Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
The earliest releases of OS X were all done on Saturday, with FedEx providing Saturday delivery of preorders. :D

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
If iDVD won't be included in iLife, then I'm guessing the new mystery application will be an iDVD replacement. At least, I hope so, because I need it when I edit my movies in iMovie.

I'm with you. Unless you include burn to DVD functionality in iMovie, and allow some of the more obvious configuration (DVD menus etc) from inside iMovie. I never go very deep in iDVD, just enough to get it playable.

I always thought that Apple might be missing an opportunity with BD disks. I get their fear and loathing, but I would love the opportunity to make my own BD disks with on-line/interactive feature content, etc. They could tie the online stuff in to MobileMe, so you had a place to host your online content.

They wouldn't do it, of course, but it could be a lot of fun.

mrboult

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
London, England
No idea if it's possible or likely but I really hope that apple have bought Pixelmator and that is the new app.

iLife could really do with an image editor, and Pixelmator is such a great 'apple like' program.

SatyMahajan

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2009
Cambridge, MA
Mystery App

I wonder if it's an image editor. That's the only thing truly essential that's missing from iLife.

Perhaps iPaint (a la MacPaint)? :D Would be perfect app for a Magic Trackpad.

EDIT: mrboult! You beat me to it. :)

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Can't see Pixelmator being included. It's just been updated by its owners. I think they're in it for the long haul too, since that app must be raking it in for them.

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
I think you really need a way to take your photos and movies and get them onto devices. If iDVD is removed I think a consumer friendly version of compressor would be very nice. Is iTunes still "theoretically" lumped into iLife? 64 bit iTunes would be very nice.

sacredgeometry

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
It can't be that, Apple would never copy the competition : http://androidos.in/2010/07/android-app-inventor-google/ ;)
Leopard lacks things like Grand Central Dispatch and OpenCL though. Also, they could be aiming this for a Intel only release.

I thought leopard was intel only as well also it is as 64bit as snow leopard is for most of us still :)

I hope that apple switch the startup kernels over in an upcoming os upgrade, it would force devs to start developing for 100% 64bit systems.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I don't use iLife but I wonder what the new application could be...

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
You have to buy a full license. If you think about it every Mac comes with a copy of iLife, so what would be the point of having full and upgrade pricing?

What's apple's usual 'recent purchaser' policy for upgrades like this? I bought a new macbook pro, delivered just over a week ago, came of course with iLife '09. Do apple usually let people who purchased in the last 30 days or something upgrade or do I lose?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
No idea if it's possible or likely but I really hope that apple have bought Pixelmator and that is the new app.

iLife could really do with an image editor, and Pixelmator is such a great 'apple like' program.

We'd know by now if they did. So if it is an image editor, it's something in-house or from a past acquisition.

Definately one of the best guesses so far though. Or iBlu-ray :D

I thought leopard was intel only as well also it is as 64bit as snow leopard is for most of us still :)

Leopard has a PPC version. It is in fact the latest and last release that will run on PPC.

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Two thoughts on what the new application will be:

- A very easy iPhone app maker
- An app that allows you to convert your media to a format that allows you to play it on any iDevice (I know this functionality is already available in other apps but it's not incredible easy for stupid users)
- An iDevice App player that allows you to play apps on your Mac.
- An iTunes LP creator

It would be great to play Apps on a Mac. Nice idea.

qbert

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2010
The iDVD app will be modified to export to iTunes Extras / iTunes LP format. Obviously they'll need to change the name to reflect the positioning of the modified app.

(but hope they add Blu-Ray support.)

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
What's apple's usual 'recent purchaser' policy for upgrades like this? I bought a new macbook pro, delivered just over a week ago, came of course with iLife '09. Do apple usually let people who purchased in the last 30 days or something upgrade or do I lose?
If my memory serves correctly they normally limit recent purchaser upgrades to those who have bought machines since the official announcement, so that buyers don't hold off on purchasing machines already in the supply channel. This can change sometimes though. For instance, I got a £10 upgrade to Leopard with my iMac even though I got the Mac before Leopard was released.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
This is good news.

The App = redesigned iDVD with new name that has iTunes Plus & iTunes Extra creation as well as DVD authoring.

New iWeb = thank god!

Should be the same day the iMac is released, which will not be August 7th because that is a Saturday.

BigGarb

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2004
Surely it'll be FaceTime.

That might be a good bet. It would be great if you could do facetime computer to iphone. Definitely open up the usage.

I would think that the release of iLife '11 would be coinciding with the release of the new desktops.

Beta-guy

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2010
not sute...

with iDVD going away, and this mystery App, I would love it if the new app was iBlu-ray as I think Apple needs to get with the times, but seeing as Apple hasn't added Blu-ray to any of they of their computers, probably because iTune HD is 'good enough' a slogan I heard too much from the HD-DVD supporters about their format, I'm actually scared it'll be an itunes version of iDVD so as to tie your home made movies to Apple's Itunes and AppleTV rather than moving forward with Blu-ray. but we shall see how this goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.