Imac 2010 Graphic Card replacement

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kyros21, May 3, 2017.

1. kyros21 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Same as most of the people i encounter a trouble with the graphic card of my Imac 2010 HD6970. It died and for ever even if try to give her a new life by making a cure cycle.

So i have to replace it by the same model or the best one HD6970 2gb, and i found some of them but not coming from Imac but other laptop like Alienware or Dell.

Does anyone already try to put these models in Imac ? Does it work ? Because these kind of graphic card are cheaper than the apple one and easier to find.

Thanks for your help.

2. chscag macrumors 68000

The graphic card replacement for your iMac is expensive. As far as I know, there are several iterations of cards that will work but they are all Apple cards. I don't know of any other manufacturer's card that will work. Some folks have tried to repair the card using a reflow process but that doesn't always work or just works for a short time. Maybe someone else will have an idea for you.

3. Willo34 macrumors regular

Willo34

I think those are the only options I know.....a new card will cost you about 500-600 dollars for your device.

4. nambuccaheadsau macrumors 6502a

nambuccaheadsau

5. kyros21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, thanks for your reply i know there are many graphic cards for sale on Ebay, but the price is very expensive for these kind of outdated Graphic card, that's why I would like to know if someone try to install for exemple this kind of graphic card :

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/172014551116 or http://www.ebay.fr/itm/282430102987

It's the same chip HD6970m 2gb, but the brand is different, like Clevo or AMD for Dell and Alienware.

I'm not sure it's 100% works with an Imac, but the price is very interesting compare to Apple Graphic Card...

6. kyros21, May 4, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017

kyros21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I found some informations about my question. In Fact Apple Graphic card have a EFI (kind of bios) instead of PC card that doesn't have it.

So it may cause some issue on OSX, there is a solution for Nvidia card ( GTX 680 780 etc..) by using Nvidia webdriver, but nothing for ATI card, like HD6970 or 6770 etc...

Maybe you have some informations about that ?

Thanks