If you seen your waiter wearing an apple watch....

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Bigboiiiii, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Bigboiiiii macrumors member

Would you tip less? (Under the assumption that if they can afford luxuries like the apple watch they don't need the tip as bad?)

2. tylerdw89 macrumors 6502

We're really digging deep for thread topics.

3. My Name is URL macrumors 6502

What kind of question is that? Of course I wouldn't. I tip purely on service alone.

4. Mythicstatus2 macrumors regular

5. Speechless macrumors 6502

I would tip like I usually tip. What kind of thread my gosh.

Also, what is with the entitled mindsets on this forum? just because someone works in service they can't afford a watch?

6. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

If they provided a good service, it would not influence my tip at all. People who are good at their job deserve to be rewarded.

7. coffeemadmanUK macrumors 6502a

coffeemadmanUK

:p

I really thought the same.

Answer to the question: no.

They might have saved up hard for one nice purchase. Who am I to judge them?

8. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

We're really gauging servers' potential tips by the quality of their accessories now? :rolleyes:

9. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

I'd tip normal and send him an animated thumbs up emoji.

10. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

You are an awful human being if you tip your waiter/waitress more or less depending on what jewelry they are wearing and not on the quality of their service.

11. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

12. rick98761 macrumors 6502

Should your salary go down after you buy an Apple watch?

13. Salinger macrumors member

Salinger

Okay, it may be time to completely shut down the Apple Watch forums for a month or so until enough people have their watches that we can actually talk about the watch, and not create ridiculous threads just to say something; anything. :rolleyes:

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Maybe I've never paid attention but I've never noticed a watch on the wait staff. They're allowed to wear a watch while working for sanitary reasons?

15. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 6502a

I hate this crap. Just because someone has nice things doesn't mean they don't deserve them because of their income level.

Picture somewhat related.

Attached Files:

16. LxTxNx macrumors 6502

LxTxNx

My standard tip no matter service is double tax (9.25-10% I live in the Bay Area ) even if service was mediocre since they still brought out my food and drinks. If the service was extraordinary I tip accordingly. I don't care what anyone who helps me wears. People should spend their money however they want.

17. Bigboiiiii thread starter macrumors member

I only asked because I work as a waiter and was genuinely curious if people would judge based on something like this. It's not like I can ask my customers their opinions so I thought I'd come to the forums and see what people thought. Sorry for making everyone so angry.

18. Sophrosyne macrumors member

I tip based on service, not what my server is wearing. WTF?

19. SixtyK macrumors 6502a

SixtyK

I'm not wealthy. Not even close. I'm a single dad that lives paycheck to paycheck most of the time. When the Apple Watch was announced last year I decided to see (not knowing what they would cost) if I could save up for one so each week after I paid rent, utilities, groceries, took care of my daughter's needs, I set a few dollars aside toward a watch fund (between $5 and $20 most weeks). When they announced the pricing and a preorder date, I found I was able to get myself one.

Did I need to do it? Absolutely not. This was a want. But even people like myself who don't have a lot, sometimes feel the desire to do something nice for ourselves and should not have to justify it to others or explain ourselves.

20. PantherHollow macrumors newbie

Let's ask it from the waiters perspective.......
    If you serve someone with terrible grammar, saying things like "If you SEEN your waiter...." do you immediately think they are uneducated and poor?

21. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 6502a

The answer is yes, people are going to assume you don't need the money. Because while there are some of us who understand that not everyone who has something nice is well-off, there's a culture at least in the US that believes everyone on welfare is buying booze, steak, and iPhones with it.

22. totten76 macrumors regular

totten76

Freaking love this

23. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

People who look for excuses to tip less will tip less accordingly due to the watch, while people who tip based on service will tip the same amount. It'd probably net you less tips in a chain restaurant honestly.

24. zone23 macrumors 68000

So what are you saying waiters are poor? Boy aren't you on a high horse. What is wrong with people today?