I'm going protector-less

Discussion in 'iPad' started by spiderman0616, Apr 27, 2011.

1. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Ok, here's the deal:

I'm pretty anal. Every phone I've ever had has had a screen protector on it. My iPhone 4 has a screen protector AND a case on it. When I got my iPad 2 a couple of days ago, I put a screen protector and wraparound case on it (case is similar to a Belkin Grip Vue but a more generic version). I also keep it in a folio type external case for traveling around.

The screen protector was royally pissing me off because the case kept making it bubble up around the edges and it was really hard to clean off. Today I had enough. I was trying to read on the train and couldn't even concentrate because I kept looking at that stupid screen protector. When I got to work, I took it off and threw it out.

Anyone else going without a screen protector? iPad 1 owners--how have you fared with scratches in the last year? iPad 2 owners--any scratches yet?

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I just put a screen protector on. Now I can read the screen with my polarized sunglasses.

3. princealyy macrumors regular

I never put screen protectors anymore ... They bother me a lot... Instead I just make sure and put a cover over the screen when not in use and I am good to go.

4. JLemm macrumors regular

I've owned an iPhone 3G, 3Gs, 4, iPad 2 and I've never used a screen protector. Never got my screen scratched or messed up.

5. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I need more of these kinds of comments to make me feel better. Keep 'em comin'. I already feel exposed without a screen protector on my iPad for an hour. And that's with it in a zipped up hard case.

6. pj13 macrumors member

7. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Yeah--I saw this too. I so wish that this translated over to scratch protection too. It seems like these screens can scratch but aren't as likely to shatter.

It is peace of mind that I don't have to treat it like fine china though.

8. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

No cases on my iPhone anymore, but I transport my iPad v1.0 in the Apple iPad case (I really enjoy the feel of the device itself though, the case is just for on the go). Both have the PS Anti-glare screen protectors, mainly because it's easier to wipe off smudges, and I like the feel better than just touching glass. I don't at all care if it will be scratch proof, since I'm pretty responsible with my devices.

It's a personal preference though, to each his/her own :)

Gross ;) haha

9. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Don't have a single scratch on the iPad 1. Never use screen protectors. I've found the best solution is a nice simple sleeve (mine is quilt) to slide it into when moving it, and just using it bare.

10. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

I keep my iP4 and iPad 2 naked. I just really hate cases and screen protectors. I understand the cases but why screen protectors?! It's made out of glass. Yall got rocks in your pockets or something?

11. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

you are a lucky poster.

I was that way too for a while, and I got jammed for it.

Current iphone 4 got scratched by an errant key...

12. Cytozone macrumors newbie

I have an iPad 2 and smart cover. Got it on launch day without a protector and still no scratches to the front or back. I keep it in the griffin iPad jumper when i'm not using it.

13. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

My iPad 1 is scratch free after more than a year of use. I have it in the Apple case, but the screen has no protector.

My iPhone 4 has no screen protector either. I use a case when I travel with it, but when I'm using it there is no protection whatsoever. Not a single scratch anywhere on it.

The coating Apple uses for its screens now are very good about wiping clean easily. But that only works if you don't cover the screen with something. I prefer to use Apple's products as is, as they were designed. So far it's been going very well.

14. jmthigpen macrumors regular

I have never used a screen protector..I keep my iPad 1 in a colcasac sleeve when not using it..the colcasac keeps my iPad nice and cozy when not using it..offers a fair amount of drop protection..and it cleans the screen while it's in there.

15. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

iPad 1 owner since wifi-model launch day last year, no screen protector and only a few intermittent times with a case. No scratches whatsoever, not on the glass, not on the aluminum. I do store it in an Incipio Underground Envelope, but use it naked. I long ago realized that screen protectors completely ruin the feel of the glass, not to mention that they get destroyed very quickly by things that wouldn't even leave a smudge on the glass. They are a total waste of time for something like an iPad. An iPhone? Maybe, but I still won't use one - I can admit the iPhone sees more rough battle than an iPad and could benefit from some protection, however. The iPad just sits in my lap, or on a desk, then goes back in its sleeve. And my iPad proves it - it looks like it did the day I bought it.

16. BERRYP186 macrumors member

None on my ipone 4 and none on my brand new ipad 2 :)

17. bwiissofly macrumors 6502

I haven't had a screen protector on at all. I've went through an iPhone, iPhone 3G and now iPad 2. I just like the feel and touch better without the protector.

18. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I'm feeling better and better about it--I've had this thing for 2 days and haven't enjoyed it very much because I've been so worried about that stupid screen protector. It was all bubbled up along the edges and wouldn't clean off.

Now I can just enjoy it without the plastic sheet in the way.

19. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

My generic flea bay and mall kiosk tpu's kept peeling my ghost armor off. My solution was to keep the screen protector and buy a belkin snap shield for my ipad. Pricer than the ebay stuff, but nice protection with full smart cover and screen protector compatibility.

The problem was the tpus needed to grasp the edges of the screen to stay on with a lip, and this is what kept peeling the screen protectors off.

20. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

My Experience

iPod Touch, 2 years, no screen protector, no case. Keep it in my pocket with no keys, occasionally some bills or receipts.
    Results: No scratches on the glass. The back has some scratches (which don't bother me).

iPad 1, 1 year, no screen protector, leather case (opens and shuts like a book). I normally take it out of the case to use, but not always. Almost always have it in the case when going out.
    Results: No scratches on the glass. The back has some scratches (which don't bother me).

I did try a screen protector on the iPod Touch - bought it at the Apple Store, had them put it on, used it about ten minutes in the store and didn't like it (it felt much less smooth and dimmed the screen), had them take it off. They refunded my money!

21. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Screen protectors are junk. Take care of your stuff and you'll be fine. Especially since this a TABLET and not a phone.

22. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Yes, there is no need to protect the screen. But the back scratches very easily.

23. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I have a cover on the back--I know that covers sometimes scratch too, so I'm planning on never taking it off again. If I don't see the damage, it won't bug me, right?

24. dnw1987 macrumors member

No scratches at all, I have the grey smart cover and a case from box wave.com that looks and feels similar to the smart case.

25. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

No sp on iPad 2 and no scratches. My iPad 1 that I sold was scratch-free too. No sp on that one either.