Imac 2017 now or wait?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by caseydull, May 2, 2018.

  1. caseydull macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 2, 2018
    #1
    I have a Macbook Pro that I do photo editing on and it is time to get a desktop now that we moved into our forever home. I know that Mac Rumors says to wait but I trust those in the forums. I was looking at the 4.2 Ghz 1 TB SSD drive with 8 GB of RAM and then I will add 32 GB of RAM myself. Tech typically gets cheaper but I do several photo events from June to the end of the year. I probably can't wait much longer than the beginning of September at the latest. Would you buy now from B&H with no tax and free shipping? Any other places I should look? It seems the Apple refurbs are more expensive after tax than the B&H new ones. Thanks for your suggestions in advanced.
     
  2. flyinmac macrumors 68040

    flyinmac

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2006
    Location:
    United States
    #2
    If you have the money and feel that you can afford the retail prices you’re seeing, and you won’t feel slighted when a new updated model comes out at the same price, then I’d get it now.

    If you are one who experienced buyers remorse if a new machine comes out in 6 months at the same price and is 200 MHz (0.2 GHz) faster, then wait.

    If your current machine does the task effectively enough, then I’d get an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse for it and set it up like a desktop that can also travel with you when needed.

    Then, at some later date, if you get a new iMac (perhaps on release date) then you could attach your external screen to it for dual screen purposes.

    In business, time is money. If you will be more productive by acting sooner, then I’d the wait worth it.

    Those would be where I’d be looking to make my decision.
     
  3. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2008
    #3
    I would at least wait until WWDC (a little over 30 days away) to see if anything new is announced.
     
  4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

    Fishrrman

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #4
    I would expect to see new iMacs in late July, August, possibly early September.
    I would NOT expect ANY "new iMac announcement" at WWDC.
    I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but I'll be surprised if it does.

    The old saying:
    If you "need now", BUY now.
    If you can "wait".... then WAIT.

    I would not "pay Apple's price" for the 1tb SSD. I just don't see that as a "good expenditure of my money".
    I would recommend the 512gb SSD instead (or even the 256gb) and add external storage via USB3 (either SSD or HDD).
     
  5. tomscott1988 macrumors 6502a

    tomscott1988

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2009
    Location:
    UK
    #5
    When it does it will be the biggest processor release since in years.

    50% more power similar prices... Just see what WWDC brings. It could be as the average is 371 days.... thats June, no reason why they couldn't, the processors are out, the X version of the 580 is out...
     
  6. dudleydoright macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2014
    #6
    Is there any indication from current iMac stock (such as a decline in retailer inventory for example) that would indicate that an immanent refresh is in the works?
     
  7. Steve121178 macrumors 601

    Steve121178

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    Location:
    Bedfordshire, UK
    #7
    A significant refresh is rarely announced until September with a Q4 release date. There's an outside chance of a minor spec bump for May/June but I'd personally hold on until the September iPhone event and see what gets announced.
     
  8. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2017
    #8
    You're correct in saying that the iMac updates are usually later in the year but updates to existing products are never announced months in advance, they are released right away. Else it would destroy sales of the current model.
     
  9. Internet Enzyme macrumors 6502a

    Internet Enzyme

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2016
    #9
    **** i hope you’re right. I really wanna get one, and looking at macrumors forums makes me think im not the only one...
     
  10. pam14160 macrumors newbie

    pam14160

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2016
    Location:
    Idaho
    #10
    It really won't make a big difference. The reason is OS will remain the same. . .:rolleyes:
     
  11. Cajun_Mike macrumors newbie

    Cajun_Mike

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2015
    #11
    I really want an Imac as my 2010 is on it's last legs and i'm just ready.. the great experience ive had with my Dell XPS15 laptop purchased last year has me really looking at the new Dell all in one that's coming in less than a month.

    Look at the specs on this thing and the price point should be less than 2000 fully loaded. They fixed that up the nostril webcam on last years Ryzen model. Now it has a popup webcam.

    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-...-focus-on-the-cinema-experience.295910.0.html
     

Share This Page