I'm returning my iPhone 3G S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Californian, Jun 20, 2009.

1. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

So the other night I got the 3G S⃣ itch. I decided that I wanted to get it, I could afford it, and that if I happened to be up at 7:30, I would go down to AT&T and if they happened to have any left, I would get one.

So like a kid on Christmas morning, I woke up right at 7:30, threw on some clothes and drove down to the AT&T store where a pathetic line of about 7 people had developed, haha. I hopped on line and by the time it was my turn I was told they had 2 16GB White, 10 16GB Black, 30 32GB White, and 25 32GB Black. Needless to say, I bought one. I went with the 16GB White since I don't really need the space as I use my 32GB iPod Touch for all of my media needs, and I wanted white so my girlfriend and I could finally tell the difference between our phones, haha.

So I got home and had second thoughts, I taped the receipt to it and set it on my desk as I backed up my 3G and and everything. Then I just ripped it open, turned it one and played with it for about 20 minutes at which point I realized, "These new features are nice ... but i'll never use them". The only new feature I could possibly see myself using frequently is video. It was not fast enough to make me feel like my 3G was lagging at all, and honestly ... that auto-focus is crap.

My opinion, if you're going to be advertising a product for it's incredible photo and video capabilities ... make those capabilities incredible and innovative ... not 1999. They only pretty cool feature was the video editing, but why would I need that? I'll pass.

So I packed everything back up nicely into the box, Jailbroke my 3G for the first time and installed Cycorder, and i'll be returning my 3G S⃣ today ( Thanks AT&T for your 30 day policy ), and this means someone's getting a refurb that's in perfect condition!

I can see the desire to upgrade from 2G to 3G, and from 2G to 3G S⃣ ... just not 3G to 3G S⃣ unless you really need the 32GB of space. Just my opinion.

Thanks - Eric

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i agree there

my 3g is overkill as is

would it be nice to have a 3gs? sure
    is the 3gs better than the 3g? sure

is it worth commiting to another 2year plan and paying multiple hundreds for the priveledge to have it imo? no

3. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

Ok. You certainly don't have to have the iPhone 3G s if you don't think you'll use the extra features. Good luck with your jailbroken 3G.

4. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

It's only worth it to upgrade if: 1) You were going to be an iPhone subscriber for two years anyway (which I was, and AT&T SERVICE WISE is only going to get better), and 2) You can sell your original iPhone for a reasonable price to cover the cost.

Seeing as I knew I could do both, I took the plunge. And going from 8GB to 16GB is impressively awesome, let alone now I can take some great videos. And I mean GREAT!

5. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Thats why im glad we have pay and go in the UK. Just brought a 16GB S⃣ White and put my sim in and selling my 3G and will sell the S⃣ in a year when i upgrade my contract with the new 2010 phone :)

6. Scottyfrombi macrumors member

Just buy a video camera

You can get a very nice compact video camera for the cost of a 32 gig and keep the 3G for your phone and other needs.

7. amsukalski macrumors newbie

Are you still bound to the new 2 year contract you entered when you purchased the 3G S, or is there a return period on the contract just like the phone?

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yup. Everyone has different needs. At least you realized this before your 30 days is up. It was worth it to me but I've always had more money that brains, but I don't have a lot of either. :D

9. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

Yah, there was no way I was going to commit to another contract because I most likely will want to upgrade next year, and i'll want that pricing then. So I went for the "Commitment Free" $599 route. I can buy myself a nice new guitar for that much.

I was thinking this one: [​IMG] Instead of this one: [​IMG]

haha

10. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

I paid $542 (tax) for my 3gs for early upgrade etc etc...I'm sooo glad I did! The feel of the screen, the voice control, the better gps, the rendering times, everything is twice as nice as the 3g. IMO

11. iGary Guest

iGary

For me, it's the speed.

This phone is so much faster than my 2G phone it's unreal. I actually find myself using Maps, Safari and other apps so much more now, where I used to wait an eternity. The camera is so much better I actually take pictures with it now.

The other thing that tipped me over the edge is the fact that TomTom is coming to the iPhone - one less gadget for me to tote around.

I'm a happy camper. :)

12. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I have been debating on upgrading too. I think I will just stay jailbroken on my 3G and try to enable as many of the 3G S features as possible.

13. jalpert macrumors 6502

It depends on what type of user you are. If you are a light user, then I could see the speed not being a big deal. I am constantly in and out of mail and messages. I constantly have small snippets of time. The speed is ideal for these situations.

To me, with the faster phone, not only is the phone more fun to use, but even the keyboard feels better to me because of how absurdly responsive it is. It's light and day.

Also, take into consideration push notifications. I'm not too huge a fan, but I'm curious to see what people do with them. Take for example AIM, in which I'm fortunate to have installed with push notifications on my 3GS. I send an AIM, then I close the program. After I get my notification, I have a keyboard in approximately 2 seconds. Apps on the 3G S in my experience load 2-4x quicker. If AIM loads 3x quicker, the difference between waiting 2 seconds every time you want to send an aim and 6 seconds is a huge deal. It may not sound like it, or it may not be to someone who AIMs a little, but 6 seconds is a long time to send a message.

I think the horsepower is going to matter, we're going to be doing a lot more app switching with push notifications (only time will tell for sure)

14. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

I'm there with ya. I'm on a family plan and my mom gets us a great FAN discount, so I don't see us changing from AT&T anytime soon. Also, I was able to sell my old 3G for the same price as my 3G S which worked out perfectly.

15. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

I certainly do, and I certainly don't need the extra features.

I bought it "Commitment Free". So I didn't have to sign a new contract. But I do believe there is a 30 Day period on your contract as well, at least in the State of California, we have a "Buyers Remorse Clause" in most contracts.

16. bombboy macrumors regular

bombboy

Congratulations, and we care because? Apparently you're not a power user on your 3G because the speed has increased my on-phone productivity by a very good margin. Funny though, at the end of the day you complain yet the phone in your pocket will still be an iPhone so guess who's already won? ... :apple: ...

17. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

I have a question.

These videos that you take with the 3GS, are they syncable with itunes?
    Can they be saved on your Mac/PC like pictures thru itunes?

Or, is the only way to back up your videos is to email them to your email address and save them?

Thanx.

18. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

I thought the same thing until I used the 3G S. The speed is truly amazing. I could never use the 3G again. The difference in speed is so noticeable that I still am amazed at how much better of an experience this makes the phone.

Without a doubt a must have upgrade for iPhone users (and I was bitching about this phone before its release).

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you know what my plan is?

dont touch the new iphone and maybe just wait till next year to get blown away:p

if i dont know the increase in speed, i wont care!......if i do know the difference, i will always be like bummer, wish i had it

20. thisisarcadia macrumors 6502

if you remember when the first iPhone was introduces 3 years ago they said that this was the first of many to come and called it the iphone road map, so why wait for small upgrade in hardware when in the next few years technology is going to be so much more advanced and better. I'm waiting for many reason and if you want to know just ask

21. Stiss macrumors 6502a

Well you know what!

I'm not even going to touch a 3GS, so I wont know what I'm missing (if anything at all really) that way I will still be happy with my 3G and roll on June next year for another new iPhone.

Then I will not have to pay ridiculous amounts of money (£500 upwards) for a new phone because of O2 T & C's.

22. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

And I can see how dramatic of a change it would be coming from a 2G to the 3G S⃣ ... It's just not enough of a change from me to justify the cost.

Yah, that's exactly what i've decided. I know I won't be able to jailbreak video editing or compass, but I just don't think I would need those in general. I have a pretty decent internal compass. After a day of using the 3G S⃣ I just noticed how right my internal compass is, haha.

I am always online using my 3G, I recently started using it for tethering as well. But I SMS an embarrassingly huge amount, and I also use the e-mail frequently. After using the 3G S⃣ for an entire day, I just couldn't justify the pricetag. I'll also be that much more impressed upgrading from my 3G to the 2010 generation.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Good idea, because it's blasting fast! :D

24. Stiss macrumors 6502a

I ask myself now do I need a much faster phone and the answer at the minute is no. If I go fiddle with a 3GS I know I will want one though, because I like to feel I have everything upto date.

The only gripe i have with the speed of my 3G is when opening the camera app. I feel because it takes a few seconds you can miss that magic moment when taking a picture.

25. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

You didn't have to read it, but I'm glad I could waste your time if you're gonna be a jerk about it.

If you actually read some of the replies above you, you will see that some people were feeling the same way I was, so hopefully I can save them the trouble of going out and buying one to end up figuring this out on their own.

Also, I am nothing short of an iPhone power user, but I'm not an Apple fanboy in the manner that I need everything that is slightly better. This truly isn't a big enough upgrade to justify $599. If I was upgrade eligible ( I mean, FULL UPGRADE ELIGIBLE ) then I would probably get it ... but I'll hold out.