If You Want Apple Watch Series 3 in Stainless Steel or Ceramic, LTE Models Are Your Only Option

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

In the UK it's £70, so almost a 20% premium. I'd rather have an SS model without LTE for £70 less....
    --- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Well perhaps there's hope for the future .... remember last year the iPad Pro launched with cellular only available in 128GB. So you ended up with cellular even if you didn't want it. That changed with the recent launches.

2. Braderunner macrumors regular

I don’t get people who want stainless that are acting like this is a deal-breaker. LTE is only $30 more. You don’t have to use it, but, you’ll have the option. I think it would be a mistake not to get it, then later on wish you had it. Realistically, if it’s that big of a deal, you shouldn’t be getting a nearly $600 watch. Just sayin’ o_O

3. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

SS is the only way to go IMO, but I have gen 1 I got off CL. I will wait this out for another 6 months then do it.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

LTE is an extra $70 more or £70 in the UK.

5. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

Complaining about an extra $70 in a $600 product. :rolleyes:

WHY DO I HAVE TO GET THE TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE WITH MY BMW IF I WANT ALL THE FEATURES BUT ADAPTIVE HEADLIGHTS?!

The truth is that only a small number of steel watch purchasers would opt for the non-LTE model. It doesn't make sense for Apple to take on the extra expense of producing 2 versions when most buyers would go for a single model anyways.

6. Return Zero macrumors 6502

Return Zero

The red dot on the crown, IMHO, was actually the single worst part of anything announced yesterday. For as much as they hype the Apple Watch up as a fashion item, it seems a stupid move.

That said, lately they've been focusing more on the fitness/health aspects of the watch than the fashion side of things, so maybe it's in line with their current philosophy after all. I still don't like how it looks on an otherwise beautiful watch.

7. WBRacing macrumors 6502a

WBRacing

[​IMG]

8. DTphonehome macrumors 68000

I can get past the red dot, honestly. There are a lot of high-end watches with one or more extravagant design flourishes. I see the red dot as the same. Sort of like red stitching on a black leather band or a vibrant color on the second hand.

9. dannyyankou macrumors 603

dannyyankou

I agree, I’m just hoping there’s no message on the screen like the iPhone says “no sim” if you don’t activate it o_O

10. urbanslaughter97 macrumors newbie

urbanslaughter97

This is so funny to me. When the series 2 first came out, everyone complained that it didn't have LTE. Now that the series 3 is out everyone is saying, "why would I need that?"

11. adamjackson macrumors 65816

I don't even have good cell phone coverage where I live. Not going to complicate things by paying gan extra $10 fro what I don't need. Every year, I've upgraded my Black Stainless Steel w/ Link to the newest Black Stainless steel (re-using my original link bracelet). I wanted to do that again this year as the Series 3 has a nice speed boost but the 16GB of on-board storage and LTE have zero appeal for me. Guess I'll save my $550.

12. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Have you considered it may have been different people complaining that the watch didn't have LTE to the ones complaining they would like an option for the watch without LTE?

13. M051102 macrumors newbie

The Main Feature of apple watch 3 is the LTE connectivity but only available in 10 countries. How apple can convince the rest of the world to buy this new watch ?

14. Wouttle macrumors newbie

Being from the Netherlands, one of the countries that has no provider that supports the LTE version yet, it's horrible we're unable to even buy a SS or ceramic watch... Because none of the LTE watches are even sold here! So before you cry about having to spend $30 extra and have a red dot you slightly dislike more or less, remember you at least have some options :rolleyes: unlike most other countries. Only aluminum for us... Unable to even future proof myself for when providers do start to support it.

15. Return Zero macrumors 6502

Return Zero

I see your point. I will say, I think it looks passable on most sport models. But just looking at the images of some different higher end models, the big red dot looks terrible with certain case/band/face configurations.

And this is coming from a person who absolutely loves the X screen notch solution and doesn't think it's ugly at all XD

16. Mike MA macrumors 65816

Mike MA

No. Dealbreaker for me. I wanted a stainless steel but do own a company (i)phone and according data plan I cannot extend. So I would not be able to use the option at all.

17. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I’m one of the “different” people. I still don’t want LTE in a watch.

18. Marconelly macrumors 6502

Marconelly

My problem with this is that in Canada, you have to be with Bell/Tellus to use the LTE, and I'm not with them. So even though I don't think the price difference is a deal breaker, I still pay for something that I literally cannot use even if I wanted. I guess I can just hope in the future other providers join the party. Also, I too have reservations about the red dot. I know that being made of ceramic it should still look / feel nice, especially if it's not too bright red, but it does look like something you'd expect the laser beam coming out of. The black dot was a really nice and classy design touch, and now they've changed it to a more awkward look.

Ah well, in the end faster hardware speed is far more important to me than the color of the dot.

19. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I'd already worked that out. :)

20. Masteric macrumors newbie

My wife loves her SS Apple Watch and I'd be happy to get her the series 3, but she doesn't need cellular. I don't think any of us officially know yet whether or not you can get the series 3 SS with LTE and not activate it.

I am not going to pay $120 per year for something I don't need. That is just a waste of money.

21. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Have I mentioned it before? :)
    What I find intriguing (and a little ironic) about this is that it's the Aluminium model that has the option of no-LTE. Y'know the model that was the sport model that is primarily marketed as the model you would choose for sport, which is the most likely activity you would perform which would benefit from having LTE as you don't have your phone with you.

Should be LTE only for Aluminium and optional for higher models.
    But you would already be paying a premium for a feature you wouldn't use.....

22. DEman19901 macrumors newbie

I too have no desire for LTE on a watch until down the road I wished I had LTE in a watch.

23. twinlight macrumors 6502

twinlight

Red dot works for some bands and on the black or silver casings. All other clash imho.

24. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

The original Edition in gold had a red dot. So they are now even less exclusive :rolleyes:

25. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502

M.PaulCezanne

I run a lot and hate carrying anything so I've been waiting for this for a loooooooong time. I really, really, really, really, really wanted to like this. I could make a receive calls if necessary, stream music, stay connected and, most importantly, pay for things all from my wrist. iPhone replacement! The future is now!

... but then I read the fine print. We all knew battery life was the real reason we don't have a Jetsons-like wrist communicator yet. I guess the wait is still on.