I'm going caseless...

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
I'm not sure if this forum is the right place for this thread or whether I should create it in the accessories section but anyways...

I'm using an Incase Slider case, a heavy case that adds bulk and width to the phone and covers the whole iPhone and I was thinking, it's not like I'm going to keep this iPhone forever, maximum two years, till Apple stops proving the updates for this model. And when the time to sell it comes, no one will pay more for it because it's in a good condition, at least that's how people here in Ireland are, if the technology is old, no one is willing to pay a bit more for a well kept product, so you'll sell it for the same price as other used iPhones.

So what's the point in having a case? A heavy case?

I'm either going caseless or will get a very light case like an Incipio Feather one.

Then of course there is the art of wabi sabi...

What's your reason and justification for having a case other than for protection?

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I'm not sure if this forum is the right place for this thread or whether I should create it in the accessories section but anyways...

I'm using an Incase Slider case, a heavy case that adds bulk and width to the phone and covers the whole iPhone and I was thinking, it's not like I'm going to keep this iPhone forever, maximum two years, till Apple stops proving the updates for this model. And when the time to sell it comes, no one will pay more for it because it's in a good condition, at least that's how people here in Ireland are, if the technology is old, no one is willing to pay a bit more for a well kept product, so you'll sell it for the same price as other used iPhones.

I'm either going caseless or will get a very light case like an Incipio Feather one.

What's your reason and justification for having a case other than for protection?
i use a case with a leather back gives me great grip on the phone i find when its caseless, its slide threw my hands easily

but i do agree with you, i dont baby it to make it worth more, ill run this phone till its useless to anyone that get another phone

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I switch between a case depending on my mood and/or what I'll be doing. For example, I'll go caseless on a normal day but if I am going to skateboard, then I'll just throw on a case.

At first, I got my case to avoid scratches , but you're going to get scratches anyways so no point.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I use a case just to avoid scratches especially since my phone often ends up in the same pocket as my keys. I may get rid of the case eventually but for now it stays.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
lots of threads here about going naked polls etc.. I use a case for personality moods as well as some etc protection. Right now I'm rocking a Bruce Lee case. any way good luck. please keep us updated on this I will be subscribing to this thread and waiting to here more.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Cases on items that are supposed to be portable defeat the purpose. Nearly every case known is both ugly and fat.

Instead of people going out and making their devices look botched, companies like Apple could simply, you know, make a durable product?

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
For the normal day, I don't use a case. If I plan on being away from my home for more than a day or if I plan on being out in public for more than a few hours then I'll usually throw on a case or at least have it with me in case I want it.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Cases on items that are supposed to be portable defeat the purpose. Nearly every case known is both ugly and fat.

Instead of people going out and making their devices look botched, companies like Apple could simply, you know, make a durable product?
How so? How about people stop being so clumsy and dropping their stuff? I mean, there's an option for a plastic cup if you can't hold a glass one without breaking it, you can always just buy a cheaper cell phone that you can break (owned 2G, 3G, and 4, all dropped on everything from carpet to concrete with no breaks or noticeable damage).

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
How so? How about people stop being so clumsy and dropping their stuff? I mean, there's an option for a plastic cup if you can't hold a glass one without breaking it, you can always just buy a cheaper cell phone that you can break (owned 2G, 3G, and 4, all dropped on everything from carpet to concrete with no breaks or noticeable damage).
Remember the days of Apple releasing iPods with their EasyScratch™ surface? Those days aren't exactly over.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

It's durable enough without the case, a case can also let people customize their phone which would be more difficult to do if apple made a bigger more durable phone.

VSMacOne

macrumors 601
Oct 18, 2008
I love the combo of a thin case and Invisible Shield. And i just recently found the perfect case.. Pinlo Slice 3. Thinnest case on the market. Doesn't add much thickness at all, and offers protection from scratches, which is what I care most about. I've had it now for about a month, and no complaints at all.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
I used that one for a while. I loved the size and feel of it, but eventually it started cracking in the corners. Also the clear is a downside cause you see every speck of dust that builds up under it.
That's a very good point regarding the clear cases and dust.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
I've never seen you post anything nice. :p

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I like to use my phone naked, but want some protection from scratches, especially if I carry it in my pocket.

I use a Sena Ultraslim Case. It's a snug, leather pouch that adds ZERO BULK, IMO looks great, and protects the phone from scratches. It's velvet lined, so no scratching slipping it in and out of case.

It's very snug when you first use it, but after a few days of use, like any leather product, it stretches.

It provides some drop protection, but mostly allows you to use your phone naked with zero bulk protection.

mattdo93

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2010
I use naked at home, but when I go out to heavy places like amusement parks, beach, BBQ or w/e, I put an Incase Snap on my phone.

vebs

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Leicester, UK
I'm using a casemate barely there case, it's about as minimal as you can get and has saved my phone on two occasions when I've dropped it on the pavement whilst a little under the influence.

Paulshaqz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2009

i went caseless and just added full body screen protection and i'm happy it's naked! lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.