I'm on my third iPad (3rdgen)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tmurray315, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Tmurray315 macrumors regular

So I pre ordered the iPad 3 I got it on the 16th with apple care +. The day I got it I noticed it had backlight bleeding I'm very anal about things like this so I went to a apple retail store and swapped it out with another one. Now the one I got has the same light bleeding so I called apple and they said they will send me a replacement. I love this iPad I just don't want it to have any problems. Are the new iPads known to have light bleeding? This is my first time owning an iPad is this normal? I hope the next one I get doesn't have this issue

2. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Looking so hard for stuff like that would just ruin your enjoyment so I mean I dod a few basic checks to make sure the panel isnt faulty but then thats it. What if tyour third panel doesnt meet your expectations? Are you just going to keep returning it or settle on one? You could decide to do that and end up with a worse panel than you originally had.

3. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

^^^ This. Looked at the screen when it was booting (black, apple logo) and decided it looked great. Loaded a white page in Safari and decided the colour was even, not horribly yellow, and there were no glowing red dots (those are the only stuck pixels that annoy me!) and then I called it a day. I know if I go hunting, I'm just asking for trouble.

4. chemistry76 macrumors member

For the price of these objects, don't settle until you are satisfied.

That being said, I did have screen bleed on my iPad 2 that I got a week after release. I waited until January to replace it though - just before I sold it for a higher premium than I would have gotten for the one I'd been toting around for a year.

If you find a flaw you can live with, keep it until just before the warranty expires, then replace it and sell it for more $$ to get the new one coming out.

My 4S has a crooked home button... that might need fixing sometime this fall...

5. rdstoll macrumors 6502

Solution: stop being so anal.

6. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

The source of your problem.

But seriously, would you have noticed the problem on it's own or did you go looking for it after reading about other's problems here? Not saying you should ignore significant issues but as the other posters have said, if you go looking hard enough for problems you're probably going to find something.

I had no issues with my old iPad 2 when I got it last year. Was reading about various problems people were having and decided to check for backlight bleeding using one of the numerous methods people suggest and found slight instances in a few spots--decided not to bother returning it as I didn't notice it during everyday use and had I not looked for it, probably never would have noticed it.

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If your third iPad bleeds at 100% brightness in a dark closet then it is not a iPad problem.

I think you will be hard to please and will ruin you entire experience of owning one great device.

Unless you can relax and use your iPad under "normal" conditions, you are doomed to be very unhappy. Not just unhappy with your iPad but a lot of things in life are far from perfect!

Even Apple's high price for the iPad does not buy absolute perfection, though many here will argue that they deserve it!:p

8. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Depends on the severity of light bleed, and if there are any other major issues (i.e. screen cracks, dead pixels, dust under screen, scratches etc).

I had to swap out my first iPad 3rd Gen, because the entire top side of the iPad was bleeding light. It looked like someone had installed a flashlight to the top of my iPad at a 30 degree angle. Luckily, the replacement I was given had no defects.

That being said, yes, there is such thing as being too picky and anal. If you have a dead pixel at the edge of your screen and it doesn't really affect you, is it really necessary to have it replaced? Probably not. Can you get it replaced? Maybe, but is it really worth all your time chasing down the perfect iPad? That's on you.

9. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

Here Here! I agree with the others that unless it's an obvious problem, it's more detrimental to your well being to go looking for problems. This is my first iPad and after checking to make sure there were no obvious flaws and it appears to operate correctly, I'm leaving it alone. If something pops out at me over time using it, that's one thing.

As in life if your always look for problems, you'll probably find them. Nothing is absolutely perfect.

10. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

You have to quit being so anal. There's no way you're ever going to get a perfect one. The second you exchange, you start a cycle that you'll never get out of. You've exchanged thinking that the new unit will be 100% flawless. You inspect it to make sure. You find a tiny flaw (a mark on the aluminum, a speck of dust under the screen, etc.) and you get pissed all over again. This was a replacement and should have been perfect, right? You take it back again, you get another one. You inspect it, you find another flaw.

See the pattern here? If it's something you don't notice with normal usage, let it go. If it's something that's interfering with your normal workflow on the iPad, exchange it. Most people only see light bleed if they turn the brightness all the way up in a pitch dark room and put it on an all black screen. That's not a normal usage situation.

11. rkahl macrumors 65816

I honestly do not know why Pharmaceutical companies don't advertise on MacRumors!

12. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

OP, please return the iPad for a refund, not an exchange. The device's tolerances will never live up to your bloated expectations.
    Sorry it didn't work out.

13. mattg3 macrumors 6502

Why blame the guy for wanting a perfect panel.Maybe if Apple production and inspection were a little more anal this stuff would not be happening

14. Tmurray315 thread starter macrumors regular

You guys are right I should stop being anal. But isn't the light bleeding a defect? I see a lot of people saying that their iPads has no bleeding what so ever. I just spend good money on this and want it perfect. The bleed on my screen isn't that bad not that noticeable, but now that I know it's there it kinda upsets me. Are these iPads suppose to have this bleed?

15. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Light bleed is a defect. If you're watching a movie at night on the couch (which could very well be as dark as a closet) then it's not hard to notice bleed along the top/bottom borders. This would distract from the picture, especially if you know it's there.

I didn't even know what light bleed was until I saw puffy white spots on a dark screen so I wasn't looking for it (years ago, I know now). If you don't like it, exchange it or return it. That's what the return exchange policy is in place for.

16. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I suggest a solution for you.

Buy 10 of these ($50 each, cheaper in bulk):

[​IMG]

Throw away any that don't meet your requirements of perfection. Keep the remainder. Call it a day.

Someone like you will be happier in the long run.

17. Tmurray315 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes my light bleed isn't that bad but I can notice it now? Does any one on this thread has light bleed? If its a defect why should I settle with it if I paid a lot for this device? Apple is suppose to send me a replacement are those new devices?

18. KPOM macrumors G5

Light bleeding seems to be a common, albeit far from universal complaint with iPads. It was an issue with the iPad 2, and apparently still happens with the new version. I haven't noticed it with mine, but I don't use it in dark locations very often.

Often times, these types of issues are more common early in the production run, so perhaps you may have better luck with the replacement you are receiving from Apple. However, my advice is if it happens again to go to a retail store and ask to try it before you leave the store.

19. Tmurray315 thread starter macrumors regular

When they send you replacements are they new? I have AppleCare + so they said they can send me a replacement then I send them mine

20. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Bingo! I'm probably gonna get voted down for being a realist but oh well.

If you buy a brand new $200,000 Ferrari (car equivalent to iPads being expensive over competition) that has a single 10-inch scratch on it, maybe not too deep, maybe under the rear bumper where it's not visible unless you look for it, maybe inside on the leather seat right where you sit down and cover it up... You know it's not supposed to be there, you know it doesn't effect your driving it. Do you keep it just the way it is because you'll never get in an accident because of it? :rolleyes: Of course not. You get it fixed/replaced/price marked down/ect because its a defect. You don't settle for something like that.

No knock on apple, they try for perfection as a lot of great companies do!....and things happen. It's definitely not your fault so you don't have to deal with it. Apple wants you to be happy and they always strive to make you that way! That's what makes them such a great company!

21. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

There are degrees of being anal about something! As was pointed out earlier, someone was complaining before about noticing light bleeding in a dark room with the brightness cranked to 100%. If that was the only time you could notice it, IMO that would probably not warrant an exchange. If you could see it during normal use, then you should exchange it.

22. aka777 macrumors 6502a

However the iPad is not a Ferrari, moreover, it's the software the makes Apple products, not the hardware.

When it comes to hardware, Android wins hands down. Heck, my Blackberry Playbook still has numerous technical features that are significantly better than any ipad. The Stereo HD mics and stereo front-facing speaker for example are awesome.

To put price into perspective:

iPad: $499
    Asus Prime: $499
    Galaxy Note: $450

Certainly no Ferrari or Rolls Royce equivalent.

23. wgr73, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

So much fail. You're false on too many levels. People love Apple hardware because of the simplicity, like fine art.

I've had all of the devices you're listing. The Prime doesn't deserve to bo on that level for many, many reasons (no working GPS, weak wifi, poor sound, ect..). The note is an ok device, but android is lacking.

I highly disagree that apple is not the very most high-end tablet. Even android fanatics will say it is. Price being the driving factor here.

24. aka777 macrumors 6502a

These guys are also pushing the device to levels that are not considered ordinary usage. It's like driving a car at redline, then saying its crap because the engine blows.

I've had a iphone 4 for 1.5 years and today did the 100% screen in a dark room test and noticed that there is a bit of light bleed. Point being that it didn't affect my usage the slightest and I never even noticed it.

If someone has nothing better to do with their life than complain about this miniscule lightbleed or yellow tints, they have other bigger problems they should be concerned about.

25. Steelers7510 macrumors 6502

Steelers7510

If you look for problems you will find them. Its as simple as that.