetite for heat and fan noise is different--if you are happy with your 2011 MBP, I am delighted for you. Truly. And if you are posting about your results, and what you find in your instance is that your 2011 machine runs cool--that is also wonderful.

ninjaboi21

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2010
My temps on a MBP 15" 2.2GHz with 7200RPM harddrive

• Battery @ 31°
  • CPU 1 @ 61°
  • CPU 2 @ 62°
  • CPU A @ 54°
  • Enclosure @ 35°
  • GPU @ 52°
  • Heatsink B @ 52°
  • Heatsink C @ 49°
  • Left Palm Rest @ 31°
  • HDD @ 35°

I can see many of you are taking a big interest in the CPU heat - but how about the palm rests? Is it just me or does yours also run annoying hot, just when idling and browsing the web? It may have something to do with 7200RPM, but the other palm rest (above the battery) should be cool but it's not. I went to an Apple Premium Reseller and their 2.0GHz 15" model was really cool compared to mine, even though it has been used all day long.

I'm thinking about returning it (I'm almost 80% sure something is wrong with my HDD, fans idling at 2500 for the most and sometimes just goes crazy when idling) and get the 2.0GHz 15" model instead and use the saved money on a nice SSD. Even go hybrid or full SSD, I'm not sure. If I chose that solution, would I notice any/big improvements in noise, heat (thinking about the palm rests here, not CPU) and battery level?

iZero

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2011
Thanks. I don't know that there is a huge problem with heat, either--but I do know the fan speeds have been increased, that the TDP increased, and that Ivy Bridge will have a die shrink...so I thought some sensible, measured advice was in order.

There are people who clearly aren't having any issues, and everyone's tolerance/appetite for heat and fan noise is different--if you are happy with your 2011 MBP, I am delighted for you. Truly. And if you are posting about your results, and what you find in your instance is that your 2011 machine runs cool--that is also wonderful.

You've been very fair with your posts! :) I think some get a little jumpy, because around this time every year, the web gets chock full of posts that exist purely to scare people, telling new users that perfectly normal temps are "dangerously hot" and "failure is imminent" and their laptop will be "melting the ozone layer"... Your post was very fair. You talked about the noise of the fans IF it gets hot, and the actual, numerical rating changes that may or may not affect people. And you're correct, if those things will bother a prospective buyer, it's best they look elsewhere perhaps for their needs :)

All in all, yours is about the best thread regarding heat thus far. It's really the only fair one, I think. You never try to scare anyone, you simply inform them. And are open to others having different experiences. Good on you :)

mike2732

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2011
My temps on a MBP 15" 2.2GHz with 7200RPM harddrive

• Battery @ 31°
  • CPU 1 @ 61°
  • CPU 2 @ 62°
  • CPU A @ 54°
  • Enclosure @ 35°
  • GPU @ 52°
  • Heatsink B @ 52°
  • Heatsink C @ 49°
  • Left Palm Rest @ 31°
  • HDD @ 35°

I can see many of you are taking a big interest in the CPU heat - but how about the palm rests? Is it just me or does yours also run annoying hot, just when idling and browsing the web? It may have something to do with 7200RPM, but the other palm rest (above the battery) should be cool but it's not. I went to an Apple Premium Reseller and their 2.0GHz 15" model was really cool compared to mine, even though it has been used all day long.

I'm thinking about returning it (I'm almost 80% sure something is wrong with my HDD, fans idling at 2500 for the most and sometimes just goes crazy when idling) and get the 2.0GHz 15" model instead and use the saved money on a nice SSD. Even go hybrid or full SSD, I'm not sure. If I chose that solution, would I notice any/big improvements in noise, heat (thinking about the palm rests here, not CPU) and battery level?

No you wouldn't see a difference in noise or heat... Why? Because you got a lemon. I have the high-end 15" w/ 2.3 GHz, and mine runs cooler than yours: 47 C @ 3000RPM (set by me, I can't hear it at all over music) with Chrome, iTunes, and Adium running. Just exchange it for another. Not worth downgrading to 2.0 GHz cause than you lose that epic gfx card!

Also I recently installed Windows 7 and BF:Bad Company 2. Running on medium settings @ 1680x1050 for 1 hour, I was at ~80 C at 6000 RPM (I'm paranoid and don't want it going too high). Also I don't plan on running at Max RPM every time I game, I have a cooling pad that's incredibly effective which I still have to test... I'm sure I'll get much better temps with it.

adrian1480

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2010
my temps:

screenshot20110315at644.png

not completely idle, but fairly close to it. a few updates running and chrome open with about 30 tabs.

basically approx. the same temperatures I got from my 2010 last year.

2011 17" 2.2.

ninjaboi21

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2010
No you wouldn't see a difference in noise or heat... Why? Because you got a lemon. I have the high-end 15" w/ 2.3 GHz, and mine runs cooler than yours: 47 C @ 3000RPM (set by me, I can't hear it at all over music) with Chrome, iTunes, and Adium running. Just exchange it for another. Not worth downgrading to 2.0 GHz cause than you lose that epic gfx card!

Also I recently installed Windows 7 and BF:Bad Company 2. Running on medium settings @ 1680x1050 for 1 hour, I was at ~80 C at 6000 RPM (I'm paranoid and don't want it going too high). Also I don't plan on running at Max RPM every time I game, I have a cooling pad that's incredibly effective which I still have to test... I'm sure I'll get much better temps with it.

So to have the lemon is a bad thing?
But what purposes does an 'epic' GFX have, other than playing games on higher settings? I don't even tend to play games anymore, I just don't find it that fun anymore. If I would play any game, it would be Minecraft or WoW - neither of them require epic GFXs, and if I bought the low 15" instead, I could use the saved money on a SSD, as I said, which would give me much better performance than the higher GFX when doing 'desktop' stuff.

By the way, if I got the 2.0GHz 15" and replaced the default 5400RPM harddrive with an SSD - the heat on the palm rests would be lower, right?

Last edited:

t0rr3s

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
Does anyone else get their cobs on reading things like "I'm a university professor so you'd better reevaluate your poorly structured opinion before even contemplating taking your bow on my esteemed pedestal"? I have to say as an architect, it's piss poor form.

I agree with Ms Teri though.

Exana

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
Hello,

Best
LaForge

Thanks for this. Can you tell about fan speed and noise from both ones during ?

The new MacBook Pro 15” 2,2 GHz 2011 replaces my MacBook Pro 15” Core 2 Duo 2,66 GHz. I don't have booth at the same time to compare but it seems the new one runs cooler with same level of noise during heavy work.

By the way, I noticed :
MacBook Pro 2009 :
Core 2 Duo 2,66 GHz : 35 watts
GeForce 9400m : 12 watts
GeForce 9600m GT : ~25 watts

MacBook Pro 2010 :
Core i7-620m 2,66 GHz : 35 watts
GeForce 330m GT : 25~27 watts
PCH : 3,5 watts

MacBook Pro 2011 :
Core i7-2720QM 2,2 GHz : 45 watts
Radeon HD 6750m : ~30 watts
PCH : 4 watts

All part do not run at max TDP all the time (fortunately) ! The GeForce 9400m IGP did not run as GPU when GeForce 9600m GT is used but it the same way with Core i7. When the dedicated GPU works, the IGP doesn't. Also, I noticed Apple clocks the GeForce 330m GT at 500 MHz from 575 MHz allowed by NVIDIA. With MacBook Pro 2011, Apple uses the max freq for the Radeon HD 6750 and goes with the more powerful CPUs. No compromise with power ! So MacBook Pro 2011 have to deal with a much higher TDPs thus fans may have to run at higher speed to keep same kind of temps.

I also remember my 2009 MacBook Pro uses 12 watts when idle and my 2011 unit only needs 7,5 watts (same screen bright, 4 Go, wifi on, no back light for keyboard, 5400 rpm HDD).

My 2 cents.

PS : sorry for my poor english.

auxplage

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2004
Virginia Beach
MBP - 15" - Intel Core - 1st Generation

Clearly none of you have ever used, or forget, the very first MacBook Pro on which I am currently typing. I just placed my order for a brand new 15", and I can safely say that nothing can be hotter than THIS. :)

It idles between 65-72° and regularly gets up to 90° in no time flat. I am used to it - no big deal.

Thus, this does not scare me.

thunng8

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2006
Thanks for this. Can you tell about fan speed and noise from both ones during ?

The new MacBook Pro 15” 2,2 GHz 2011 replaces my MacBook Pro 15” Core 2 Duo 2,66 GHz. I don't have booth at the same time to compare but it seems the new one runs cooler with same level of noise during heavy work.

By the way, I noticed :
MacBook Pro 2009 :
Core 2 Duo 2,66 GHz : 35 watts
GeForce 9400m : 12 watts
GeForce 9600m GT : ~25 watts

MacBook Pro 2010 :
Core i7-620m 2,66 GHz : 35 watts
GeForce 330m GT : 25~27 watts
PCH : 3,5 watts

MacBook Pro 2011 :
Core i7-2720QM 2,2 GHz : 45 watts
Radeon HD 6750m : ~30 watts
PCH : 4 watts

All part do not run at max TDP all the time (fortunately) ! The GeForce 9400m IGP did not run as GPU when GeForce 9600m GT is used but it the same way with Core i7. When the dedicated GPU works, the IGP doesn't. Also, I noticed Apple clocks the GeForce 330m GT at 500 MHz from 575 MHz allowed by NVIDIA. With MacBook Pro 2011, Apple uses the max freq for the Radeon HD 6750 and goes with the more powerful CPUs. No compromise with power ! So MacBook Pro 2011 have to deal with a much higher TDPs thus fans may have to run at higher speed to keep same kind of temps.

I also remember my 2009 MacBook Pro uses 12 watts when idle and my 2011 unit only needs 7,5 watts (same screen bright, 4 Go, wifi on, no back light for keyboard, 5400 rpm HDD).

My 2 cents.

PS : sorry for my poor english.

Check the anandtech review on thermals for some definitive numbers:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4205/the-macbook-pro-review-13-and-15-inch-2011-brings-sandy-bridge/14

The new 2011 machine sucks up to 40W more than the 2010 model when using processor intensive tasks. If fact, even more power than the 85W power adaptor can provide (ie. I think in some circumstances the 2011 model would need to take the maximum power from the adaptor + power from the battery).

No wonder the fans have to work harder.

adrian1480

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2010
Check the anandtech review on thermals for some definitive numbers:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4205/the-macbook-pro-review-13-and-15-inch-2011-brings-sandy-bridge/14

The new 2011 machine sucks up to 40W more than the 2010 model when using processor intensive tasks. If fact, even more power than the 85W power adaptor can provide (ie. I think in some circumstances the 2011 model would need to take the maximum power from the adaptor + power from the battery).

No wonder the fans have to work harder.

I don't see the fans working "harder". I simply see them turning on sooner than last year's models. I think they just remapped the speed with which the fans engage at the range of potential temperatures.

I remember on my 2010, the fans sometimes wouldn't kick on until the CPU was in the mid 90's C. it was ridiculous. On my 2011, they ramp up in the mid 80's, which is much more reasonable. Naturally, with that earlier ramp-up, they will become audible sooner than in the past. I'd rather have an audible MBP that I know is cooling my rig off before it hits 90C-100C than a silent rig that I couldn't be sure would still be working in a few years due to a lifetime of high temps.

$0.02

mrmister

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
"Clearly none of you have ever used, or forget, the very first MacBook Pro on which I am currently typing. I just placed my order for a brand new 15", and I can safely say that nothing can be hotter than THIS."

That's true--those were absolutely ridiculous.

I do feel that they set a tone that the MBP has always battled with since then--I feel like I didn't see that many user complaints about heat and noise with the PowerBooks, or that may just be nostalgia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.