iLife '11 Coming in August with a New Mystery Application?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Mac4ever claims (via Macworld.co.uk) that Apple will finally update its popular iLife suite on August 7th, 2010. The new version will be dubbed iLife '11 and is said to include a number of new features:
- ILife '11 will be sold for $79
- Release Date of 08/07/2010
- All applications will be 64-bit
- Improvements in iPhoto faces & places
- Improving the integration of social networks
- IWeb will be totally renewed
- New application (mystery!)
- Disappearance of iDVD
- MobileMe gallery in beta (with faces & places)
While there had been some claims circulating last week about iLife '10, the iLife '11 name would be more consistent with Apple's past behavior. Apple introduced iLife '08 in August, 2007. The last major revision to iLife was iLife '09 which was announced at Macworld SF 2009.

Article Link: iLife '11 Coming in August with a New Mystery Application?

archi17

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2008
Australia
ooh a mystery application.. Why couldn't they tell us what it is! I hate secrets. Well actually I like them, that is why I visit this site daily..

Looking forward to it

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
About time indeed! Though I've no qualms with the current iLife, I would love to see what new features they add.

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

If iDVD goes what is there to replace that feature? (maybe this mystery app?)

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
If iDVD won't be included in iLife, then I'm guessing the new mystery application will be an iDVD replacement. At least, I hope so, because I need it when I edit my movies in iMovie.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Mystery app: lets mobile apps play on your desktop/laptop. ...maybe not.

About time they get serious about iWeb. iWeb was one of those brilliant killer apps that Apple started and then forgot about. Doubt they'll make it something incredible, but any step forward is better for consumers.

jazz4ivo

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
iDVD to go???

I'm not too happy if iDVD will be gone. It's a great app to make some quick family DVDs of the latest video we shoot on vacation...

mentholiptus

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
If iDVD is missing, I imagine the new app would be some sort of modern replacement?

Or, some type of consumer level compositing app?

BBC B 32k

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2005
London
iWeb needs to be modernised, it is a bit basic. No need for iDVD as you should be able to EXPORT or SHARE to DVD media system wide.

What is the betting it is Snow Leopard only?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I'm not too happy if iDVD will be gone. It's a great app to make some quick family DVDs of the latest video we shoot on vacation...
If they do get rid I hope they allow the previous version to be downloaded for free from apple.com. As they did with iMovie '06 when they changed that app to the new format.
What is the betting it is Snow Leopard only?
If it's 64-bit then definitely.

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
Few thoughts on what the new application will be:

- A very easy iPhone app maker
- An app that allows you to convert your media to a format that allows you to play it on any iDevice (I know this functionality is already available in other apps but it's not incredible easy for stupid users)
- An iDevice App player that allows you to play apps on your Mac.
- An iTunes LP creator

Supermacguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
I hope there is an iDVD replacement. I don't post many things on youtube et al, I still like to watch movies on my TV. I use it a lot!

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
What will be the policy for the upgrade from iLife 09?
Something like 29$ or generally you need to buy a full license?
You have to buy a full license. If you think about it every Mac comes with a copy of iLife, so what would be the point of having full and upgrade pricing?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
It can't be that, Apple would never copy the competition : http://androidos.in/2010/07/android-app-inventor-google/ ;)

Anyone noticed though that the 7th of August is probably bs ? That's a Saturday. I doubt they'd release new software on a weekend day.

Why? Leopard runs 64 bit apps just fine.
Leopard lacks things like Grand Central Dispatch and OpenCL though. Also, they could be aiming this for a Intel only release.

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
I know you're joking, but I'd bet a year's salary against this one. Apple will be a late adopter of BluRay, if at all.
They already are very late, but with the rumoured Mac Pro and iMac refreshes... maybe they're about to announce BlueRay support? Although I'm doubtful about that.

Two thoughts on what the new application will be:

- An app that allows you to convert your media to a format that allows you to play it on any iDevice (I know this functionality is already available in other apps but it's not incredible easy for stupid users)
- An iDevice App player that allows you to play apps on your Mac.
- An iTunes LP creator
iPhone App maker doesn't seem very likely.
iTunes LP creator sounds like the best suggestion so far to me!
Maybe they'll called it iLP :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.