If you have ipad 3 why would you buy ipad mini??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by richpuer, Oct 16, 2012.

1. richpuer macrumors 6502

seems like downgrading...i dont get it...seems like it would just be an oversized ipod..especially with no 4g/lte data

2. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Maybe it's more for people who haven't bought a tablet yet? Or have a 7" device but would rather have an iOS device? It doesn't have to be for everyone who also has a 9.7" iPad. And who is to say its a downgrade? For all we know this thing could be just as powerful as the new iPad only in 7.85". Also, all the rumors agree there will be 4G variants.

3. AppleWarMachine macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Reasons have been posted many, many times.

As a lighter, more portable second tablet.
    Tablet for your kid.
    As a gift.
    Something to use during the 27.8 hours it takes your iPad 3 to charge. :p

5. KandyKane macrumors 6502

Who said it doesn't have LTE/Data?
    Some people find the iPad heavy, too big to fit in handbags etc.

I would keep my iPad, but might get one for days when I'm carrying too much to Uni.

6. SirAvila macrumors newbie

Only reason i could think of buying the iPad Mini is it's more portable and light and contains , nay , Out performs the iPad 3 specs. Which is unlikely from reading all rumor articles from reliable sources. So i'll probably wait till the next iPad Mini or 2.

7. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

First of all, iPad mini isn't the successor of 9.7". Think of it like MBA, MBP and iMac which come in 2 sizes. Not everyone wants a 10" tablet and/or not willing to spend $500 on a tablet. iPad mini would be ideal for those people.

8. richpuer thread starter macrumors 6502

great reasons...didn't think of those before...guess ill be clearing the work schedule to stand in line for launch

9. urkel macrumors 68030

I sold my iPad 3 about 2mo after buying it because te size kept me from taking it anywhere and was a terrible night reader because its not comfortable to hold in bed. The Mini solves all that so in no way would I consider "smaller" to be a downgrade.

10. SirAvila macrumors newbie

It's not really the smaller factor that makes it a downgrade , Just the specs are predicted to be on par with the iPad 2. Which would consider it a downgrade since it's not to date with the specs of an iPad 3.

11. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I have an iPad [3] and have no intention of buying an iPad Mini. But that's not to say there are others who would buy one. It's all about personal preference and needs or wants.

12. xofruitcake macrumors 6502a

because it is lighter and smaller? I have an Ipad 3. When I go on trip, I take my Ipad 3 and use it in the hotel instead of the window laptop. But I won't bring the Ipad 3 walking around. Ipad 3 is a portable device but not a mobile device. The 1 1/2 lb weight and smaller size make it a winner against laptop. But holding it on one hand and use it for a long time is tough.. I need to shift my hand position every 3 to 4 minutes. An 8 inches tablet weight 8-9 oz will be pretty easy to use. For woman, they can put an 8 inches tablet in her handbag.

13. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

I don't ave 4G/LTE on my iPad now. That's what my hotspot feature on my phone is for. I simply would like a much lighter iPad. The Kindle Fire seems like a nice size.

14. urkel macrumors 68030

This isnt a popular theory, but I dont feel the iPad Mini will be crippled in specs and will actually exceed the iPad 3 for several reasons:

- Apple will likely put iPad and Mini on same release schedule which means it wouldnt get an update until Spring 2014 so the specs need to be top notch

- Its only 4mo until iPad 4 so giving the Mini superior specs wouldnt last long because the iPad4 will be a real powerhouse

- The price difference between a 16GB iPad and 16GB iPad Mini is only $150 so there is no need to make it a drastic spec difference

- Siri doesnt run on iPad 2. IF thats a spec restriction then I dont think Apple would impose that on a brand new device.

- Apple actually has competition nowadays and considering their enormous profit margins then they would still be highly profitable while also giving a product that eats the competitors

So my feeling is that the iPad Mini will be lightning, A6, 1GB RAM for the standard versions (8/16GB) but but possibly put an IGZO screen or retina for the higher end ones (32/64GB).

Obviously I know nothing but I just dont see Apple going too cheap on what could possibly be the product that destroys every tablet competitor out there.

15. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

I certainly hope you're right, it's what I'd like to see. But I just can't see Apple releasing all of their big products in a 2-3 month window. I'd expect minis in the fall and full sized iPads in spring. Unless they go for lower specs now and upgrade with regular iPad refresh in March.

16. iAi macrumors 6502

I will be pre-ordering for sure! The question is how many ... for my brother, sister (they don't have any iTablet) and myself.

For travels - it is lighter and easier to pack than iPad.

For reading - it is for sure lighter and will be like a Kindle for marathon reading.

17. seajewel macrumors 6502

I don't know if apple will do that. I always felt like an iPad mini being released before holiday season would be a much better choice than being released 9 months before Christmas. The size and the price make it such a great christmas present for children/teens/spouses, but I hate buying anything new that will be updated in 3 months. I'd rather all the iPads (or at least the iPad mini) be updated for the holiday season and stuff like desktops/laptops be updated in March. Those are less commonly given as Christmas presents and more of a practical back-to-school or work device.

18. iAi macrumors 6502

Yes.

iPad - home use; watching Netflix.

iPad mini - traveling overseas and marathon reading; gives away (Christmas gift) to my sister & brother & parents!

19. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

reports say it will have mobile options

also, it'll be the perfect size for turn-by-turn

and reading books

needs retina, though. that's the biggest downgrade if rumors are true

20. aneftp macrumors 68040

Price matters to 90-95% of the general public.

Releasing an "iPad" even if its the mini version at a price less than $299 will sell even with 8GB.

It's like the BMW 3 series. Sure the 7 series is the more luxurious car. But BMW sells the most cars in the 3 series cause its cheaper and smaller.

21. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

My thoughts exactly. I recently picked up a Nexus 7 to use in addition to my iPad 3 and love the smaller form factor. It hasn't replaced my iPad but rather complements it. There's times/places where it's just easier or more convenient to carry and use a 7" device rather than a 10" tablet. I'll probably be picking up one for my son for Christmas and if I didn't already have the Nexus, would likely get another for my wife and I to use.

22. sers macrumors regular

I'd buy one or two for the kids so they could stop using my iPad 3!

23. iAi macrumors 6502

24. poloponies macrumors 68030

8-9 ounces? Not possible. The Kindle is nearly 14 ounces and the Nexus is over 12. It still uses a glass display and battery and neither one is light.

25. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

It's been shown that the iPad 3 is the same speed or even slower than the iPad 2 at many tasks, because even though the iPad 3 has more processing power, it has 4 times the pixels to push.

So, even if it has iPad2-like specs, the iPad Mini would then theoretically be about as fast as the iPad3 anyway.

But we don't really know the specs, so it's hard to say one way or the other.

That's pretty damn light. Where did you hear that weight? Or did you just make it up?

Even if it doesn't have retina, the mere fact it is physically smaller means the DPI will be higher than the iPad2. So it's sort of halfway between non-retina and retina. I think we'll see retina for the iPad Mini 2.