Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ElctrcJellyfish

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2015
I didn't realize that waiters weren't allowed to have nice things. Geez.

As a personal matter, I'm still driving a 93 Toyota, so go ahead and judge me on my Watch.

Reactions: Royksöpp

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
Not to get on a high horse here, but I always tip at least 20% for delivery and waiter service no matter what, even if the service sucked.

Same here.

I've got to imagine everyone here has had more than one bad day where they don't perform their job as well as they can. And I am going to assume that their bosses and management for the most part don't "stiff" them daily because of a "bad day".

Plasticstars

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
Wow, it's heartbreaking to think that some people feel this way. We're all humans, who's to say someone deserves something more than someone else.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Not to get on a high horse here, but I always tip at least 20% for delivery and waiter service no matter what, even if the service sucked.

Well, it depends .. since I have worked in many service type jobs. I can tell the difference between something out of their control, them having a bad day. And flat out being really bad at their job.

The only reason I reduce tip is for the last reason.

Let me give you a good real example. I was getting breakfast. It took them a long time to grab my order because they were busy talking to co-workers. No biggy ...

My food arrived cold because again, they were busy talking to co-workers. Now I am getting annoyed ...

I asked for a refill on coffee. On the way to refill my coffee they stopped to talk to another employee. For 15 minutes they joked and carried on. Nothing about work, just casual banter.

Asked for the check ... same thing, screwing around and not doing their job. Took another 15 minutes or so to get the check.

Do you think they deserve 20% tip ?

Another example: A restaurant that had only 1 waiter and 10 customers. Service was very slow. Do they deserve 20% tip ? Absolutely! Sometimes I will tip more.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Geekthology

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2015
I would tip like I usually tip. What kind of thread my gosh.

Also, what is with the entitled mindsets on this forum? just because someone works in service they can't afford a watch?

To be fair, it's always the service workers lashing out at customers cause they don't tip properly, and that's why they can't afford to live without alternative services. So, yes, his point is valid. If you can afford an expensive accessory then you're obviously either not hurting for cash flow or you're hurting yourself by not better managing your cash flow.

joeptp

macrumors regular
May 13, 2014
Austin, TX
Shouldn't matter at all.

My gf is a server and I am buying her the Apple Watch as a gift. I think it can really help her at work as she has the 6 Plus and doesn't like carrying it around. Now she can just use the watch for any important notifications. I wouldn't be surprised if you see a lot of servers using a smartwatch from now on so they can stop checking their phones during work.

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
LOL so are all waiters poor now? They probably make good money on tips and can save up to buy one! If they're doing a great job, Tip them good or tip them what you would normally tip them. Don't judge them by what they wear, Tips should be based on whether they do a good job or not. This Thread is ridiculous. :eek::eek:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Would you tip less? (Under the assumption that if they can afford luxuries like the apple watch they don't need the tip as bad?)
Holy **** balls. I would never tip waitstaff less because I assume they have nice things and do not need the tips. Where I live, tips are basically all waitstaff gets. They earn a couple bucks an hour just for kicks, but they don't make anything near minimum wage.

With that kind of attitude I would have to assume the waitstaff will treat you just as poorly as you'd treat them for having something nice. Sorry they don't look poor enough for you to open your wallet and tip based on service.

Iamgort

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2011
OP implies tipping is because of pity not quality of service.

I don't care if my waiter is wearing a $35 Timex Weekender or a $10,000 Rolex. If they provide excellent service my tip will be reflective of that because that is what they deserve. If the service is poor they will receive a very small one.

Koobs

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
While your at it you may as we'll ask him about the car he drives. If it's newer than five years old he must be making too much money to get a quality tip.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Voting for worst thread 2015

OP actually has a point though. There was a study done where people who were assumed to be better off received a smaller tip.

If you saw a waiter wearing a Rolex or driving a Porsche, you'd probably tip a few dollars less.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
A sport starts at $350 which honestly isn't much. Maybe if my waiter was wearing an edition and I wasn't eating at a $$$ restaurant, I'd raise my eyebrow a little but it wouldn't affect my tip.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
This thread is almost as bad as the thread posted the other day about someone wondering why Australians got their Apple Watch early.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.