Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
It would be beneficial to know what % of battery is being allocated for the touch bar. It's designed to fade off after a period of time is that due to conserving battery or just a visual aspect. I can't help but think it's like my iPhone, anytime I use Touch ID and my screen goes on its using up my battery to perform a function.

niploteksi

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2016
This is where the complaints get posted. Actually, the whole web is a magnet for complaints. If I paid too much attention to the web I wouldn't be driving and loving the fastest sedan in the world, or using the best cameras, best computers...etc. At some point you just have to role the dice.

Do you mean that nothing you buy gets positive reviews? I think it's only natural for people to posts their complains on the internet, what good would would they do in a local newspaper. I would have guessed you made an educated guess based on what you read and your own experiences rather than just rolling the dice and buying random stuff. In my world even if Apple gets some negative reviews and a lot of complaints, the general consensus is that they produce above average quality on most of their products.

Calby

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2015
Sweden, Gävle
I did return my mbp 2016 and replaced it with a 15" mbp 2015 with 4 core CPU and 16GB of ram.

I did replace 3 MacBook pros 2016, and that was it!
I'll buy the 2021 model until that the 2015 will do.

Mindinversion

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
It's designed to fade off after a period of time is that due to conserving battery or just a visual aspec

Neither, actually. OLED panels suffer from "Burn In", where a static image, if displayed long enough, will actually etch itself into the screen permanently. The auto shutoff is a defense mechanism against this, though it mat also help conserve battery life etc.

Reactions: Sanpete

niploteksi

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2016
I did replace 3 MacBook pros 2016, and that was it!
I'll buy the 2021 model until that the 2015 will do.

The 2015 is a really nice laptop and by 2021 I'm sure Apple has done away with batteries and keyboards so it will be a much nicer experience!

ETechMaster2002

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2016
No issues here! Or deal-breakers. I use my MPB at school so if something is off, people will notice.

The keyboard is great ... yes it is a little bit loud but no one has said "who is typing like that?". One issue is FANS. People have said, "What is that sound?" or "What is that?", including teachers when the fans go off. I have no idea how to fix it ... SCM ... PRAM ... Safe Boot ... First Aid ... Recovery Mode ... ending processes .... nothing fixes it. The fans are mainly an issue during logging in though ... nothing else however.

The Touch Bar is very useful! Yes, better app support will be nice. However, it is very useful .... it is not a gimmick .... it is something that has improved my productivity and it is now something that I can't live without. Very worth the money! Very happy I got. It is just the fan issue during login I hope gets improved because I tried everything but the issue is just during login so it isn't enough for me to take it to Apple.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
Yeah....fans should only come on when system is heavily taxed and temps come on. Sounds like some sort of software issue. Did you update the OS to the latest?

If it still does it, take it in.

R.

ETechMaster2002

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2016
Your fans come on when you log in? That's not normal. Have you talked to Apple? Do you have some big task that occurs each time you log in?
Yeah ... I've talked to Apple and they temporarily fixed by having me going into Recovery Mode to run a First Aid on the SSD. Then it came back so I did a SCM reset, PRAM reset, disabled all login items (so nothing it really loading other than System processes), decided to boot into Safe Boot to see if that can solve something. But none of them worked.

I'm about to update to the latest macOS version and I'll see how it goes. I should also note that whenever certain applications also cause the system to completely fail the next boot. The system runs fine while the application is running however during the next boot the next morning (since I normally shut down at the night) the system completely fails to get past login and when it does get past login the system is awfully slow so I have to perform First Aid in recovery mode to get it running again. I can promise you that is NOT normal but it works once I do the First Aid. However ... it is frustrating. Any advice on that if the update doesn't fix it? App developers say it has something to do with Apple's software.

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
Yeah ... I've talked to Apple and they temporarily fixed by having me going into Recovery Mode to run a First Aid on the SSD. Then it came back so I did a SCM reset, PRAM reset, disabled all login items (so nothing it really loading other than System processes), decided to boot into Safe Boot to see if that can solve something. But none of them worked.

I'm about to update to the latest macOS version and I'll see how it goes. I should also note that whenever certain applications also cause the system to completely fail the next boot. The system runs fine while the application is running however during the next boot the next morning (since I normally shut down at the night) the system completely fails to get past login and when it does get past login the system is awfully slow so I have to perform First Aid in recovery mode to get it running again. I can promise you that is NOT normal but it works once I do the First Aid. However ... it is frustrating. Any advice on that if the update doesn't fix it? App developers say it has something to do with Apple's software.

Wow. I have to say that your machine sounds like it has a more serious defect and I would send/take it back right away. Unless you're running some seriously odd-ball apps, it sounds like a lemon to me.

R.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah

As @CaptRB says, this has the appearance of a hardware issue. Peculiar that running repair on the SSD fixed it temporarily, odd that it needed repair so soon, and that it worked, and then nothing else did. Are you running some unusual software that might have kicked this off?

ETechMaster2002

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2016
As @CaptRB says, this has the appearance of a hardware issue. Peculiar that running repair on the SSD fixed it temporarily, odd that it needed repair so soon, and that it worked, and then nothing else did. Are you running some unusual software that might have kicked this off?
Nothing seems unusual in my launchpad right? Nothing that would seem to cause such issue right?
IMG_2781.JPG
IMG_2782.JPG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.