iFixit Finds 2019 MacBook Pro Keyboard Has 'Subtle' Changes to Membrane Cover and Switches

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 24, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple surprised us with a MacBook Pro refresh earlier this week. 2019 models feature faster Intel processors with up to eight cores for the first time, as well as "new materials" added to the keyboard to hopefully reduce issues such as sticky and repeating keys that prompted Apple's worldwide repair program.

[​IMG]

Apple didn't elaborate on the new materials, but the repair experts at iFixit have completed a teardown of the 2019 MacBook Pro and discovered a "subtle change" made to the silicone membrane covering the keyboard switches.

Whereas the membrane in the 2018 MacBook Pro is "semi-opaque" and "feels like silicone," iFixit says the cover in the 2019 model is "clearer and smooth to the touch." Based on infrared analysis, it appears the 2018 membrane was made with polyacetylene, while the 2019 covers uses polyamide, aka nylon.

iFixit also found that the metal dome over each key switch is "subtly different" as well. "It could be a new surface treatment, and/or a tweaked alloy, possibly to alleviate problems with durability, bounce-back, or other issues," they said.

[​IMG]
    2018 MacBook Pro parts on left, 2019 MacBook Pro parts on right in each image

Beyond the keyboard, the 2019 MacBook Pro has few changes, as this was merely a spec bump. The notebook still earns iFixit's lowest repairability score, as the processor, RAM, and flash storage remain soldered to the logic board, while the keyboard, battery, speakers, and Touch Bar are glued together.

Article Link: iFixit Finds 2019 MacBook Pro Keyboard Has 'Subtle' Changes to Membrane Cover and Switches

2. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

3. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

If Apple insists that there isn't anything wrong with the keyboard, why has it been redesigned so many times?

The old keyboard managed to go between 2006 and 2015 without controversy.

4. PastaPrimav macrumors 6502

...from the company describing the material as "crinkly".

They're not exactly a scientific outfit.

5. RWil85, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019

RWil85 macrumors 6502a

I wonder if Apple is going to call iFixit and ask them to remove the teardown from the website?

/s

6. HailstormX macrumors regular

I still don't understand why they need to "reinvent" the keyboard. I have a 2014 MacBook Pro with an excellent keyboard.
    Wish they would have stuck with the retina design

7. realtuner macrumors 6502a

realtuner

That’s why you don’t trust a repair technician to analyze these things.

An actual engineer could take the components from both keyboards and determine exactly what the differences are, why they were made and what benefits resulted from the changes.

These guys are just guessing because “it looks different”.

8. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

I wanna know how they got the 8 core 14nm cpu 10° C cooler

9. chabig macrumors 603

Your premise and your logic are both flawed.

Premise fail: https://www.apple.com/support/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks/

Logic fail: Just because Apple introduces new iPhones every year you cannot conclude that anything is wrong with the earlier designs.

10. agffth macrumors member

I think they made the perfect keyboard. Every attempt to make a "better" one has failed. Just go back to the one everyone loved.

11. MacFather, May 24, 2019

MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

Remember the days when Apple was producing laptops with reliable keyboard?

DE16FA53-744F-4192-862F-90FD03C561C5.jpeg

12. Dave-Z macrumors 6502a

This. A thousand times over.

I know not everyone was a fan of their previous keyboard but it did not have all this controversy. Clearly this new design is flawed. It's pretty obvious when a computer comes out with an extended warranty program already in place for it. And all this for what? One millimeter less depth for the whole device? It's simply not worth it.

But... Apple being Apple won't admit their coveted designs could possibly be a mistake.

13. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

How generous of Apple for letting users beta test this new keyboard!

14. StuKatz1 macrumors member

Having received a full refund thanks to EU consumer law, an incredibly long process that Apple actively tries to make progressively more difficult for you to complete, there is no way in hell I am purchasing this. I’m laughing out loud at the idiots that have also had keyboard problems and are now going to buy the 2019 machine. Insanity. Wake up.

15. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

It's amazing how much these tiny components really affect the way we do work.

16. ChrisChaval macrumors 6502a

ChrisChaval

good

now, when will we see that all glass haptic keyboard?

17. MacLawyer macrumors demi-god

MacLawyer

The 2019 MacBook Pro specs are tempting, but I'm hanging on to my current notebook until the keyboard has been shown to be reliable.

18. 69Mustang, May 24, 2019

69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

To be fair, they are describing the feel and look, and how it differs from the previous membrane material. They aren't describing composition. Also they seem to know the audience they're addressing. Effectively conveying the message may have taken priority textbook scientific definitions.

Hopefully, the changes mitigate the issues.

19. LavenderCaptain macrumors newbie

This time for sure, right???

In the words of the great 50 Cent: "I'll come back when you're hungry"

20. macmyworld macrumors 6502

macmyworld

Complete tear down is on the ifixit website. Changes are pretty subtle. Apple must have a better long term idea - sometimes a design is just bad.

21. NickName99 macrumors regular

NickName99

22. jeyf macrumors 65816

Apple killed the MB a long time ago and its not coming back any time soon.

23. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

From iFixit: “Topping it all off is the key cap. This has a handy label to tell users which key is broken.” :p

24. MacLawyer macrumors demi-god

MacLawyer

You obviously didn't read the report.

"When comparing these FTIR spectra to that of known polymers, the closest match for the 2018 model is polyacetylene with aromatic urethane side groups, while the 2019 model uses polyamide (commonly known as nylon)."

25. zubikov macrumors member

Great!

Now fix the problem where the F-keys turns into a cumbersome OLED display and all the ports seem to vanish. Once the Esc/F-keys are working again and USB/SD slots reappear we're back to a working laptop!