iLife 09 scam by Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by apersianboyCOM, Jan 10, 2009.

1. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

When I was ordering my MBP I noticed a link that read: learn how to get iLife 09 for your new mac... I clicked on it and took me to this page:
    http://www.apple.com/uk/ilife/uptodate/

Why would it not have iLife 09 on it? shouldn't all of the new laptops have the latest iLife on them? It just sounds like a dodgy way for Apple to get more money off us!

2. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

Well not all their current stock computers have iLife '09 on it and I highly doubt they'd ship them back, unpack them, install iLife '09, and reship them to their distrubutors.

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

4. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Because iLife09 will not be released until the end of the month. This is how Apple has done all upgrades from the past according forum members.

If you don't want to pay money, wait until 1 Feb to order.

5. apersianboyCOM thread starter macrumors 6502

ok cool, makes sense now. Sorry everyone, false alarm!
    I'm a newbie to macs.

Do you think it will be on the new 17" MBP?
    since that's shipping on the 9th feb! if not I don't mind paying it's only £7.95!

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I don't mean to sound like a jerk or anything, but how do you honestly expect us to know? Your guess is as good as anyones.

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Yes if it's released at the end of January then the 17" will have it.

8. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I am looking forward to owning a copy looks awesome specially imove

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, by your logic, it is also a scam when the dealers try to sell you a new 2008 car for a discount when 2009 and 2010 models are on the lot.

There are machines in the pipe that won't have it, and if you order a machine and it beats the "included with" date because the new DVDs didn't arrive in time ...

This is the problem when Apple announces things that'll ship soon, versus making a shipping today announcement. Always confuses people.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

When I called to ask if I could get the up-to-date price of $10 for a computer I bought a month ago, they said to call back when they release it on the 12th…

11. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I called my local Apple store to ask the same question because I bought a MBP less than 2 weeks ago. I was on hold for 2 hours and finally hung up. Ridiculous. I never even spoke to a human, and apparently there were only '5 calls' ahead of me.

12. 101at9 macrumors member

101at9

My macbook was purchased on black friday from apple.com and I got it as a gift for christmas and i was pissed i had i'life 08. So I called and they told me they where gonna charge me ten dollars for the upgrade and then I got transfered and when the total came due I owed nothing. So its gonna be here feb. 5 they said. So id give that a try.

13. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

No, it is a scam when, after they announce it and you buy a laptop, a dealer tries to sell you the software is SHOULD come with for a price. Pathetic.

Sorry, I love the software and will happily purchase it (since I wouldn't qualify anyway) but it's crappy and dishonest.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

why were you pissed again? you bought it on black friday....thats freakin november! you arent entitled to ANYTHING

consider yourself lucky getting it free

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

To be fair to Apple, a lot people call to ask about the weirdest things; some of which they should be calling AppleCare for.

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Your problem with this comes from what is known as the Osborne Effect.

The software isn't ready. They have no obligation to give it to you.

17. 101at9 macrumors member

101at9

I didnt buy it, it was a gift so i didnt get it till christmas. Therefore within two weeks of me owning it I had outdated software. So I dont consider myself lucky, I think its ridiculous they release new software right after the holiday season anyway. Its retarted!

18. brentsg macrumors 68030

Entitlement mentality much?

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The software didn't exist when it was purchased; the software didn't exist when you GOT it. You deserved nothing. You got what others won't and you're complaining? Do you see a problem with this?

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

do you not follow apple much? they always release ilife in Jan

yes you are lucky. you got your mb with a discount since on black friday.....

you really had no reason at all to complain. its not as if the software suddenly stops working:rolleyes:

also add in the fact the software isnt even availiable to get NOW

21. 101at9 macrumors member

101at9

Yea "entitled" to software for a laptop it costs a fraction of the price to make then what they sell it for. That sounds absolutely absurd your right. Well keep letting them hit you up for money while I bitch and get what I want. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

oh yea, coding software is cheap!!!! i totally forgot it just magically appears on disks that we can then use:rolleyes:

im furious my macbook is no longer the newest. i should really go complain and say *cartman insert* "buuuut mooooooommmm its not faiiiiir wahhhhhhhh!:cool:

23. 101at9 macrumors member

101at9

LOL give it a shot. If it was a month or more you guys are right but to me thats just to soon.

24. miklagio777 macrumors member

I bought a refurbished imac on the 6th, would this qualify?

25. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

To the first sentence: That's known as business. Businesses stay in business when they make a profit.
    To the second: I refer you to my last post.
    To the third: People who complain are annoying, I've found.
    To the fourth: It doesn't seem to work for the people with iPhones wanting all these software features. It doesn't seem to work for the people wanting an xMac. Know why? It's because it only works when products are not purchased at all in protest. If people wanted to FORCE Apple to put features in the iPhone software, people wouldn't buy iPhones. If people wanted to "FORCE" Apple to make an xMac, they wouldn't buy the iMac or Mac Mini. In so much as GETTING iLife '09, you've helped contribute to Apple's mindset that people accept what they're doing. Thanks!