Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
reports say it will have mobile options

also, it'll be the perfect size for turn-by-turn

and reading books

needs retina, though. that's the biggest downgrade if rumors are true

agreed, no retina is a deal breaker for me.

i went from an iPad 2 to the iPad Retina and now i could never go back to a regular tablet screen

Russiaone

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Biggest reason I didn't get an iPad 3 is because the damn thing is too big. I don't like the idea of lugging that thing all over the place. Got a Nexus 7 and the size is nigh-perfect.

So the Mini would be awesome for me. Also, I miss not having all the iOS goodies on my N7, so now I'm really getting that itch for a new Apple device, since I passed on the new iPhone.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I don't know if I need it but I sure want it.

I used to try to rationalize buying stuff by inventing uses for it.

It's gone beyond that now. :)

kyellowness

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2012
I wouldn't buy an iPad Mini for myself since I already have an iPad, but perhaps for my children, or people who don't have an iPad already, or people who prefer smaller screens, this would be perfect.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I will certainly get one, however I probably won't buy one right away. I just got my iPad 3 on release day and I really would like this one to last me 2 years. If the price is right I might reconsider and get it sooner. The specs on it are not a big deal to me, neither is the retina. I basically want a smaller iPad for Internet and a battery that charges a lot faster.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I don't know if I need it but I sure want it.

I used to try to rationalize buying stuff by inventing uses for it.

It's gone beyond that now. :)

I'm right there with ya. I'm still trying to recover from my $603 iPhone 5 (32GB, $250 early upgrade, $36 regular upgrade fee, taxes) and I'm already figuring out ways to justify a new iPad Mini.

It's so hard to exercise discipline when they keep releasing all these shiny toys!

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Portability.

I had my 64GB for a few months and it was taken out of my house twice.

BTW, if the latest rumor from cnet's Apple Byte is true that it will only be available in Wi-Fi I will not buy it until LTE comes out.

Deako

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
United Kingdom
I'll be getting one for the wife. Something a little more portable than our iPad 3 that she can carry in her handbag. It will be a wifi only model, as we both have unlimited data plans and can use our iphones as portable hotspots.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Portability.

I had my 64GB for a few months and it was taken out of my house twice.

BTW, if the latest rumor from cnet's Apple Byte is true that it will only be available in Wi-Fi I will not buy it until LTE comes out.

Can't you just tether?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I might get one when the screen looks better then the iPad2. Given the assumption of no retina but smaller screen there is a good chance that it look close to retina as the pixel will be smaller. Maybe as a iPod touch replacement; not sure yet. Do I need. No. Do I want. Sure.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
seems like downgrading...i dont get it...seems like it would just be an oversized ipod..especially with no 4g/lte data

I have TWO iPad 3's and i will buy the mini!

No you do not "get it", but that is OK. To each his own, let people do as they wish with their money

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
If this had retina (unlikely), I'd probably sell my new iPad and use the mini instead. Not a money issue, it's just I wouldn't use the new iPad anymore. I generally use my mba when I'm at home, and my iPad on the go and for lean back browsing/rss feeds etc. A mini would be far better for me on the go.

Sadly, lack of retina is a deal breaker. I've heard some arguments saying it's a go, I desperately want to believe.....but I don't. It's surely a version 2 "feature" I imagine.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Come on you know folks will buy anything with an apple on it, just because, because. All the other reasons posted is just people trying to justify their insatiable need for apple products.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
All the other reasons posted is just people trying to justify their insatiable need for apple products.

True for many, but not me. I'd love a smaller retina iPad, it'd be far more useful to me on the go. I've a 3G Galaxy Tab 7.7 (the expensive, samoled+ one, not to be confused with the gash 7" ones) rocking cm10. Awesome piece of kit, fits in my jacket pocket, or trousers in a pinch, and is fabulous on the go for browsing/video/ebooks etc. I generally prefer iOS though for it's integration with my phone and macs, so I'd ditch both my tab and iPad 3 if a retina mini came along.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
True for many, but not me. I'd love a smaller retina iPad, it'd be far more useful to me on the go. I've a 3G Galaxy Tab 7.7 (the expensive, samoled+ one, not to be confused with the gash 7" ones) rocking cm10. Awesome piece of kit, fits in my jacket pocket, or trousers in a pinch, and is fabulous on the go for browsing/video/ebooks etc. I generally prefer iOS though for it's integration with my phone and macs, so I'd ditch both my tab and iPad 3 if a retina mini came along.

Nah, I can understand this reason and also for professional uses. My Dr. uses an ipad and it looks a little cumbersome at times for his use, I'm sure he would more than appreciate the size of an ipad mini.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I think we may have wandered from what the OP asked, which was if you already have an iPad 3 why would also get an additional iPad in a smaller size. People then started commenting in a general sense why some people would prefer to buy an iPad mini *instead* of an iPad 3.

Aside from tech enthusiasts who will buy any new gadget, I don't think most people would get an iPad mini with intention of keeping their iPad 3--its redundant and wasteful. I can certainly see some selling their iPad 3 and then picking up a mini because they feel its a better product for them. Then there will be those who will sell their iPad 3, but a mini, sell the mini, then repurchase a full sized iPad 3 or 4.

It's funny how when the original iPad was first released people marveled about how much more portable it was as opposed to a laptop. Now, with the smaller iPad coming out, you'd think that iPad 3 was a Mac Pro strapped to your back. :)

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
I have been waiting to sell my ipad3 for a smaller tablet- but I recently compared the image quality of the retina screen vs a friend's iPad 2.
We both agree- hands down the retina is a MAJOR upgrade.

As much as I want a lighter/smaller tablet- It will be very hard to sell and go back to low rez.

I may wait and compare mini to nook HD.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
My instinct is to lecture people on not needing every damn ios device and that your lives will be fine without 2 ipads.

But I pay for cable, which I don't need (and would really help me out financially if I didn't buy it), and internet, etc. I have a pad and an iphone. I'm not getting a mini, but I don't begrudge people who do. It does seem like a bit of an indulgence at this point but who am I to judge.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
If we were all carbon copy duplicates of each other this would be a valid question. However everybody's lifestyles are different so there will be no black or white answer.

With that said. I have 3 iPads and don't need or want an iPad mini. But I'll be buying at least 4 of them for Xmas gifts this year.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
My iPad 3 is just too big and not portable enough. I'll probably buy the mini and hand down the 3 to a family member. But I'll need to see the screen first if it's not retina.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Perfect size for a reader, so im looking to replace our older Nook with it.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Have an iPad 3 LTE 32GB currently. If the mini screen gains my approval this is my plan:

Sell Nexus 7 regardless (case + 8GB for $150 if anyone is interested ;))

Either request a 32gb LTE iPad mini for christmas then come next march sell my iPad 3 and upgrade to the 4.

-or-

IF they update the iPad 3, I'll sell it now - buy a mini 32GB LTE then buy the 4 when it comes out in March.

Either way, I'll be using both the 10" and the mini ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.