I'll tell you what I think about that new Home button...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by formerpc, Sep 16, 2016.

1. formerpc macrumors 6502

I actually love it! It's uncanny how it feels like I'm clicking a button even though I'm not! It doesn't feel like the button itself is clicking, but more like the whole lower portion of the phone is a giant button. Hard to fully describe it, but that's as close as I can get.

Along the same lines, I'm absolutely loving all the haptic feedback. So many subtle variances for every different kind of thing. It even buzzes super accurately in sync with the ringtone!! :D

Great job, Apple!

2. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

3. MacintoshDan macrumors regular

You want to see something weird? Use a Magic Trackpad 2 on a iMac then shut off the trackpad. It's like voodoo magic it feels so real.

4. urkel, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016

urkel macrumors 68030

I hate it because now you feel the click in the back of the phone. The whole implementation just feels so Android.

I guess I'll get used to it but it's not natural at all. And similar to the headphone jack removal, it's a solution to something that was never a problem.

5. formerpc thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a 2012 MBP, so I missed out on the updated trackpad (I love my high-res screen and optical drive, though :D). This is my first experience with the technology and I'm a big fan of it already.

6. urkel macrumors 68030

Just read on Daring Fireball...

Home Button requires skin contact to activate.

I just tried it. T-shirt over button and it doesn't work. That means gloves won't work. I guess its good that the lift to see notification function exists, but we'll see in winter what other positive/negative things this introduces.

7. formerpc thread starter macrumors 6502

Good thing for me that I live in Southern California. ;)

8. Shwinnugin macrumors member

Shwinnugin

Actually I came to forum to see if anyone else noticed that the home button seems a bit slower. Maybe it is because I'm not waiting for a physical mechanism to go up and down but pressing the home button to go back to the home screen seems a tad longer, just long enough to make me wonder if it did not register. I turned on "reduce animations" just to see if there was an improvement and there was none.

9. formerpc thread starter macrumors 6502

Just checked mine and the response time is as I expect it to be. Don't know what to say about yours.

10. Shark5150 macrumors 6502a

Shark5150

11. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I also love the new home button. It's easier to press on the 7 Plus than 6s Plus and more consistent.
    All in all, iOS 10 on the 7 feels like a different OS with the additional Taptic feedback. I love it!

12. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

Love this change. Don't even want to go back to an actual button

13. Shwinnugin macrumors member

Shwinnugin

Snagged my hubby's iPhone 6 and did a few tests. Time response is about the same when comparing side by side. I'm guessing it's just my perception without a mechanical button.

14. Lakailb87 macrumors regular

Just my double tap seems slower to respond

15. Ezra923 macrumors regular

Holy crap lol i never knew that just turned off my MBP and the trackpad doesn't click lol is it the same technology as the ip7? Never felt like it lol

16. HaydenWI macrumors member

I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the new home button but after using it, I'm amazed. It feels like an actual "click" to me. Thumbs up to Apple!

17. EJ8 macrumors 6502a

EJ8

I can't believe we used to have to push the button all the way in like that. Geeesh. SOOOO much nicer now.

18. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

The feel is reduced when I'm pressing it while it's laying on a table, but other than that, love it!

19. MacintoshDan macrumors regular

Yes it is.

20. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

I have a strong feeling, if I had some I would test them, that the gloves made to let you use your phone will work on the home button as well. Also what this tells us is that the "button" really isn't a button but part of the "screen" in a way, leading up to the rumors that the home button will be in the screen next year aka no home button at all (think using a corner of the screen in the same manner as the current "button".

I seem to find it faster but it does require almost complete skin contact (read above on my theory why). I can see it being a problem for females with longer nails to get used to.

21. Pspressart macrumors regular

You can get capacitive gloves. I live in South Florida, but when I visited Chicago last December, I bought a pair of those gloves. I just tested it with my new iPhone 7. Pressing the home button with the glove brings up the passcode screen. I can then enter my passcode with the glove on and go on from there.

22. Cryates macrumors 65816

Question about the home button: if my 6s is laying on a table, I usually press the home button to turn the screen on and check notifications. Is that still possible without picking the phone up?

23. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

yes

24. Shwinnugin macrumors member

Shwinnugin

Yes but requires a certain amount of the button to covered by your finger. I used to use the tip of my finger/finger nail and it isn't enough to register on the iPhone 7

25. WilliamG macrumors 604

I think the original button was problematic. Would get gunk in it, and become "gritty," and inconsistent. I'm glad for the change. It helps the water resistance rating, too, I wouldn't doubt.