Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Attirex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
No, it's stupid because:

1) It's a resurrected thread that was dead for several months and died for a good reason (see below). Thread necro-ing is bad netiquette.

2) The thread topic-- "would you tip less if waiter was wearing an AW?" is a pointless exercise that adds absolutely nothing to the AW body of knowledge.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
No, it's stupid because:

1) It's a resurrected thread that was dead for several months and died for a good reason (see below). Thread necro-ing is bad netiquette.

2) The thread topic-- "would you tip less if waiter was wearing an AW?" is a pointless exercise that adds absolutely nothing to the AW body of knowledge.

Then:

1.) You have the option of leaving the thread, with your micro-managed comments on how to direct a thread have proven nothing and you achieved zero results by commenting on the word 'Stupid' multiple times.

2.) Moderators make the decision to lock threads, if the thread has lost its purpose based off topic, not some random call-out from another forum member stating "Mods, shut this down."

3.) And the OP who started the thread on the Apple Watch, the subject still applies to the Apple Watch, but indirectly.

4.) You obviously commented on the the thread, when you could have easily ignored the thread and moved onto something else. Which now incorporates everyone else reading how you cheapened the thread by using the word "Stupid" sophomorically.

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
You tip a waiter based on quality of service. Not what's on their wrist. Besides, an Applewatch isn't exactly a status symbol these days, in fact no smartwatch is. That's why sales are down. The market is oversaturated. Everybody has one.

Reactions: dmanthony1

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
If i spend $100 at a restaurant, im not going to tip more than $10 because my waiter did a decent job. especially since the $60 filet mignon i ordered wasn't even brought out by the waiter! your an idiot.

You do know thats how restaurants work, right? There are multiple positions in a restaurant. The one you described is called a Runner or Food-Runner. Their sole job is taking food to tables. I've spent over 10 years in the restaurant industry. You do know that the server has to tip out those that help him or her, right? Depending on the restaurant, upwards of 50% of the server's tips have to be shared with other employees. So if you leave $10 on $100, the server is lucky to get $5. You probably shouldn't go out to eat with your mindset.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I only asked because I work as a waiter and was genuinely curious if people would judge based on something like this. It's not like I can ask my customers their opinions so I thought I'd come to the forums and see what people thought. Sorry for making everyone so angry.

You should be good most the time. I hear some of the millennials do not tip at all! Do not see how some would consider an Apple watch that expensive, prices have really dropped for used ones.

I always tip 30% + for good service.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I generally tip 25%. The fact that the waiter/waitress has an Apple Watch wouldn't change my tip amount but it might cause me to have a conversation about the Apple Watch with them to find out favorite apps or tricks. If the restaurant was at a slow time.

Reactions: Matz

hinesmj

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
New York
You are quoting someone from BEFORE the original Apple Watch was released. Bigboiiiii has not even been on this forum in almost 2 years. People let this OLD OUTDATED thread DIE.

Haha! Did not even see that...it showed up on the recent Apple Watch threads...

Sword86

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2012
Would you tip less? (Under the assumption that if they can afford luxuries like the apple watch they don't need the tip as bad?)

It bothered me far more that you couldn’t post your question in the correct tense than it would to see my waiter wearing an AW.
I don’t see that it’s anyone’s business what the next guy chooses to spend their money on.
Well, unless they spend it on monster earlobe hoops, but I’m an old fart, will never understand it and have enough sense to keep my opinion to myself. Except here, anyway. S

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
It bothered me far more that you couldn’t post your question in the correct tense than it would to see my waiter wearing an AW.
I don’t see that it’s anyone’s business what the next guy chooses to spend their money on.
Well, unless they spend it on monster earlobe hoops, but I’m an old fart, will never understand it and have enough sense to keep my opinion to myself. Except here, anyway. S
Just 2 posts up.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...g-an-apple-watch.1872270/page-5#post-26356526

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Here I thought this thread was going to be about a new POS app on Apple Watch that allowed me to pay for my meal with Apple Pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.