I'm sorry but cydia sucks

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by BHP41, Dec 12, 2010.

1. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

It has to be the worst design that hasn't changed in all the years. When you try to scroll, it sticks and usually takes you to some add that when you go back and try to get to more info about what you're looking at it takes you back to the same damn add. If you go to some other app/whatever you get the same add. I have to exit out and reload the whole thing which sucks anyway. Sorry for all those in love with it but it feels worse than android. I only use a few features but liked search around for something else that I may want but it's just to much hassle. Someone needs to tell saurik to fix this. Ok. Done with my rant.

2. Harrelson macrumors member

those ads are killer. u need to be careful with your finger my friend

3. Merkie macrumors 68020

I agree. It's also ridiculously slow. Even on the iPhone 4.

4. Fijiman1 macrumors newbie

Just to let you know there is a newer faster version of Cydia available. And if you don't like Cydia , ICY is available again to download.

5. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

6. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

7. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Saurik just needs to change the code a little bit to make it feel a lot faster (by using threads). I once suggested helping him to do so in an email, but I never got a response...

8. BHP41, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2010

BHP41 thread starter macrumors 6502a

BHP41

The speed is ok. I haven't searched for how to gett he new version but speed isn't the biggest issue for me. If all I'm going to get is a slightly faster version with the same BS what's the point??? My biggest issue is with the adds. Now, i dont mind the adds I just don't like how if I hit one(because Cydia has the worst scrolling of any app that there is) and go back to the main page, if I want to look at another app I get the same damn add. It is ridiculous. Back to scrolling. How do you **** that up on the iPhone??? Android is smoother than that with flash content running!! I know, I have a Incredible.

I know it's not the app store, but with all those adds don't you think he could hire someone with some GUI skill??? I do appreciate all that is being done but come on.

I heard ICY is back. I haven't searched to find out where to get it. Just don't have a lot of time these days, which makes using something like Cydia that much more frustrating. It's almost 2011 and Cydia feels like the 90s. Over exaggerating but you get what I mean.

9. labman, Dec 12, 2010

labman macrumors 604

labman

saurik bought ICY so why would it be back they have made improvements to Cydia add the repo iphoneroot.com/repo then select cydia installer. and Saurik has more plans to improve it. there are reasons for the way it is. any way best advice if you hate it with a passion just don't use it because Cydia is the Jailbreakers App Store. ;) also this was more a topic for the hacking forum then the iphone forum since allot of people in this forum don't jailbreak.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Dont be sorry, just come up with your own installer app and stop complaining about Cydia and just dont use it any more.

11. QuarterSwede, Dec 12, 2010

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I agree that the ad (not add) issue is a definitely problem. More often than not I'm trying to scroll and it thinks I'm tapping an ad. Supremely annoying. However, it isn't the worst scrolling. That title goes to Netflix on the iPhone. And I agree, how do you screw up scrolling which is a native API!?

Also, I'd like to note that just because it's free doesn't mean we have to overlook it's OBVIOUS shortcomings. I appreciate what Jay has done (it's seriously changed how I use my phone) and I'm not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth but it's really just a fancy APT front-end ... and a rather poor one at that.

12. JASApplications macrumors 65816

If only Cydia didn't exist! :(

13. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

As labman said, there's a new, faster version available. And it also fixes the ad issue, where if you accidentally click on one, you have to restart Cydia to continue doing anything.

Maybe do some research first before bad-mouthing it (and on the wrong forum to boot)?

14. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

Exactly! The new version fixes all the issue's speed/ads/etc..

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

16. Fijiman1 macrumors newbie

Don't forget without the ad's you get limited information on the app you want to download, no or limited screenshots, MoreInfo.

To take out the ad'sin Cydia :

Create a backup copy of /Applications/Cydia.app/package.js and copy it to your PC/Mac using a file transfer method (SCP for example).

Open it up, find the line that reads (it's on line number 208 of the file):
    var depiction = package.depiction;

Change it to:
    var depiction = null;

Save package.js and upload it to your iPhone in /Applications/Cydia.app/, over-writing the old one.

Restart Cydia, load up a package, and enjoy the increased loading speed!

If you don't like it, you can do the reverse of what I have said here, or simply copy over your backup copy of package.js

17. BHP41, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010

BHP41 thread starter macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I might have been a little harsh earlier. Reflecting on my original post I SHOULD have ask "is there a fix". I do appreciate what Jay has/is doing. It was just extremely frustrating this morning. Wasn't trying to imply that Cydia sucks over all just that some aspects are frustrating. As far as searching, I wish I had the time these days to do so. It use to be that I did but not so much any more. Which is why there is MR with smart a's like myself that have more knowlege these days than I do.

Thanks labman for the repo, I don't "hate" Cydia by any means. I think it's great that devs have a place to host their apps away from apple. I don't use it for much but I like to look around to see what's new when I have a moment.

The title is a bit rough, I will agree. Overlooking the faults that something has puts us in the "fanboy" category. Thanks again for the repo and I will make the changes. This is what happens when you post out of frustration to vent and don't ask. Lol.

18. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

If you use a new jailbreak tool (the new redsn0w or PwnageTool) they all install the new Cydia. Most of the UI glitches are fixed, and ads no longer require you to restart Cydia

19. BHP41 thread starter macrumors 6502a

BHP41

So I installed the update for Cydia and it's a load better. Feels like the iPhone scrolling. The sticking has gone from the little that I've used it. The ad issue seems fixed so looks like all my complaints/frustrations were answered.

Big thanks to labman, you saved me the time to look it up and that means a ton. Thanks again.

Should've ask first but hey....

20. labman macrumors 604

labman

might also note that the repo has been slow this morning because Jay has been working on it this morning. Sorry those of us that understand Cydia are defensive I stopped using ICY long before it was taking down.

21. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

I have to agree, Cydia is very slow, almost to the point where it's annoying. Time for Saurik to revamp. As said previously even on iP4 its sluggish.

22. ericlin0122 macrumors member

ironically, I found that installoXX has better design than cydia itself. lol
    it's fast, it's ad free, it does background tasks.

23. JD914, Dec 12, 2010

JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Where do we get this? Is it available with the new 4.1.2 Redsnow jailbreak?

Please show us how to do this, thanks.

24. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I jailbroke my phone. Installed cydia. Realized why I don't like to jail break, so I restored my phone. If nothing feels as fluid as it does stock then I could care less about it.

25. labman macrumors 604

labman

Post #9 add the repo and install!