If you couldn't use iPhone anymore, what smartphone OS would you use?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Calidude, Jan 13, 2012.

?

If you couldn't use iPhone anymore, what smartphone OS would you use?

1. Android

171 vote(s)
    49.4%
  2. Windows Phone

143 vote(s)
    41.3%
  3. Blackberry

28 vote(s)
    8.1%
  4. Symbian/Nokia Belle

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  5. Bada

2 vote(s)
    0.6%
  1. Calidude, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012

Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

There was a similar topic to this a while ago, but I decided to make a thread with a full fledged poll.

Another thing, if you want to post something that sounds like "herp, I'm an adult but can't read or follow directions and I'm 100% Apple fanboi supreme with cheese and even though I'm being completely irrelevant to this thread by saying this, I would make my own iPhone in my garage derp" then just don't post. Ok? Go to another thread. Seriously, I'm just trying to see what people would pick instead.

Anyway, I'd pick Windows Phone. Nice design, great battery life, seems stable, and while I wouldn't switch to it now because of lack of apps and features, I think it has the potential to snatch away more people from iPhone than Android does.

Also, for the poll, I decided to include Smartphone OS's that are currently being sold or aren't to be discontinued, so sorry to anybody who is interested in Meego or Tizen. One is on its way out and the other isn't ready yet.

2. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

3. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

4. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Riiiightttt

5. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Relax. Discussing the competition is healthy.

6. imahawki macrumors 6502a

Having used Android and iOS, I would buy a Windows phone if I HAD to buy a non iOS phone at this point. Android blows.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I don't think there is anything wrong with discussing the competition. But this is LITERALLY the third one of these I have seen this week. May not have had a poll on it though.

8. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

Yeah people were asking for a poll and I prefer the hard numbers on a poll myself because most people won't post when reading a thread like this.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would use Windows Phone 7.

I used to use Symbian exclusively, but Nokia's updates haven't been good in the last couple years. I picked up a Focus a while back and have loved it, so I will definitely pick up the next Nokia WP7 phone that coming States-side.

10. max pl macrumors regular

Windows Phone.

If iOS 6.0 doesnt drastically change the UI, which it likely wont, I'll be switching to WP Apollo.

That being said, I just bought a 4S this week as its the best smartphone out now IMO.
    Ran a Galaxy Nexus for two weeks and although its an improvement on older Android builds, its still not for me.

Only reason I didnt get an WP7 phone now is because I will not buy a phone from the Koreans or from HTC; absolutely hate all the designs.
    Once I can purchase a Nokia on Verizon, I'm there. Preferably 3.7 to 4.3 inch screen @ at least 720p, or anything higher than the current offerings.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I'm an adult but can't read or follow directions and I'm 100% Apple fanboi supreme with cheese and even though I'm being completely irrelevant to this thread by saying this, I would make my own iPhone in my garage.

12. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

ROFL! Very nice!

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Also, I wonder if anyone would fall into the category of "I would rather not use a smartphone at all without iPhone". Without Android, I probably wouldn't use one myself.

14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If no more iPhone... I'd probably go back to a "dumb" phone, i.e. non-smartphone, like my old Motorola i730 flip phone. I really liked that old phone.

15. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

I think you're completely right in that respect. The Asian manufacturers tend to push out really crappy quality products that all look the same and come with sub-standard components while the Finnish and Americans have a better understanding of what makes a really nice product.

Getting Nokia was the best choice Microsoft could have made. I think Lumia 900 will be the closest thing to an Apple-quality product without being made by Apple and it will steal away the most sales from Android and Blackberry.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I loved the original razr on TMO.

17. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

18. Calidude thread starter macrumors 68000

Calidude

The beauty of iPhone is that it changed what phones mean to people. I would have a tough time going back to a regular phone. In 5 or more years, "dumbphones" won't exist anymore.

19. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I can't front... I loved my Nextel i870 Lol

That was the last phone I had before the iPhone

20. Merkie macrumors 68020

In 5 years time your phone will be faster than your current computer.

21. Hastings101, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012

Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'd use Windows Phone 7. I loved my Samsung Focus windows phone, the OS was the best I'd used, so much better than iOS and Android. If the second generation of windows phones had included a dual core processor option I wouldn't be using an iPhone 4S.

22. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

Windows Phone has an elegance that I'm not sure even iOS has. Of course, I've used only iOS since 2008.

23. Savor Suspended

Savor

I would use them all! Even ones like MeeGo, webOS, and BBX (aka QNX).

But if I had to choose one, I would pick Windows Phone but only slightly. The question is a a little harder for me to decide between it vs Android beyond first glance. I think WP has more visual flair and I can understand why iOS users want it because it is silky smooth, elegant, stable, and quick, but Android has more brains and versatility. Sometimes trying to be TOO simple can have its drawbacks in the long run. And the WP Marketplace still lacks vs the Android Market. I couldn't even find a decent Craigslist app for WP while Android has a couple decent choices which are FREE. Same can be said for the Google Voice app. The one I have for my Focus is too buggy.

I think Microsoft can make better products and are much better at making software from their decades of experience, but I also rely alot on Google's services. I would rather use Google than Bing. GMail, GMaps, and GV are a must for me. Having a Google Voice # has saved me a ton on text messenging and the Talkatone for iOS makes it possible for me to call my parents back in the States for FREE. And the reception is even better than Magic Jack. Side loading apps is also much easier to do on Android.

But I still would choose WP for stability and consistency across many phones which Android phones are usually not. WP might be the most stable mobile OS I have ever had. I don't recall any crashes and uninstalling apps are quick. The Metro UI is also consistent across many of the apps on WP. But when it comes to more functions and customization, Android does beat WP in those areas. I love the different app launchers. My left brain would tell me to pick WP. More logical choice. The right brain tells me to get a bit more creative and use Android.

Both WP and Android also have something the iOS lacks alot in. A live tile or widget to glance at information without always opening a different app from the next.

SPB Shell 3D (Android)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVU84J1ShSQ

24. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Windows phone without a doubt.

When Windows Phone grows more and HD screens become standard it would be too tempting.