I'll buy the iPhone 5S if it has T-Mobile wifi calling

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dxyovak, Jul 30, 2013.

1. dxyovak macrumors newbie

I would love to be able to disable the cellular antennas when at home and just have wifi on.

Being able to receive calls & texts over wifi when at home would make me an Apple fanboy :)

Anybody heard any rumblings about if T-Mobile will support wifi calling on its prepaid iPhone 5S?

2. rockitdog macrumors 68020

This is an Android exclusive of T-Mobile and quite frankly it sucks. I've had an S3, HTC One & S4 on T-Mobile and the wifi calling is brutal. The connection goes in and out and its not relaible. I've seen many threads on this and most people with experience agree it sucks.

3. SR45, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013

SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Not at this time....

Corrected for mistake on my part..

4. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

5. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

You are right. Goofed up, but the OP asked if we have heard of any rumblings about WiFi, and me thinks T-mobil still has not mentioned a time table for the iphone, whether its for the iPhone 5S or 5.

6. dxyovak thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for this. Did not know it sucks.

Oh well, the concept is awesome--guess the technology can't support it yet.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

I'd be tempted to get it if they add Wifi calling too. It worked great when I had the G2 on T-Mobile a few years ago. It's useful when your inside some of those thick buildings that cell signals have a hard time penetrating.

Also it's not exclusive to Android since some T-Mobile Windows phones now have it to. The reason why it's not in the iPhone is on Apple's end though. It's up to them to decide if they want to allow it.

8. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

9. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Yes, but you can't call anyone's cell phone. Only those with other iDevices running iOS7. WiFi calling lets you call anyone with a phone number.

10. djfmf macrumors member

just get the app Talkatone. It uses a free google number or you can port your number like I did with tmobile. now I make unlimited calls, texts, voice mail all on my att ipad mini lte data plan.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It's not Android exclusive. It also available on their Windows phones, even their budget oriented ($150) Lumia 521. And on phones that did not come with the necessary app installed, it can be downloaded under TMobile zones. What little I used it (2-3 calls all under ten minutes in length) it worked just fine.

12. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

you can dial to any persons number with the app bobsled by t mobile through wifi or 3G/4G

13. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Even landlines?

14. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

yes

15. 617aircav Suspended

Magic jack app is great with excellent call quality.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Ratings are awful. Have you used it?

17. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

yeah, it stopped working for me because they banned calls to and from mexico, but it worked well even with low 3G signal. never tried the app on LTE tho' (I'd never use it as a replacement for calling).

18. JohnnyDJunior macrumors regular

I live in the basement and I used to have the iPhone 5 with no cellphone signal which sucked. No calls or texts until I go upstairs but with the S4 WIFI calling works great

Hope its comes to the 5s cuz I'm looking forward to it

19. Ethere macrumors member

Ethere

I hate to bring up an old thread, but I'm considering jumping AT&T's ship and hopping on to T-Mobile's. I was really hoping to see WIFI calling on the next iPhone as well. I have quite a few friends with Android handsets on T-Mobile and they love their WIFI calling abilities. Hopefully Apple will enable this feature in their next phone.

20. paulbennett95 macrumors 6502a

paulbennett95

This. Or try GV Mobile + ($3 but no ads, unlike Talkatone)
    Google Voice with $30/month 5GB data from T-Mo rocks.

21. JohnnyDJunior macrumors regular

IDK why people say it sucks its great with me. I live in a basement, got one to no bars with the iPhone 5 so switched to the S4 and the WIFI calling works fine, maybe it depends on the location, I'm in NYC

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I still got over 5K in rollover minutes.
    Barely use the device as a phone that much.

23. gaanee macrumors 6502a

Is there any advantage of wifi calling? Doesn't keeping wifi on drains battery faster?

24. CEmajr macrumors 601

It's good for those situations where people live or work in buildings that block cell phone signals. Allows you to still have service. It's free and more convenient than the traditional signal booster device.

25. Daedalus65 macrumors newbie

Deal Breaker for switch to iPhone

This feature is a must have for many (including me). The ability to answer incoming calls (to your normal phone number) when you are in bad or non-coverage areas (including out-of-country) while perhaps infrequent, is not an "optional" need. I'll hold off until the announcement before making a final decision, but the absence of this feature will end my internal discussion about HTC one vs iPhone for the current refresh cycle. A shame, I would have liked my phone to tie into the rest of my ecosystem.