I'm a hypocrite! I jailbroke my iPhone again!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Jun 1, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Last night I decided to jailbreak my iPhone again to try out the new Backgrounder and Status Notifier. All I can say is... wow. Background is a whole lot better than it used to be. I'm impressed with how it takes screenshots now to make the launch animation look better. Status notifier seems to be working great too.

I usually badmouth jailbreaking because it slows the phone down a little bit, but I'm going to keep it simple and only install a couple of things. I don't want my iPhone getting stuffed up with too much bloat. So far everything seems to be running as normal.

Oh yeah... and I change my SMS sounds... it's so refreshing to hear something new for a change... ah. I wish Apple would allow non-jailbreakers to use custom SMS sounds.

Anyways... there's some positive things about jailbreaking and it's not so bad... just keep it simple and you'll have extra functionality and an instant cure for iPhone boredom!

Good day all!

PS: I wanted something to keep me entertained while I wait for the 3.0 final candidate. Can you blame me? It seems to be taking forever!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Never... I also feel the need for my jailbroken apps, they call to me:D

However, once the new iPhone is released, many things (like video recording) I jailbroke once will be given and my need to jailbreak will diminish even further.

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I personally love the Jailbreak matra: "It lets you do more, as long as you do less!"

I just find it amusing. But hey, there's nothing wrong with it. I'm very happy for the folks who like it and have suggested Jailbreaking to people in the past. It's just not for me.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't bad mouth jail breakers but its not something I condone or do myself. I just wonder if will cause problems down the road, especially with support.

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Says the guy that had the huge thread against jailbreaking haha. Welcome back. ;)

6. williamgallas10 macrumors regular

Where did you get that from? JB allows you to do so much more. Its iphone heaven.

7. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

BOAHHHHAAAA! I knew you couldn't stay away for long.

FYI. I'm working on the other.artwork file now. I also think I found a way to finally edit the keyboard as well. I have a protocol for that - just need to test it. So far I can successfully export the pngs and import them back into the other.artwork (or any .artwork file). I can also make the clock and date dissappear on the lockscreen to show more real estate although I'm not sure why someone would want to do that. Hopefully soon, I can have a series of steps to modify not only the keyboard but the lockscreen as well without the need for winterboard thus eliminating any lag

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Most "Pro-Jailbreaking" posts I see around here have said something like this:

Well, if you're getting lagging and slowdowns it's because you installed a lot of stuff on the phone! If you're gonna jailbreak, you have to be careful and not put too many applications on it!

I see that a lot. Most recently I saw it...uhm...in this thread in the original post:

So that's where I get it from.

9. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

Jailbreaking doesn't cause lag!!! its our brains inability to slow down long enough to let the iphone catch up that comes off as lag. Geeze :rolleyes:

10. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

jailbreaking doesnt cause any problems as far as support goes..
    i had originally bought a black 3g and jailbroke it...then i upgraded to 3.0 beta 4 at the time...then I decided that I wanted to trade it in for a white one.
    i brought it to the apple store with os 3.0 still on it...this phone HAD been jailbroken...
    they took it into the back to look at it...came back out with a brand new white one inthe box for me.
    jailbreaking is FINE..you wont mess anything up permanently...its all software..

the only reason you have to be picky when jailbreaking...is because it is allowing alot more stuff to run in memory, and many more apps to do background tasks. this makes the phone less stable because it doesnt have the memory and processing power to do these things well.
    jailbreaking isnt the problem...its the weak specs of the current iphone.

cant wait to see what we can do with the new one.

anyone who has never tried jailbreaking and says "ist just not for me" doesnt even know what they are missing..

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Did you jailbreak 2.2.1 or 3.0 beta?

12. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

One thing that I still love jailbreaking for, even though my device is now stock- I hid the stocks and weather applications. I could probably hide a few more Apple apps and not miss them at all, either.

13. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

My iphone has been jailbroke for a long time and I love it. I actually dont keep alot of stuff on it. No winterboard and nothing, but I do use poof and rename which I love as well as the NES app. I think Apple could seriously cripple the jailbraking effort if they just allowed more customization of the iphone in terms of its GUI. Hiding apps, renaming them, changing the dock and icons seem to be what I hear most people's reasons for JB'ing.

14. iSaga macrumors regular

Funny, I did the same thing yesterday, I downgraded from 3.0 to 2.2.1(which BTW was much easier then all those guides seemed to suggest) and jailbroke. Although I jailbroke in order to be able to watch sling over 3G. I didn't realize there was a new backgrounder, I'll have to give that a shot.

15. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

SBS setting did an update too. I like the process kill it added.

16. alphatectz macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

I offen think to myself should I rejailbreak or just wait until 3.0 comes out. But I just feel like there's something missing, but then I recall all the damn lag, but the spaz, how long has it been since you last jailbroke?

17. alphatectz macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

Sbssettings = LAG

18. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I haven't jailbroken since Feb. 10th.

19. alphatectz macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

Beat me by a week.

20. alphatectz macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

Jailbreak isn't for everyone. It does help a lot but then comes the lag and more lag. Sh*t I was at the apple store I seen 2 guys that were working the genius bar with there iPhone's each 2g and 3g with a jailbroken phone. They didn't care, they even told a few people to jailbreak "it's the I my way to go"
    This was at the 14th street location in NYC.

21. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

The iPhone is already the laggiest phone UI I have ever used ( coming from a long history of sony errricson phones)

I would never do anything to make the UI even slower.

22. alphatectz macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

Apple and Sony aren't the same!

23. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

Of course they're not. They have different names

24. alphatectz macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

I know that!

25. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn