If You Want Apple Watch Series 3 in Stainless Steel or Ceramic, LTE Models Are Your Only Option

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

With the launch of a new Apple Watch comes a few refreshed collections that the device is available in, requiring users to choose from specific case/band combinations to enter the Apple Watch ecosystem. The Apple Watch Series 3 is available in both non-LTE and LTE-capable models, but there is one downside: if you want a Series 3 in Stainless Steel or Ceramic, you have no choice but to buy a cellular-enabled Apple Watch.

Apple's non-LTE Series 3 Apple Watch brings about all of the usual performance improvements over the previous generation, including a faster processor, W2 chip, barometric altimeter, and more. The LTE models include all of this, on top of cellular capabilities that further de-tether your iPhone from your Apple Watch, so you can make calls, send messages, stream Apple Music, and more right on your wrist.

[​IMG]

Apple added in non-LTE versions of the Series 3 for those users who don't think they need a cellular Apple Watch, but it's limited collections for these models to just Aluminum cases. All Series 3 collections in Stainless Steel -- of which there are only four non-Hermés models -- come with LTE, as do both White Ceramic and Gray Ceramic collections. There are also eight Hermés collections with Stainless Steel cases, each one backing the new cellular features.

If you want the improved features of a new Apple Watch Series 3 without LTE, you'll have to choose from four Apple Watch Sport models: one Silver Aluminum Case with Fog Sport Band, one Gold Aluminum Case with Pink Sand Sport Band, and two Space Gray Aluminum Cases (one with a Gray Sport Band and one with a Black Sport Band).

[​IMG]

There are also two Series 3 Nike+ collections without LTE, both in Aluminum: a Silver Aluminum Case with Pure Platinum/Black Nike Sport Band and a Space Gray Aluminum Case with Anthracite/Black Nike Sport Band.

[​IMG]

That makes six total Apple Watch Series 3 collections without LTE among Apple's 31 new collections of the revamped wearable device. Also of note is that in launch countries where Apple isn't yet offering cellular support, buyers will then be left with Aluminum as their only option.

Launch Countries

Non-cellular available: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, the UK, the US and US Virgin Islands.

Cellular available: Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Japan, Puerto Rico, Switzerland, the UK and the US

The first impressions of the Apple Watch Series 3 have been largely positive, particularly thanks to its improved performance, Siri's ability to speak aloud, and new heart rate detection metrics. Some initial hands-on reports have noted uncertainty about LTE, but like most premium features the usefulness of a cellular-capable Apple Watch will vary greatly person-to-person.

For a look at all of the new bands that Apple launched yesterday, check out our blog post right here.

Article Link: If You Want Apple Watch Series 3 in Stainless Steel or Ceramic, LTE Models Are Your Only Option

2. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

I guess that makes sense. If you’re willing to pay up for the more expensive model, you’re going to go all in.

3. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

That's rather poor on apple's part I must say

Think wil be getting series 3 with EE so SS is what i may go for.

4. meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

Is this why stainless and ceramic are missing on Spain's Apple website?

5. djcerla macrumors 65816

djcerla

Ugh... can't think of replacing my steel/sapphire model with the aluminium/glass one, and I don't really need LTE.

6. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

7. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

Guess my S2 SS won't be going away anytime soon.

8. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I was really looking to replace my series 0 SS with the new series 3 SS. But I really don't want LTE on my watch, so I'll probably go the space gray route. Or I'll try to find a mint series 2 SS on Swappa.

9. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Quite disappointing considering they all feature this annoying red dot. But besides that it seems like EE in the UK is the exclusive partner for the LTE feature, so my carrier Three isn't supported and isn't mentioned for a roll-out in 2018 so who knows when or if they'll support this?

That red dot is annoying though, people are saying just put a sticker over it but that'll get worn so fast and fall off or start half peeling, especially when you go swimming with it.

10. farewelwilliams macrumors 65816

but what about cellular radiation?

(only half kidding)

11. joshen macrumors member

joshen

Was looking to upgrade from an S0 SS and while I don't mind LTE at all, I dislike the red dot.

12. Stiltz99 macrumors newbie

I am all in, and I was planning on selling my ss series 2, black body w black sport band if you're interested. I would call it mint, w another year of apple care. No worries if not. As it is a bit weird over forums!

13. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

if you buy the SS, do you have to Activate LTE? can't you just choose not to use it?

14. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

And this is why I'll be keeping my SS S2. I have no desire for LTE on a watch, but quite liked the thought of the other improvements. Considering I'd be paying a premium of £70 for LTE (£329 vs £399 for Aluminium) that I wouldn't be using, I'll be skipping this gen

15. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

This is so unApple, way too many offers on Apple Watch as in iPhones with so little improvements, and well, almost every other product has way too many choices, although some might say that's good.

16. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I don't necessarily agree with Apples decision here. It's likely a sale tactic, if you want LTE, you purchase the most expensive watch. Just like giving Siri a voice, is only exclusive to the series 3 as well. I have no need for LTE and series 3 does have some nice features, but won't be upgrading to this model.

17. M275 macrumors newbie

The Cellular Watches now have 16 Gb of storage...So they are a good value

18. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

There are refurbished stainless series 2 on Apple's website.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Maybe so, but wasn't the whole point of LTE that you can stream music and not have to store it locally? What good is the extra 8 GB?

19. ck2875 macrumors 6502a

ck2875

They also ditched the ceramic back on the Sport/Aluminum Series 3 Wifi + GPS model in favour of a plastic composite back, and kept the ceramic back for the Sport/Aluminum LTE model. The Series 2 Wifi + GPS had the ceramic back. :-\

20. jayducharme macrumors 68030

jayducharme

The non-cellular version of the new Apple Watch is only $50 cheaper. Unless you're forced to pay an additional cellular fee, why would anyone choose it over the cellular version?

21. Masteric macrumors newbie

That is the same question that I have. No need for cellular. Not once did I ever find myself in a situation where I wished I had a cellular connection on my watch (and certainly not going to pay $10 per month to have one either).

22. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Or perhaps not...

23. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

But you'll be paying a premium for a feature you won't be using, because you don't have a choice. Looks at the price difference between the LTE and non-LTE aluminium models.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    They should concentrate on getting Siri to actually work as opposed to giving it a voice to further frustrate you with.

24. jdillings macrumors 65816

Typical Apple...reminds me of when they got rid of the 32GB option for the iPhone so people would have to buy the 64GB option because 16GB was too little.

25. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

No, there are plenty of us who want a nicer looking watch, especially one that matches our SS bands, who don't want to pay for LTE or service plans because we don't need it. We also don't want a stupid red dot that clashes with our bands.