I'm torn (7 vs 7 plus)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gpo1956, Nov 6, 2016.

1. gpo1956 macrumors member

Are the hardware differences between the 7 and 7 Plus significant enough to justify the larger harder to carry size of the 7 Plus? Would the average user notice any significant performance differences between the two in day to day use?

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

This may sound strange but how big are you?

I was worried about the plus being too large for the last two years so always ended up with the 4.7" variants. This year I figured I'd try it out and take advantage of that return period if it didn't work out.

I knew before I finished setting up the phone that I had made the right choice. I would have never guessed that the 4.7" could feel too small. I'm 5'10 with pretty average sized hands.

3. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

If you're torn, I would recommend the ER:cool:
    Regarding your phone issue question, I went with the 7 because the plus size would not fit in any of my pockets.

4. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Can't speak to the hardware since I only have a 6Plus. But I will say that I love the larger size. I'm 6'2". The bigger size is great for videos, emails, games, everything. The battery life is better, etc. it is a pain in the ass to take this big phone on a run. I'm actually looking at getting an SE. I have a 12.9 IPP for data consumption now and I can mirror any iPhone to the Apple TV so phone since is a bit irreverent now. The only benefit is using Maps while driving.

5. x34 macrumors 6502

i never found the bigger size of the 7 plus significant...

6. the caveman macrumors 6502

Go with the regular 7. 7plus, like its predecessors, is poor design imho and eventually youll grow tired of carrying around that unergonomic brick

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I had an iPhone 6 and thought the same thing last year so I got the 6s. Finally went 7Plus this year, do not regret my decision at all. Its really not that much bigger in terms of carrying around, but the screen makes size makes a huge difference. I have no issue using the device one-handed either. For reference, I am 6ft tall. So not that big.

8. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

I always went with the 4.7" phone but this year went with the 5.5" iPhone 7 Plus because of the dual cameras and don't regret it one bit.

It did not take me long to adjust to the size of the phone and found it not to be that big of an issue fitting in my jean pockets. The bigger screen and battery makes up for the extra size. I hope next year the iPhone 8 will trim the bezels and this will it easier to use one handed.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I've had + models since they were available in 2014. I'm about 6'2" and I was used to the size within an hour or two. I have no problem fitting it into any pockets or any other place that I normally used my previous phone.

This year, my wife upgraded from her 6s to a 7+. She's 5'3" and doesn't carry a purse. Within a day of getting her new phone, she had picked up her 6s to disable find my iPhone and she commented on how tiny the screen was. She's commented on the battery life and the camera and the bigger screen, but hasn't had any issues with the size. She can't really fit it into her pockets, but she wasn't able to fit her iPhone 4s either(I don't understand why the make pockets in women's pants so shallow).

10. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

There is definitely an adjustment period for the Plus variant. But it's truly a better iPhone with more to offer in terms of hardware. I think 5.5 is perfect me. All in my opinion.

11. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

I agree and was debating which to get. However I need to keep the phone in a certain pocket for work and the plus would simply not fit. If not for that, I would have gone for the plus.

12. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

It's rumored next year, we might see three screen sizes (4.7, 5.0, 5.5) Possibly a 5.0 screen Might be a nice in between for you, if that's true.

13. Cayden macrumors 6502a

Cayden

Absolutely worth it. I used the 6 and 6s but couldn't resist the upgraded hardware and the double camera of the 7 Plus. You get used to the size pretty quick as well

14. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I had a 6+, and went back to a regular 7 for being more pocket friendly. But after 1 week, I returned it for a 7+. I was spoiled with the larger screen, and now couldn't go back to anything smaller.

15. gpo1956 thread starter macrumors member

I'm also 5'10. I'm 60 and my older eyes could use the larger screen, but is it a total pain to carry that this g

16. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

My father is having similar issues. I was able to convince him it was time to upgrade from his iPhone 5 to an iPhone 7. The larger screen really helps, but now he says he wishes he'd gone for the 7+.

17. fatalogic macrumors regular

fatalogic

My mom is 5 ft she love's the 7 plus. I tried to get her to get a smaller phone but she won't have it.

18. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I'm really looking forward to a 5.0 screen. I had the 6+ which I thought was too big and now the 7 feels a tad small so something in the middle sounds great!

19. timeconsumer, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016

timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

So the main differences are:

-Camera: I'm not an expert on the differences here so I doubt I could help much, but if you take a lot of photos you'll have more options with the 7 plus over the regular 7.
    -Screen size: 4.7" 750p vs. 5.5" 1080p screen.
    -More Ram: This could benefit any user, having more ram is always nice.
    -Battery life: The additional battery life could also benefit any user.

Have you used the 7 plus at all? I went from a 6s plus to the regular 7 and to me the smaller size/weight was more important than the additional features of the plus. If you haven't used a 7 plus before, I would recommend picking one up and making use of Apple's lenient return policy if you do not like it. For me when I got the 6s plus, I loved it immediately and I swore I would never go back to a smaller phone. Then about 6 months of owning it, I grew tired of the huge phone and decided I would prefer a smaller phone.

20. Newtons Apple, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

You get used to the Plus size iPhone in a day or so. Afterwards, you will not want to go back. I loved my 6S+ and now my 7+ and am not looking back.

21. Booloo macrumors regular

Booloo

The "larger and heavier" concern is more important than most things when deciding a Plus or a 4.7".

You use this device every single day. If it's difficult to hold and handle go with the standard sized iPhone 7.

22. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Just to keep it short and sweet:
    I love using Plus sized iPhone.
    1080P screen, more hardware features, and slightly larger battery. All in one size.
    Never regret getting a plus sized phone.

23. VesselA macrumors regular

two main issues/differences with previous regular size iphone were much worse battery life and no optical image stabilisation.

7 addressed these issues so now it's the same main camera in both and battery life is much better on regular 7.

The main selling point of the 4.7 is the ergonomic size for use. It is still usable with one hand for typing, reaching most of screen comfortably, yet big enough to enjoy media, games, reading without feeling cramped.

To me the SE size feels too cramped, the plus size is too large and 4.7 is ideal. I hope they don't increase the regular one to 5", because that puts it beyond the one hand usability with comfort.

The only issue there is with the 7 is the lower resolution PPI. Apple should have put a 1080p display in the regular 7 this year, which would have upped the PPI to around 450, but I suspect it would have compromised battery life too much.

24. Booloo macrumors regular

Booloo

There are plenty of 5-5.2" phones that are no bigger or even smaller than the 4.7" iPhone. Apple has a lot of areas for improvement when it comes to shrinking the phone size but keeping or increasing the display dimensions.

25. spinningfree macrumors newbie

It depends how much you use your current phone one handed.

I had the 6, then upgraded to the 6s Plus last year. The Plus is much better for battery life and watching video. It can be used one-handed, but generally only for scrolling. Typing anything using the left side of the keyboard is difficult, especially with a coffee in the other hand.

IMO iOS 10 looks a little too big on the Plus, and even after almost two years you still find apps that haven't been optimised for the bigger screen. I rarely, if ever, used messages and mail in landscape. Maps is much better on the bigger screen, especially if you don't have CarPlay.

If you're planning on buying from Apple then just get the Plus and return it after two weeks if you haven't adjusted.