I'm Leaving for Hawaii!!!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
18,388
42
1123.6536.5321
Just thought I'd let everyone know I leave tomorrow for my honeymoon in Hawaii! So, you will not be seeing me at all on the Forums here for the next 2 weeks, as I'll be too busy sitting on the beach and relaxing with my lovely new wife. :)

Specifically, we'll be hitting the islands of Maui and Kauai, and already have several activities planned - lots of time for R&R though as well, which is what it's all about.

I have to admit, Hawaii was never at the top of our list of places to go. We are backpackers and enjoy "the road less traveled" in many cases, and we assumed that Hawaii would be too touristy and commercialized for us. But, my brother was just there this past sumer for a friend's wedding, and said it was amazing - and that means a lot coming from him, as he is even more of a hardcore backpacker than we are! Some of his adventures including rafting down the Amazon for 3 months, and trekking through Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos! :eek: :cool:

So, we looked into it and realized we could make the trip as touristy or as non-touristy as we wanted, which was great. And when we looked at some of the activities and the overall environment down there, we found it really appealing as well. So, for once i our life, we're putting away our packs and actually going on a more "traditional" type of vacation! Should be quite the experience. ;)

It will be nice to take a break in general as well. Apart from the time I took off around our wedding back in September, the last time I took any time off was in April when we went to the Mayan Riviera, so my "summer vacation" is long overdue! But hey, at my company, I get 6 weeks of fully paid vacation a year, so I'd be a fool not to take full advantage of that! :D

Anyway, take care everyone, and I will be sure to post some stories and pictures when we get back. :cool:
 

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
6,943
3
Citizens Bank Park
YOU SUCK!!!!!!! :p

Enjoy yourself. Hawaii is somewhere I definitely what to go along with Alaska, Italy, and the Caribbean. Give us some pics so I can live vicariously though you.
 

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
2,065
5
Location: Location:
Spent a few weeks in maui a few years back. bring lots of $$$. Only place in the world I would like to be if I were homeless.

And bakedBeans, Im officially in love with the girl in your avitar:eek:
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
18,388
42
1123.6536.5321
Thanks guys, I am looking forward to it! Pictures will definitely follow. And I'll have a few drinks just for you grapes911. ;)
 

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
15,532
2
grapes911 said:
YOU SUCK!!!!!!! :p

Enjoy yourself. Hawaii is somewhere I definitely what to go along with Alaska, Italy, and the Caribbean. Give us some pics so I can live vicariously though you.
I've been to all of the above mentioned but I still echo you... but I think I'll re-word my jealous thoughts into, "Have fun w/ the missus, Shard." :p Sigh wish I could run off to a sub-/tropical place for a while.
 

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
1,741
194
Minnesota
I thought this was going to be a "I'm leaving because a few threads were closed." :p Congratulations on getting married, and have fun!
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
18,388
42
1123.6536.5321
rdowns said:
Congratulations. You must do the "drive to Hana" while on Maui. Definitely for those who like the road less traveled.

http://gohawaii.about.com/cs/photogalleries/a/hana_highway.htm
Thanks for the recommendation rdowns, this is actually one of the things on our list of to-dos, as we've heard great things about it as well. :)

Oh, and for anyone not realizing I was just married, check out my original thread on the subject. I believe one of my last posts in it linked to some of our wedding photos as well. :cool:

Again, thanks guys, I'm looking forward to the vacation!
 

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
15,532
2
~Shard~ said:
Thanks for the recommendation rdowns, this is actually one of the things on our list of to-dos, as we've heard great things about it as well. :)
My family and I opted to go in tour/van for the drive, it was nice because 1)my dad and mom didn't bit*h and argue over directions/getting lost, 2)my dad can't whine that as the driver he didn't get a chance to experience it, and 3)well, it's just simpler I suppose.

It was a long day though... and man are some parts really bumpy. :eek: I personally can't help myself but to enjoy some of the touristy aspects of traveling. :eek: I love Lahaina, except for the fact that all the mosquitos loved me! I got over 10 bites within five minutes... that's eight more than the rest of my family combined. :( My mommy says it's because I'm so sweet. :D
 

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
27,345
12,408
mac-er said:
How can it be for "those who like the road less traveled" when the first sentence on that webpage says its "one of the most popular day trips" in Hawaii. :confused:
I've been there twice and it is not a crowded day trip regardless of what the article says.
 

mpw

Guest
Jun 18, 2004
6,364
1
You lucky, lucky, lucky SOB.

We went to Hawaii for our honeymoon in '99 and absouloutly fell in love with the place.

Our trip cost around $13,000.00 in '99 but it was soooo worth it, Hawaii is about the most perfect place I've been to and I'll be going back just as soon as I've paid for the honeymoon!

The only down side was the journey home at the end, obviously 'cause we didn't want to leave but also, we took a late night flight to make the most of our last day and then took ~5hrs to SF with ~2hr stopover and then ~11hrs to London ~1hr on a coach to our friends house 'near' the Heathrow to pick up our car for ~2hr drive to catch a ~4hr ferry before getting home. Bed to bed I was up 42hrs without any sleep then a few hours later I had to drag myself out of bed for our wedding reception. :eek:

It was still worth it though.

Have a great time and don't miss the road to Hana, Haleakela, Lahania and try a helicopter ride if you can. Also it may just be me but the whole place seemed to smell, not unpleasantly, of popcorn? I think it's the sugar cane, I can’t go to the movies without thinking of Hawaii.:)
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
18,388
42
1123.6536.5321
devilot said:
My family and I opted to go in tour/van for the drive, it was nice because 1)my dad and mom didn't bit*h and argue over directions/getting lost, 2)my dad can't whine that as the driver he didn't get a chance to experience it, and 3)well, it's just simpler I suppose.
We had thought about doing that as well, but we had already lined up our rental cars and all that, so we'll just do it ourselves. Compared to some of the driving experiences we had in Eastern Europe, I'm sure this will be a walk (or drive) in the park... ;)

devilot said:
I personally can't help myself but to enjoy some of the touristy aspects of traveling. :eek:
Yes, I must admit, eating in nice restaurants and staying in hotels will be nice compared to sleeping in hostels and grabbing breakfast at the local grocery store. ;) That being said, we have found backpacking as the way to really see a country, find all those "hidden gems" and experience its culture and its people in a "natural" way. So many people just seem to want to stay in the commercialized concrete jungles of resorts and hop on buses which just drive them around, charge them way too much, and show them the old standard sights that everyone has seen a million times. Not for me, but to each his own!

That's why I'm looking forward to all the adventure activities we have planned, and driving out to Hana and just winging it in terms of where we'll go and where we'll spend the night. Should be a great trip! :cool:
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
18,388
42
1123.6536.5321
mpw said:
You lucky, lucky, lucky SOB.
Yes, I know. ;) :cool:

mpw said:
The only down side was the journey home at the end, obviously 'cause we didn't want to leave but also, we took a late night flight to make the most of our last day and then took ~5hrs to SF with ~2hr stopover and then ~11hrs to London ~1hr on a coach to our friends house 'near' the Heathrow to pick up our car for ~2hr drive to catch a ~4hr ferry before getting home. Bed to bed I was up 42hrs without any sleep then a few hours later I had to drag myself out of bed for our wedding reception. :eek:
Yeah, I've had quite a few of those myself on my many travels - isn't international travel fun! :p

mpw said:
Have a great time and don't miss the road to Hana, Haleakela, Lahania and try a helicopter ride if you can.
Yep, all on our list of things to do, except for the helicopter ride - I'll have to look into that when we're there, that could be cool as well. :)
 

0098386

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
21,553
2,886
~Shard~ said:
...as I'll be too busy sitting on the beach and relaxing with my lovely new wife. :)
what about the old one!? what will she be doing for 2 weeks? :eek:
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,817
37
Andover, MA
Have a blast! Let arn know so he can take a server or two offline... what with the soon-to-be-dramatically-reduced posting load and all.
 

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
3,124
0
washington dc
kuaii is my second favorite island, lanaii is the prettiest in my opinion. maui is a close third. have been 4 seperate times, for a month each time.
 

mpw

Guest
Jun 18, 2004
6,364
1
raggedjimmi said:
what about the old one!? what will she be doing for 2 weeks? :eek:
Ever noticed how wives, especially your only wife, hate being introduced as "...and this is Britney my current wife." or "...my 1st wife." and likewise when you're out with your kids and your wife is there and someone asks "are these your children?" and you say "Yes these are my children with my first wife.":D
 

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
2,627
0
Cloud 9 (-6)
~Shard~ said:
Thanks guys, I am looking forward to it! Pictures will definitely follow. And I'll have a few drinks just for you grapes911. ;)
You bastard you ;)

Pictures are a must, I'm not going to thank you because I expect them at the least :p

Have a few drinks for him, then have at least two more on my behalf. Have a great time friend, enjoy the honeymoon and all the mooning that goes with it. Have a wonderful trip! :D
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
18,388
42
1123.6536.5321
jsw said:
Have a blast! Let arn know so he can take a server or two offline... what with the soon-to-be-dramatically-reduced posting load and all.
Haha - good one, my friend - it's funny because it's true... :cool:

gwuMACaddict said:
kuaii is my second favorite island, lanaii is the prettiest in my opinion. maui is a close third. have been 4 seperate times, for a month each time.
I have also heard great things about Kauai. As I stated above, we like to stay away from the really touristy places, which is the main reason we're not going to Oahu, and conversely one of the reasons we wanted to go to Kauai. While we're there we plan on doing a lot of hiking and ocean kayaking. Any recommendations on specific sights to see, places to eat, etc. while we're there?
 

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
18,388
42
1123.6536.5321
efoto said:
You bastard you ;)

Pictures are a must, I'm not going to thank you because I expect them at the least :p

Have a few drinks for him, then have at least two more on my behalf. Have a great time friend, enjoy the honeymoon and all the mooning that goes with it. Have a wonderful trip! :D
Thanks a lot efoto, will do. I must say, I'm going to be stinking drunk most days if I follow through with having all these drinks for people - the list keeps getting larger and larger! Not that I'm complaining of course... ;) :cool:

Pictures will definitely be posted, either here or in the Pics thread. :)
 

mpw

Guest
Jun 18, 2004
6,364
1
~Shard~ said:
...all these drinks for people - the list keeps getting larger and larger!...
Have the cranberry & vodka cocktail at sunset from the bar at Whalers Village, Kannapali (I forget the name) and have a cheeseburger from Cheeseburger in Paradise in Lahania for me if you're doing requests. Thanks ...mmmmm....cheeseburger and cocktails:D