I'm a teacher, I cannot afford a new mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hiorgos, Oct 3, 2018.

1. hiorgos macrumors newbie

Just out of frustration, let me share that I cannot afford a new mac.

I'm a teacher, and I use a 10 years old macbook pro in a daily basis, from preparing lessons to book designing. This old mac is getting old and slow, but I have kids now and my income is tied to the family budget. To buy a new mac just doesn't fit into it.

Oh, and I live in a top ten GDP country, I wonder how difficult is to buy a mac for a teacher in other places.

Apple is making millions in profits every year. Yet their computers keep the same expensive price tag they always had. At some point I'd like to see Apple considering their clients as people, not as milking cows.

Sorry for the rant.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Which new Mac model are you looking for? Not every MacBook is $6000.

A new MacBook or even MBA with your student discount would again be massively faster than your current model. You don’t have to go for the MacBook Pro.

Worst case, a cheap 2012 13” (very good price used due to market saturation) with an SSD & 8/16GB RAM will be a huge step up from your current one.

3. jerryk, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018

jerryk macrumors 601

4. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

Not an economics teacher right? :)

5. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

What do you need the MacBook for? Can you not use a Windows laptop?

6. niji Contributor

niji

i hear you.
    especially because you are a teacher, i really empathize with you.
    i haven't looked up in which countries teachers are considered highly skilled and are therefore paid appropriately, but i am sure they are few. its a world wide social problem i think. whether it be in india, china, spain, or the usa.

fortunately, apple is selling some great devices that do meet teacher's needs.
    i am not a teacher, but think that most teachers don't really need a MacBook Pro anyway for their daily work.
    as apple has integrated better tech into its products even the MacBook 12" model in its base model configuration is usually sufficient for most teachers.
    having said that, the MacBook base model is definitely not inexpensive.

the good news is that a lower priced MacBook (possibly MacBook Air) model is rumored to be on the way (maybe even launching this month).

longer term, the even better news is that we are about only 1 more generational improvement away from the iPad Pro being the device that most of us can use for our work, teacher or otherwise. i dont think its there yet though.

i dont think there is anything wrong with apple's marketing or sales strategies to aim at the top tier for each of its product categories. so i dont blame apple for being able to demand top prices for its products.
    i am thankful that each year the base models are able to do more and more, and the integration of its products through iCloud is allowing so much more to be done better, faster, and more conveniently in a more secure platform.

all of that is giving each of us more power and more control.

7. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

8. Nilhum macrumors regular

Nilhum

Then buy windows. There are plenty of laptops that will last you 6+ years for under $600. Sure they might not look pretty and garner the attention for everyone around you but you will be able to do all that you need on it.

9. Hater macrumors 6502a

Hater

So buy a late 2012, shove an SSD and 16GB of RAM in it and rock it for the next 5 years, then upgrade to a 2017, rinse and repeat.

10. IdentityCrisis Suspended

X2 on swappa.com. Always use them for used phones/computers.

I did just get a MBP 2015 13" Retina for $550. So I am pretty happy.

11. nnoble macrumors 6502

Doubtless you’re not alone and teachers are by no means unique in this context. There are teachers with recent MacBook Pros along with iPhones and iPads, cars and other luxuries. I teach too. I use a MBP 2010. I don’t see how you expect others to respond unless you provide a breakdown of your budget, and I wouldn’t expect that. The Mackbook Pro line is top class and not everyone can expect to be in the top class let alone top of the top class.

12. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

Aside from the used market where you can certainly find deals on gently loved Mac and PC computers, there are also some more budget friendly devices such as Hauwei and some lower priced Dell, Lenovo, HP lines.

Apple chooses to not make a budget line. I do wish they would. Go back to something with a thicker plastic chassis and a entry level price. MacBook SE or something along those lines. But they don’t and probably won’t.

You could also look into something like Microsoft’s recently announced“All Acess” payment plans.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...s-payment-plan-explained-office-365-microsoft

I can relate. I have have had times in my life where I could not afford a Mac and may find myself in the position again in the future. Who knows. I am very grateful that I am able to do so at this point in my life, but take nothing for granted.

13. erichui84 macrumors newbie

I seriously don't get it. Apple (or any business out there) exists to make money. Can you give me a reason for using a Mac if it doesn't fit your requirement? (including price, functions, etc.)

You make it sound like someone is forcing you to use a Mac for whatever reasons.

14. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

Stop complaining. In some countries a Macbook Pro costs more than multiple month salaries on average.

15. leman, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018

leman macrumors G3

Apple offers discounts for education customers, not to mention that you don’t need a full-specced 15” for your job. A 12 MacBook or entry-level MBP 13 will be sufficient and cost no more than comparable business-level laptops from other brands.

And besides, why doesn’t the school provide you with a working computer? It’s crazy that you, as a teacher in top GDP country, are expected to shell out your own money for work equipment.

16. Ma2k5 macrumors 68020

Ma2k5

It isn’t Apple’s fault, these machines can be bought for under £1,500, so if you can’t afford that - look elsewhere to blame.

17. maflynn, Oct 4, 2018

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think many people here missed the point.
    Instead of attacking him, or telling him he doesn't need a new Mac or a powerful one, just look at the issue itself. MacBooks Pros are expensive, we had many people already state especially in the UK that the Macs are priced exorbitantly and they cannot justify (or afford). Its seems odd now that you're blaming the OP instead of looking at its Apple charging the premium.

The OP has options to be sure, refurbs, used, or older models, but that doesn't get away from the fact that apple has priced these at a level that makes it hard for many people to justify and/or afford the laptops. From my perspective, I chafe under the get an older model suggestions because the OP can buy a nicely equipped brand new PC that is a lot less then a MBP. If I'm plunking down close to 2,000 dollars I don't want a used machine. For some that's a great suggestion and maybe for the OP, but I'm just taking my personal perspective and I'd want a new machine.

To me MBPs are expensive and while this post was on a fan site where many folks will justify apple's pricing because they support apple zealously, its my opinion that MBPs are too expensive.

So he has no right to complain how expensive it is, because other nations have it worse? Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and he's stating his, he has every right.

18. kapolani macrumors 6502

Don't get one?

You can't have everything other people have?

I don't have a garage full of supercars...

19. IngerMan macrumors 65816

IngerMan

I don't get your point of what this has to do with anything,

Some states pay Teachers very very well. It's a dream job in certain areas.

20. udontno macrumors 6502

udontno

I wish I lived in one of those states. I am an elementary school librarian and don't get paid nearly enough.

On the bright side, I have a school supplied MacBook Air & iPad.

21. OriginalAppleGuy, Oct 4, 2018

OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502a

OriginalAppleGuy

Here we are with another thread about how expensive Apple products are. As they ALWAYS have been. It's really tiring to see these posts. With a new Apple Computer you get:

- Operating system included at no additional cost with free updates for years. Apple started that. Microsoft still charges, especially if you want enterprise features.
    - Office products free of charge with updates for years.
    - Virus and Malware protection at no additional cost.
    - Hardware that will last. Never had issues with Apple cases. It's rare for a windows based machine to last 10 years as the OP stated. Trend the cost over 10 years and it's cheaper than Windows.
    - And more......

My family bought an Apple ][ in the early 80's. IN those dollars it cost more than $5K for the computer, two 5 1/4" floppy drives, monochrome monitor, and Paper Tiger impact printer. Much more expensive than what you get today for less than 1/2 the cost.

I really can't believe people whine about not being able to afford something when there are other options as others have posted. I mean holy mother of god....I can't afford a Million dollar house on the water. Those damn builders and property owners sure are greedy bastards! They should lower their costs!

22. AJAAY macrumors 6502

AJAAY

Why is Apple expected to have lower prices? High premium prices is what Apple is known for.

But here is the thing, you do not have a purchase any Apple product. The beauty of it all is there are alternatives out there. Apple is a business. They are not a charity. They have a product. It’s your choice if you want to buy or not. If it’s too expensive for you move on to something else.

I want a Rolls Royce. However they are well out of my budget, but I’m not going to complain about how expensive they are, compared to other car brands. I’ll admire them from afar while I purchase and drive an alternative vehicle that fits into my financial lifestyle. I don’t expect Rolls Royce to lower their prices to fit my budget.

23. darkloki macrumors regular

I would have been a teacher and a GREAT teacher however they do not get paid well and the amount of education required (I believe a masters degree is education is required) in many districts makes it incredibly tough. Props to anyone who decides to become a teacher, not for me. It is truly phenomenal that computers have become so main stream that teachers need to have them in order to get our youth on a higher platform and accustomed to using them. My mother was a Developer and instead of getting a console I got computers and that single decision has probably changed my own life significantly.

Getting back on topic, having used a plethora of different laptops, I don't know why a teacher would need a 15 inch macbook pro. I believe a Macbook or even a Macbook Air or a lower speced 13 inch macbook should suffice. Could you explain why a 15 inch pro is needed? We have hit a point in time where the hardware is severely over performing to the everyday tasks of the everyday user. Hell All I do is build databases and all of my systems out perform my tasks tenfold, and I'm not even a teacher...

24. koyoot macrumors 603

koyoot

I have never seen something like this. A guy rants on a forum about MacBook prices, and gets eaten by community.

There is a very good reason why "rest of the technological world" considers Apple users as idiots. You are not helping with alleviating those stereotypes.

25. PhilMacbook, Oct 4, 2018

PhilMacbook macrumors regular

You could always get a second job temporarily to help save for it. You can't ask us to make a judgement without providing the full facts i.e. what you earn and what you spend your money on. For all we know you might gamble, smoke, etc.

Just to be clear, I am not making a judgement on those expense choices as they are up to the individual but how do we know you spend your money wisely?

As someone else said, there are thriving refurb and second hand markets. If you have a 10 year old model why not buy a 5 year old one?

Your problem seems to be you want something to be cheaper than it is and that isn't going to happen. As with any product we can't afford, we can either increase our income, save up for it, put ourselves in debt (not recommended) or buy something cheaper.

We all wish Apple products were cheaper but it's up to them what they charge. We are very lucky in that with tech we have a sea of product options from many manufacturers at many price points.