Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

IKEA teamed up with Sonos to launch a new line of smart speakers called "Symfonisk," and as of today, those speakers are available for purchase in IKEA retail stores across the United States.

There are two Symfonisk products that are available: A Symfonisk Table Lamp with Wi-Fi Speaker ($179) and the Symfonisk Wi-Fi Bookshelf Speaker ($99).

The Symfonisk Table Lamp functions as a standard lamp but it's also got a smart speaker base, with "rich and vibrant sound" according to IKEA. It comes in both black and white and is designed to save space by combining a lamp with speaker functionality.

symfonisk1.jpg

The Symfonisk Bookshelf Speaker also has a dual purpose, attaching to a wall with a speaker bracket and serving as a bookshelf for small items. The rectangular speaker can also be as a standard speaker or hung up on Symfonisk speaker hooks.

Both of the speakers can be controlled through the Sonos app and both support AirPlay 2, allowing them to be used for multi-room audio with other AirPlay 2 devices. As with all Sonos devices, music, podcasts, radio, and more can be streamed over Wi-Fi even without a smartphone or tablet nearby.

symfonisk2.jpg

Purchasing two of the same speakers allows for stereo sound to be set up, and Sonos also says that two speakers paired together can be used for a Sonos home theatre system.

Sonos CEO Patrick Spence previously suggested that the Symfonisk Table Lamp's audio quality would be similar to the Sonos One speaker, and reviews have thus far been decent.

The speakers are in IKEA stores today and can be located using the website's store locator, and they should also be available online in the near future.

Article Link: IKEA's New 'Symfonisk' Sonos Speakers With AirPlay 2 Now Available for Purchase

Reactions: Srinivasankh

Frign

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
The Sonos ecosystem spreads like cancer. Why would anybody spend so much on speakers that are so horribly locked in? There is no reason for this high amount of lock-down other than vendor-bondage.

applepuree

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2014
I am still waiting the Ikea HomeKit blinds they put on the market and then withdrew again after 1 day. Apparently coming out in spring 2019, then no wait August 2019 ....or maybe not...

Reactions: u+ive and entropys

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The bookshelf speaker is a great idea. I’d get a few of those for around the house. Do these have direct Apple Music support? Is there a voice assistant?

Classie

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2018
Sweden
Love the idea and push from more companies into technology! But after listening to them in the store today I was really surprised about the sound quality - it is not very good... nowhere near the Sonos quality. I’m no expert in sound... but it was surprisingly bad!?

Then again I guess most people won’t hear the difference and love the price.

Reactions: sracer

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
Engineer hat on. It might be a vibration (from the woofer) problem for the (I assume) LED lightbulb in the thing. Definitely IKEA styling, though.

Reactions: decypher44

ridgero

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2017
The Sonos ecosystem spreads like cancer. Why would anybody spend so much on speakers that are so horribly locked in? There is no reason for this high amount of lock-down other than vendor-bondage.

So much money? 100 bucks is nothing for the power of a Sonos one

I like Sonos, it is completely uncomplicated and has a solid sound.

You can combine as much as you like, you easily could use those bookshelf speakers as your rear surround speakers.

Don1985

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2017
Paisley
The bookshelf speaker is a great idea. I’d get a few of those for around the house. Do these have direct Apple Music support? Is there a voice assistant?

No voice assistant on these is the one major downside. Otherwise they’re a good addition to the Sonos ecosystem.

I might add them to my setup somewhere!

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland

How are they locked in? They support AirPlay 2, the Sonos One has Google Assistant and amazon echo built in. They’re easily the most compatible products on the market.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 603
Sep 27, 2005
I'm assuming you can use the SONOS app on any platform (Apple, Android, Windows, etc.) to play music to this, in addition to using Airplay 2?

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago

It can play nearly anything via AirPlay 2, it supports Google and Alexa assistants, and the Sonos app works with every streaming service they can make agreements with. I honestly can't think of a way a product like this could have less lock-down.

ChrisJ_SLH

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2019

You have actually prompted me to create an account to respond.

SONOS supports more than 120 music services including Airplay/Apple Music, local mp3, aac, FLAC libraries. How on earth do you think this is locked down?

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
Hmm...it looks similar to something else. Cant think of what it is.....hmm...I think Apple makes it.
The bookshelf speakers sound awful. I saw them at an IKEA store today - was there for a different reason.

sirozha

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2008
I am still waiting the Ikea HomeKit blinds they put on the market and then withdrew again after 1 day. Apparently coming out in spring 2019, then no wait August 2019 ....or maybe not...
Judging by the other stuff that IKEA peddles, they will be complete and utter junk.
[doublepost=1564693579][/doublepost]
Why would a Mac user want Alexa or google assistant?

Anyway, I got the lamp speaker and one of the bookshelf ones. Both set up in less than 10 minutes. Sound really good too.
Because Siri is as dumb as a rock?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.