Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
Why are you making all third party are scums? Why can't you also say some third party might rip you off and some third party won't?
You definitely misunderstood me, I was saying pretty much the opposite. The scum ones go out of business very quickly, and the good ones are now predominant.

thegrayrace

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2002
California
Implicit in iFixit's ridiculous stance is that Apple go out of their way to make their devices easier for iFixit to open. Thus easier for iFixit to make money off of parts and videos. It's not the noble Right to Repair cause they pretend.

Right to Repair legislation does not make any demands of product design — at all. It is about requiring manufacturers to make documentation, parts, and tools for repair available to the public, as well as prohibiting the intentional disabling of devices that undergo independent repair.

While repairability is absolutely an issue for consumers, independent repair professionals, refurbishers, and ITAD companies/electronic waste recyclers, product design pressures are coming more from environmental certifications that the manufacturers themselves are seeking (such as EPEAT). The life cycle of a device is an important environmental consideration, so the ease of battery replacement is a major factor in those repairability assessments. Furthermore, when devices can't be easily disassembled at end-of-life, they tend to end up in landfills instead of being shredded into reusable raw materials. Battery fires at electronic recycling facilities have been a big issue in recent years.

Right to Repair advocacy is really not a winning business proposition for iFixit. It is effectively inviting OEMs to compete with us directly, whereas they currently cede the independent repair market to us (and some competitors of ours) almost entirely. If OEMs start making their service manuals and repair guides available publicly, and begin selling parts and tools themselves, it could undermine our market position quite significantly. They're already producing service manuals and repair guides for internal use, so they'd incur none of the additional costs iFixit does in creating content. They already have the factory sources for all the service parts they'd potentially sell, and the bargaining power to purchase those parts at a fraction of what they cost iFixit. We advocate for Right to Repair because we believe it is good policy, not because of business interest.

canesalato

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2010
Right to Repair legislation does not make any demands of product design — at all. It is about requiring manufacturers to make documentation, parts, and tools for repair available to the public, as well as prohibiting the intentional disabling of devices that undergo independent repair.

While repairability is absolutely an issue for consumers, independent repair professionals, refurbishers, and ITAD companies/electronic waste recyclers, product design pressures are coming more from environmental certifications that the manufacturers themselves are seeking (such as EPEAT). The life cycle of a device is an important environmental consideration, so the ease of battery replacement is a major factor in those repairability assessments. Furthermore, when devices can't be easily disassembled at end-of-life, they tend to end up in landfills instead of being shredded into reusable raw materials. Battery fires at electronic recycling facilities have been a big issue in recent years.

Right to Repair advocacy is really not a winning business proposition for iFixit. It is effectively inviting OEMs to compete with us directly, whereas they currently cede the independent repair market to us (and some competitors of ours) almost entirely. If OEMs start making their service manuals and repair guides available publicly, and begin selling parts and tools themselves, it could undermine our market position quite significantly. They're already producing service manuals and repair guides for internal use, so they'd incur none of the additional costs iFixit does in creating content. They already have the factory sources for all the service parts they'd potentially sell, and the bargaining power to purchase those parts at a fraction of what they cost iFixit. We advocate for Right to Repair because we believe it is good policy, not because of business interest.
Thank you for taking the time to answer to irrational comments with thoughtful and informative answers.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
being a privately owned business (and not beholden to investors) allows us to advocate for policy we feel is right, despite those risks.
Fascinating. Thanks for the insight! I would think, though, that if people were able to repair their own tech, that would increase the demand for the kinds of toolkits you produce (since the average person wouldn't have them), and still bring people to your site for the step-by-step guides you create. Your graphics are much more informative than a standard manual would be.

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
Its time for Cook to resign. He is the last of the Narcissists from Job's time and era. Need someone new. Cook will destroy Apple.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Its time for Cook to resign. He is the last of the Narcissists from Job's time and era. Need someone new. Cook will destroy Apple.
Cook has been at the helm since 2011. Since then Apple has expanded it's product line and the value of the company has grown tremendously.

When will this predicted destruction of Apple happen?

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
How do people get access to these emails? Also the emails between Steve Jobs and Phil Schiller about Amazon's exemption.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
How do people get access to these emails? Also the emails between Steve Jobs and Phil Schiller about Amazon's exemption.

Congressional subpoena.
[automerge]1596441227[/automerge]
Cook has been at the helm since 2011. Since then Apple has expanded it's product line and the value of the company has grown tremendously.

When will this predicted destruction of Apple happen?

Well, market cap isn’t the only measure of a company’s worth.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Why does it have to be objective?
Because opinions tend to be discussed/debated/argued in circles. I'm mean some "subjective" opinions could be JD Powers survey and all ilk of that nature, forum posts on MR, posts on the web etc.

What would you like to use as a measure of how Apple is doing?

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Because opinions tend to be discussed/debated/argued in circles.

Yeah, so?

I'm mean some "subjective" opinions could be JD Powers survey and all ilk of that nature, forum posts on MR, posts on the web etc.

What would you like to use as a measure of how Apple is doing?

Apple itself measures itself on many more sticks. Look at the bottom of the website:

Apple Values

Notice how it doesn't say "getting rich".

It is a fair criticism to say that Apple devices are hard to repair. One might also bring up that Apple doesn't treat third-party repair shops well, that repairability would help with the environment (which Apple purports to care about), etc.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yeah, so?

Apple itself measures itself on many more sticks. Look at the bottom of the website:

Notice how it doesn't say "getting rich".

It is a fair criticism to say that Apple devices are hard to repair. One might also bring up that Apple doesn't treat third-party repair shops well, that repairability would help with the environment (which Apple purports to care about), etc.
I didn't think we were discussing the way Apple measures itself, but an objective way that consumers feel about Apple. The valuation is a by-product of these sentiments. But sure I'll go with surveys, sales, repairability and other subjective measures that consumers can evaluate form an opinion and seem to make sense and have some relevance to the real world.

Yammabot

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
Northern NJ
Just got my third MacBook Air with no start no lights sounds nothing. Can’t wait to dig in to it with no manual or diagnostic abilities!

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
I'm sure that would turn out really well....

Not everyone has the technical ability to fix that kind of tech. Swap out a battery, yes. But beyond that, I could imagine a customer bringing a dismantled iPhone to an Apple store, asking the geniuses to fix it after the customer botched the repair.
So we only buy a license to use the phone from Apple? It's not ours?

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
iFixit should ask Samsung why they don't even put those pull tabs on their battery and instead gluing them directly, making it a ton more difficult (and more dangerous) in replacing a Samsung phone's battery vs iPhone.

Nobody needs to replace a battery if the phone only lasts 2 years. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: ian87w

pankajdoharey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2014
Oz town, Jade City. Mars
Actually this is a good thing, the second hand market of iPhone replaces camera with knock offs from china and sell original for a marker, this is a good thing, now those buying used iPhones wont have a terrible photo experience with the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.