I'm Riddled with Guilt!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MACDRIVE, Mar 5, 2008.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I got a speeding ticket today; I was doing 54 in a 40. Not only did I break the law, I was also putting other people's lives at risk. :eek: :(

2. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

3. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Yes I am. A simple fine is not enough though; I should go to jail for a day instead. :eek:

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

But if you are speeding, its harder for them to get out of the way. Remember women/children are Bonus points!

5. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

there must be a reason, you drove faster than you are actually allowed to.

and that would be...?

6. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

eh? sometimes you can fight tickets that are 10 and possibly (but not very likely) 15 over.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

so why did you speed again if you feel so strongly about it??

8. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I was on my way home from the gas station with a fresh gallon of gas for the mower; I wanted to get hope before the sun went down so I could mow my lawn. Yes I know that was incredibly stupid; hence the guilt. :eek:

9. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

eh, its really not that bad at all. don't worry so much. some cops would have let it go while others (like the one you ran into) will get you

10. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I got a ticket for 93 in a 55 zone once. Feel better?
    (yes, it was expensive).

11. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

and did you feel, there is a person's life you REALLY risked? or is it just this "it could have happened" kind of thing...?

12. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

And then there's the fine; what is it like 5 dollars for every mile over? It's been a long time since I've had a speeding ticket; what if it's 15 dollars for every mile over?!!? They should just let guilty people like me have the option of going to jail instead of paying the fine; hence the regret. :eek:

13. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Here, I'll make you feel better.

A guy in my high school class went 125mph in a 55mph zone.:eek: no joke.

Don't worry about it, mate, everyone does it.

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

all i know is i speed ALL the time. granted never more than 5 most of the time

was going 65 in a 40 in town once and a cop was sitting right at a corner. made a siren at me but didnt chase. i thought i got a photo ticket so the uncertainty of it made me eventually go BACK to the cop car and ask if i got a photo ticket and i admitted i was speeding. well i didnt lol. i was 17

at night though, ive gotten my car at 110 on a 50 on country roads. before i do that though i drive the distance first to "patrol" for hidden cops then go back and let it rip haha

amazingly ive yet to ever receive any type of ticket..... and ive been driving for 7 years about

15. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I must've been; that's why they have the speed limit set for 40MPH I suppose. :eek:

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Settle down....it's just a speeding ticket. Don't beat yourself up to it. You didn't hurt anyone, and whether you're hit by a car going 40 or 54, you're f**ked anyways, so it not like it matters :D

And if it makes you feel any better, I'm guilty of getting well into the triple digits on the highway (for a very short time. I know I'm an idiot. I'm not proud of it. I don't plan on doing it again. And no, I didn't get caught)

17. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yup, in my younger days i was once caught doing 180 on a 60 zone at 3 am coming out of a club (kms), very stupid very very stupid,, got my license suspended for a year a:eek:nd the car towed and all...

18. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

no. the 40 mph is there to piss you off. really.

hey but kidding aside. there is not one person, who is able to drive, who cannot say they never drove too fast.

i believe a lot of situations make us do this things. unfortunately, sometimes it does not end so well.

pay the fine and try to pace yourself next time. try out time management or something...

19. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I received a text message from a friend once; it said in entirety, "airplane radar does exist." ...Funniest thing I ever read. She was caught going 97 mph in a 65/70.

I always do my best to keep myself within 5 mph of the limit.

20. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

When I was 16, I almost hit and certainly would have killed a kid in a crosswalk, going about 55mph in a 25 zone. I was changed after that day. I do speed, but never in excess anymore. More so speeding on the highway.

Worst offenses were about 90mph in a 25 and 115 in a 50 :eek::(

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I haven't hit a kid yet. He was too quick for me and got out of the way.

22. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

So, you sped a little, got a fine, but now feel guilty that this was not enough and want to be banged up for a day.

You must be kidding.

:rolleyes:

23. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Speeding is a strange thing really. Some people won't go over the limit, ever. Some may just touch 45 in a 40 at worst. And then there are others who do over 100 in a 50?

And I don't really like to have a go at people on a forum, but:

dukebound85

Why do we have speed limits? Is it to provide an income for the police and use up a few more of those precious prison cells? Or is it to protect peoples lives from people who drive excessively fast? By doing 110 on a 50 you are not only putting your life at risk, but also those of anyone else on the road. Just by covering your ass and checking there are no police cars isn't going to save anyones life.

Not having a dig, but I do think your attitude is pretty irresponsible (OK so I am having a dig!).

24. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

Because it was on a country road in an area that he's familiar with, late at night with nobody else around for miles? While I wouldn't condone speeding in normal circumstances, this seems close to ok. Heck, I'd probably do the same thing myself if the roads were smooth and twisty.

Long ago when I was in Canada, I almost hit a ground hog while going pedal to the metal in a go-kart on a go-karting track. I avoided it only by slamming the breaks and going turning the steering wheel all the way round in the opposite direction. I crashed into the used tyre barricade, and the worst part was that nobody believed me about the groundhog; they just thought I messed up while driving.

25. BigPrince macrumors 68020

What I did was 65 mph in a 45mph.
    What I was told I did was 70 mph in a 35 mph.

What I got ticketed for was failure to abide by traffic control devices.
    He listed speed limit signs as the device I failed to abide by.

$107.50 USD.

Really nice guy. I was 19 at the time, rushing to a meeting that could not get started because of a technology mishap. No points on my liscnese instead of practically losing it. The cop was actually still in training.