If you think Apple Watch is not worth it...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Appl3FTW, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

then what is a better deal than the 349/599/10k apple watches?

what better watch/anything can you get for 399?

what better watch/anything can you get for 599?

what better watch/anything can you get for 10k?

Just curious.

2. falcora macrumors 6502

I think the point most people are trying to make is that they can get a regular watch for much less. They also don't see the Apple Watch as being capable of doing anything that you couldn't do by taking your iPhone out of your pocket.

Don't get me wrong, I'm for sure getting an Apple Watch, but I understand how others can perceive it to have a high cost for the convenience it adds.

3. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

1... LG watch

2... 349 apple watch

3... 349 apple watch and literally every watch out there

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I think right now it's a lot like the iPad was when it launched. There were some uses you could find for it, but they weren't as major as an iPhone replacing the other phone more people were carrying with them all the time. Sure enough I'm in college and can't believe more of these younger kids don't have one for digital textbooks. They're often cheaper and obviously lighter. But almost every one of them has a notebook computer and smartphone.

I think perhaps a lot of the older generations are trending toward iPads. About every baby boomer I know has one. If parents get them, it almost seems to be for their kids.

So a $349+ watch is a tough sell without any proven usefulness for watches nowadays outside time on your wrist and some health tracking. There's a $129 FitBit that does that. Is the Apple Watch $230 better? It's obviously more capable, but time and usage will tell.

Honestly if Apple unveils a new Apple TV with an A8, easy-to-use Siri, a much-improved UI, an App Store and a Internet subscription service, that's going to be a much bigger deal for everybody than a smartwatch. But if the watch makes using that new Apple TV much easier, then that could be the killer app the watch possesses.

5. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

I think the interesting thing here is that it may be the iPad didn't have much of a use case after all. I admit, as an owner of an iPad 2 and an iPad mini 2, they get very little use since the larger iPhones have come along. There is a place for them for sure, but the recent sales numbers may suggest it is smaller than the early numbers would have predicted. Perhaps they were just a big iPhone after all.

For the OP, on the low end, it is all about need. For me, the Garmin fenix 3 fills my need for a watch far better than an :apple:Watch. That is me though, and I am sure there are many others for whom the :apple:Watch is a better buy. Looking at the high and even higher end, if I had the money to spend, I guess I would want something more lasting from a watch.

6. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Do you consider value based on what the competition is selling for or for what your usage is likely to be? A watch being a watch, the Apple watch is streets ahead as they got the design right (in my opinion). In terms of use, there are far too many compromises for the features on offer, battery life being a big one. Value should be measured on your preference on function:form ratio.

Apple price their gadgets with a much higher premium and that is typical of them. What you get though is something different. IOS, OS X, Apple TV etc are vastly different to the competition and that creates a it of an illusion of their justification for her prices. Sure, you get the ecosystem but at a big cost. I prefer it but it'd like lower prices as well. The Apple Watch doesn't fit it's price as it doesn't suggest it does much over the competition other than a smoother integration with your iPhone. I personally have a Fenix 3 and think it's the best watch I've ever owned. The battery life makes fun of the Apple Watch and the fact that it is the fitness device that Apple are trying to sell (but doesn't have) it sets itself apart from the competition. All it doesn't have is the same level of integration with IOS but that might be a bit overrated.

What do you need in your wrist? A retina screen? A microphone? A less accurate heart rate sensor? Turn by turn navigation? I think these are pushing the technology too far and creating the compromises. Version 2 of the Apple Watch is unlikely to offer much more in terms of battery life but I can't see Apple going backwards and removing some features. A solution might be to 'refuel' via the Lightning port on your iPhone.

I think I went off on a bit of a tangent but my point is this. Value is not merely about what else is available at what price. It's about how you value these things. You are going to over pay for any of these. You might as well pick the one you can justify the best. The Apple Watch doesn't come close for me. Great looking watch though.

7. Micky Do, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015

Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

No Watch

No watch at all……

I have not had one since the flash waterproof to 100 metres Ana-Digi job I bought more than three decades ago proved better at keeping water in than out within a few months of purchase. It had only ever been occasionally splashed, never immersed.

And I seldom carry even a basic telephone, let alone the iPhone required to make the :apple:WATCH fully functional.

Yet I have a reputation for being on time. I stay in touch in person enough without being constantly on-line, and stay healthy without being monitored.

:apple:WATCH or any expensive watch is not worth it, unless you have a whole lot of spare cash to squander on trinkets and baubles.

8. FlatCable macrumors member

Not seeing any answers here... just escuses on why they are not buying the Apple Watch and why nobody should use their money for what they want...

----------

Basically what you are trying to say is that the Apple Watch will be full of defects and people are going to hate it.

You assume that it's battery life is subpar (don't you sleep every day?), the sensors don't work (have you compared the sensors on the Apple Watch... or just looked at them, VS the competition?), etc?

After 7 iterations, the iPhone still can't match a simple Nokia 3310 in battery life... but people forget they do so much more with it, use it for much more things everyday than just calls, and reach for it for so many more things... like lighting up the colorful and bright high-resolution professional color calibrated IPS screen for checking the time!

9. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

"Worth" is open to a pretty wide range of interpretation when it comes to this question. For some people a watch is simply for telling the time and you can get a watch that does that for $5. For some people wearing a watch is a jewelry accessory, the time doesn't really matter, and they can spend $5 or $30,000. For some people it's not at all about the time and they can spend $30,000 just so people know they can.

If I were to literally answer your question about what I could better with do with $10,000 I think the MacRumors site might overload from my answer taking up too much space.

10. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I don't know why you challenge the battery life argument as it is a fact that it is low and much lower than some very good competitors. The heart rate monitor technology is not proven to be as good as a chest strap and so yes, all indications point to it being inferior. The OP asked for what's better. Well, if we can only go on what we know, the Apple Watch has not proven itself in any area which would suggest it is inferior to all available smart watches. But, a bit of research shows how wrist based heart rate monitoring is not as reliable as chest straps.

I also never said that people are going to hate it or that its going to be full of defects. Where did you get that from? I think people will love it's design and find use in some of it's features. But, it compromises in areas that make it look rushed to market. If it sacrificed some elements that they are desperate to put in it, they would make it a useful gadget for longer. They'd still sell millions as they have many customers buying Apple because it's Apple. But they'd also sell many because of it's focus on availability over feature saturation.

11. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

No thanks. But you can have it.

By the way, kind of pointless thread. Better is very subjective. What is better for me is not better for someone else.

12. FlatCable, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015

FlatCable macrumors member

Apple's data:

Those are facts.

Can you point me the facts from LG? From Motorola? Form whatever you want?

That's right, you don't. Because they don't want to...

And you insist on that Apple is putting out a defective device, on that HRM thing. When you know nothing about it, and there are no comparable devices on the market.

And why "Apple" is "Apple"?

Because they don't put out crappy consumer products. That's how you earn reputation like Apple's. Despite people like you pretend that's just by chance or by force.

13. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

What? 18 hours is poor. The Pebble gets weeks as does the Fenix 3. If you want to run a marathon, you won't be using your Apple Watch. Why are you asking about the LG?

----------

In your last comment, I never said that. You make a lot of assumptions and seem willing to defend Apple regardless. Make no mistake, they appreciate your blind loyalty.

14. FlatCable macrumors member

The Pebble gets weeks because it does nothing and has a very slow CPU and poor hardware.

How fast does it last when you put the HRM on?

That's right, it doesn't even have an HRM.

15. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

You forgot to mention the screen quality! It's just uncomperable!!

16. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Mate, be selective all you want. Ridiculous to say the Pebble 'does nothing'. You show a lot of arrogance in defending a device that has not been released yet. You also conveniently ignore the Fenix 3. Does that do nothing as well?

17. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

When did the pebble start getting weeks? Mine gets about 6 days. Their website says up to 7 days. The Pebble is a nice Smart Display but it is NOT a smart watch. I LIKE my pebble but the most it did was make me know I will LOVE my Apple Watch.

I plug in my phone every night. Not much harder to plug in my watch at the same time. I will just set it where I set the Pebble every night. Now all I need is a nice integrated charging station for both but I expect this to be available easily by June.

This whole thread is troll bait.

18. FlatCable macrumors member

You seem willing to attack Apple regardless it's an unreleased product, and Apple has an history of delivering what they promise, and being conservative on battery life expectations.

19. Ries macrumors 68000

If 18 hours is a day, then 6 days is weeks! :)

20. FlatCable macrumors member

Also, "plugging" the Apple Watch is actually just taking it out and putting it over the charger, because it's magsafe (auto aligns) and wireless.

----------

Weeks = 2 or more.

----------

Does what?

Notifications? So does a chinese watch.

Pebble has lost the race. Even the Vtech Kiddiezoom Smartwatch watch boasts more functionaly, better screen, and 15 days battery life, and cheaper...

http://www.vtechkids.com/brands/brand_view/smartwatch

21. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

If you could maybe re-read my posts as I clearly enjoy Apple products. I have an opinion on the Apple Watch as you do. You just seem to not accept criticism of it which is really bizarre as its not your invention. It has weaknesses. If you can't see them then you should re-evaluate your desire to buy one.

----------

Again with this. Buddy, look outside of Apple Watch and Pebble for a second.

22. FlatCable macrumors member

No, I don't accept criticism of a thing that's not even out yet.

Specially when you compare it favorably with CRAP products. That the only praising possible is that they are "not Apple"...

Apple is not LG, or Motorola. See the iPhone? How much time did they need to come up with an android phone that really worked good enough? See the iPad? How much time? By the looks of Nexus 9, not even now... Apple has a reputation, and I can be here all day.

23. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

You don't accept criticism of a product that has not proven itself yet? Well maybe there's no hope for you. In your opinion the Pebble is crap. They have plenty of users who disagree. Also, the Fenix 3. How about that? Is that also crap?

Apple has zero reputation points in delivering a great watch to date. They do have a history of missing the mark on version 1.

24. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Well, since I am not an immortal who needs no sleep 18 hours is a nice day for me with 6 hours to sleep.

I expect that many of us may not get the 18 hours at first if we play with it constantly. I looked at the usage they listed that gets 18 hours and doubt I will spend the 18 hours doing the cpu intensive stuff they listed so may get more. I won't be talking on the phone through it for more than one or two minutes a day and absolutely do not expect to ever stream music on it.

If I have to put it into a special mode to track my gym time a little closer, then yes I will use battery for an hour then. I am still wondering how that interface works.

----------
    The other end of that magsafe charger plugs into something. picky picky. :rolleyes:

This is why I desperately need a decent charging station. I have an iPad, iPhone 6+, Nokia Tablet AND Nokia Lumia and will soon have a Apple Watch (which will replace the Pebble). I am plugging stuff in and out all the time.

25. FlatCable macrumors member

I don't know enough for the Fenix 3.

Apple has immense reputation in making a great mobile device.

They have an history of having gen 1 products that work well, but with a limited feature set. Little features, but that work well, are cohesive and well tested.