Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If your phone contract ends today, which carrier will you sign with?

• AT&T

Votes: 87 33.1%
  • Verizon

Votes: 59 22.4%
  • Sprint

Votes: 9 3.4%
  • T-Mobile

Votes: 88 33.5%
  • Other

Votes: 20 7.6%

• Total voters

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
If your phone contract ends today, which carrier will you sign with?

And why?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I would stay with AT&T because there is a tower half a block away from me and I've always had a good experience with them and their customer service.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Staying with Verizon with the best coverage for me. Tried T-Mobil and it did not have the coverage. Haven't tried AT&T yet, and would not go with Sprint since I tried that one for a day and it had lousy coverage.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
There is no reason for me to switch. Why would I?

Sprint offers by far the slowest network out there.

TMobile has the spottiest network out there with their nonexistent LTE/HSPA networks.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I'm on T-Mobile currently. No plans to switch anytime soon.

Sprint- Terrible data speeds, limited coverage, CDMA, restrictive unlock policies and limited phone selection.

Verizon- Extremely expensive, poor data plan offerings for heavy users, CDMA, limited phone selection, poor conference calling capabilities.

AT&T- Expensive, no good data plan offerings. Would actually consider them if they offered an unlimited data plan since they are GSM.

Prepaids/MVNOs- Customer service and retail stores are nonexistent. If there is a problem with my phone, plan, or service, then I need customer support that is reliable.

I'll stick with T-Mobile as they offer the best value for the price and still offer unlimited data for those who like to actually use our LTE data. Can't beat $70/month for totally unlimited everything ($60 after VA discount). I travel outside my native metro area by vehicle sometimes and they do drop to Edge about 50 miles outside the area. However most of my travel is on planes from urban area to urban area and they work well in that regard. I don't travel to rural areas enough to feel like the extra $1000 or so to AT&T/Verizon per year is worth it to me.

SONiC5

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
U.S.
Ehh, I'd stay with Sprint, as crazy as it sounds. It sucks right now with my 4S, but when I upgrade to the 5S I'll have unlimited LTE 800/1900.

Sprint - Unlimited, decent coverage, variable data speeds (3G is horrendous) but the network is improving a lot.

T-Mobile - Decent plans, unlimited (I believe), great data speeds, but poor building penetration and lousy service outside of urban/suburban areas.

AT&T - Overpriced, limited, great data speeds (now), but spotty/poor coverage where I live. I used to have to stand by the window to use data or make calls. I left for a reason.

Verizon - Overpriced, limited, good coverage overall, with variable data speeds in NYC. No thanks.

nickprete11

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2012
Philadelphia
I just ended my contact with AT&T for T-Mobile. Their network is absolutely fantastic in my area and I see great things coming in the future for them.

AppleTech22

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
US
Sprint for me. Although it may not be the best in some areas right now, they are buying US Cellular which will improve the network a ton. Also, when the full LTE rollout finishes up in my area this month, I will have unlimited LTE. This is going to be great for GPS, Music Streaming, YouTube, ESPN, and other heavy data apps.

If you are in an area where Sprint has improved, is getting, or has LTE, it's the jackpot.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
T-Mobile.

I have AT&T right now and like their service, but they are too expensive. T-Mobile offers similar service in my area for a much cheaper cost. I could use the $30-40 I would save each month and use it for something else.

derbyshire2013

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
East Midlands
I appreciate this poll is aimed at people in America HOWEVER I think I'd rejoin my previous carrier (EE) after jumping ship to Vodafone.

For £2 a month more (on Vodafone) I am getting 4GB more data because of a current promotion as well as access to Spotify Premium HOWEVER the town in which I work has GPRS only, and after decent 3G speeds it makes doing the most basic of tasks a chore.

Someone I know who works for them has told me Derby will be getting LTE on Vodafone (after Christmas) and he says because they own a large chunk of the indoor signal they are hoping it'll be strong enough to reach Ashbourne.

I sure hope so.... otherwise I'll be buying an iPad in the Boxing Day sales!

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
I voted "other". Currently I use att and have been very happy with them. After our contracts are up we will likely switch over to the go phone plan. I am actually considering just paying the etfs for both phones and switching over now. I don't think there is much more I would want from my phone that would make me interested in upgrading it in the next few years. I don't want a larger phone, and the other rumors don't interest me enough either. I'd rather save the money and keep upgrading our iPads.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Sprint for me. Although it may not be the best in some areas right now, they are buying US Cellular which will improve the network a ton. Also, when the full LTE rollout finishes up in my area this month, I will have unlimited LTE. This is going to be great for GPS, Music Streaming, YouTube, ESPN, and other heavy data apps.

If you are in an area where Sprint has improved, is getting, or has LTE, it's the jackpot.

What proof do you have that USCC is being sold to Sprint?

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
I'll re-sign with AT&T. I'm used to the bill, and their coverage/speeds work for me. Plus I'm still sporting a nifty Unlimited data plan. I've been thinking about dropping it to get tethering and the 5gb plan. Just gotta find someone to adopt my contract.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
For me, there is no question. T-Mobile is my only choice. AT&T and Verizon can't seem to ever get me coverage at my house. My data speed tests would be edge speeds, hardly enough to spend $85-100 or whatever a plan costs through them these days.

I have speeds up to 41Mbps on LTE at my house on T-Mobile. They also have solid coverage throughout my neighborhood and where I work.

nickprete11

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2012
Philadelphia
For me, there is no question. T-Mobile is my only choice. AT&T and Verizon can't seem to ever get me coverage at my house. My data speed tests would be edge speeds, hardly enough to spend $85-100 or whatever a plan costs through them these days.

I have speeds up to 41Mbps on LTE at my house on T-Mobile. They also have solid coverage throughout my neighborhood and where I work.

Same here.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Unfortunately, I would have to continue on with AT&T.

I wouldn't *want* to. They're expensive and I still don't like their restrictive policy on SIM locking devices (imposing an ETF on a contract should be enough; locking down the phone so you can't even use international SIMs is highway robbery). And those stupid upgrade fees that have no justification at all.

But, the alternatives are no good to me. Verizon's CDMA network that is still needed for voice calls and is lousy or useless for data, isn't up to snuff for my needs. T-Mobile is great in densely populated areas, but they still have far too much EDGE-only coverage the moment you step off the beaten path. Sprint? Hahah, no.

Prepaid options exist but are very limiting. I have yet to see a good prepaid plan that offer mobile hotspot provisioning on a decent network.

So, AT&T it continues to be for now. They do have their pluses: Good coverage, simultaneous voice and data on my iPhone, fast LTE. Price is the only gripe I have really. I'd be really happy if I could pay under $100 a month on my cell bill.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
Two weeks ago left verizon after 10 years. Sold my unlimited data plan for $200 via AOL and now I'm on tmobile $30 plan. Savings lots of money even when I had 22% discount at vzw. Tmobile in Tampa has great data speeds and data coverage. Network isn't as good as Verizon though but good enough for $40 a month savings. 100min is no problem with iOS hangouts VoIP and FaceTime audio. 5gb LTE data is enough for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.