iLife '11 Coming in August with a New Mystery Application?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 26, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Mac4ever claims (via Macworld.co.uk) that Apple will finally update its popular iLife suite on August 7th, 2010. The new version will be dubbed iLife '11 and is said to include a number of new features:
    While there had been some claims circulating last week about iLife '10, the iLife '11 name would be more consistent with Apple's past behavior. Apple introduced iLife '08 in August, 2007. The last major revision to iLife was iLife '09 which was announced at Macworld SF 2009.

Article Link: iLife '11 Coming in August with a New Mystery Application?

2. Macmaniac411 macrumors member

3. archi17 macrumors regular

ooh a mystery application.. Why couldn't they tell us what it is! I hate secrets. Well actually I like them, that is why I visit this site daily..

Looking forward to it

4. 0098386 Suspended

About time indeed! Though I've no qualms with the current iLife, I would love to see what new features they add.

5. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

If iDVD goes what is there to replace that feature? (maybe this mystery app?)

6. KaPOWitsCHRIS macrumors 6502

KaPOWitsCHRIS

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

If iDVD won't be included in iLife, then I'm guessing the new mystery application will be an iDVD replacement. At least, I hope so, because I need it when I edit my movies in iMovie.

8. Queso Suspended

Replacing iDVD with iBluRay? :p

Yes. Plenty of Apple software releases have happened on Saturdays.

9. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

Mystery app: lets mobile apps play on your desktop/laptop. ...maybe not.

About time they get serious about iWeb. iWeb was one of those brilliant killer apps that Apple started and then forgot about. Doubt they'll make it something incredible, but any step forward is better for consumers.

10. jazz4ivo macrumors newbie

iDVD to go???

I'm not too happy if iDVD will be gone. It's a great app to make some quick family DVDs of the latest video we shoot on vacation...

11. mentholiptus macrumors regular

If iDVD is missing, I imagine the new app would be some sort of modern replacement?

Or, some type of consumer level compositing app?

12. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

iWeb needs to be modernised, it is a bit basic. No need for iDVD as you should be able to EXPORT or SHARE to DVD media system wide.

What is the betting it is Snow Leopard only?

13. Queso Suspended

If they do get rid I hope they allow the previous version to be downloaded for free from apple.com. As they did with iMovie '06 when they changed that app to the new format.
    If it's 64-bit then definitely.

14. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Few thoughts on what the new application will be:

- A very easy iPhone app maker
    - An app that allows you to convert your media to a format that allows you to play it on any iDevice (I know this functionality is already available in other apps but it's not incredible easy for stupid users)
    - An iDevice App player that allows you to play apps on your Mac.
    - An iTunes LP creator

15. paduck macrumors 6502

I know you're joking, but I'd bet a year's salary against this one. Apple will be a late adopter of BluRay, if at all.

16. Lord Vader macrumors 6502a

Lord Vader

iDVD is not worth to exist a a separate app, it can be integrated into iMovie.

17. frittino macrumors member

frittino

What will be the policy for the upgrade from iLife 09?
    Something like 29$ or generally you need to buy a full license?

18. Lord Vader macrumors 6502a

Lord Vader

Why? Leopard runs 64 bit apps just fine.

19. Supermacguy macrumors 6502

I hope there is an iDVD replacement. I don't post many things on youtube et al, I still like to watch movies on my TV. I use it a lot!

20. Queso Suspended

You have to buy a full license. If you think about it every Mac comes with a copy of iLife, so what would be the point of having full and upgrade pricing?

21. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

It can't be that, Apple would never copy the competition : http://androidos.in/2010/07/android-app-inventor-google/ ;)

Anyone noticed though that the 7th of August is probably bs ? That's a Saturday. I doubt they'd release new software on a weekend day.

Leopard lacks things like Grand Central Dispatch and OpenCL though. Also, they could be aiming this for a Intel only release.

22. norwaypianoman macrumors member

norwaypianoman

23. big_malk macrumors 6502a

They already are very late, but with the rumoured Mac Pro and iMac refreshes... maybe they're about to announce BlueRay support? Although I'm doubtful about that.

iPhone App maker doesn't seem very likely.
    iTunes LP creator sounds like the best suggestion so far to me!
    Maybe they'll called it iLP :)