Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonathanParker

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
If your iPhone is overheating on iOS 15.5 or 15.6 Beta.

A daemon process called “duetexpertd” might be hogging your resources (in my case using 99% or more of my CPU constantly, and my phone overheated).

To fix, sign out then sign back into your Apple ID in settings, which completely fixes it for me.

I had to do this on both of my iPhones but i’m not sure how widespread it is.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Strange you posted this, I was watching a YT video on my iPhone SE2 last night (pretty rare for me) and afterwards you could cook an egg on the back (probably not literally), I've never experienced this before. Thanks for the tip.

syntastic

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2022
Having the same issue. Haven't testing this fix yet but did a complete reset of phone settings, which sucks. Waiting to see if it comes back.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Having the same issue. Haven't testing this fix yet but did a complete reset of phone settings, which sucks. Waiting to see if it comes back.
Anytime that has ever happened to me, very rare but has in the past, a forced shut down and restart almost always, if not always fixes it. No need to go through signing out of iCloud, painful at best. Sometimes some process just gets stuck running and the forced restart closes it down. Videos will cause the devices to heat up, depending on what’s actually being viewed.

syntastic

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2022
Anytime that has ever happened to me, very rare but has in the past, a forced shut down and restart almost always, if not always fixes it. No need to go through signing out of iCloud, painful at best. Sometimes some process just gets stuck running and the forced restart closes it down. Videos will cause the devices to heat up, depending on what’s actually being viewed.
I had to do a couple force restarts because the display was stuck on and was basically unresponsive. And last time this happened, I was just walking around target not even using my phone. I found out it was stuck when I pulled it out of my pocket to pay.

JonathanParker

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2021
duetexpertd cannot be solved by force restarting (as in, volume up, volume down, hold power btn).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.