imac 27 or macbook pro 15 (low end)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nibuoy, Jan 21, 2010.

1. nibuoy macrumors member

First off, I don't need them immediatly so I'd be willing to wait up to 1/2 a year for updates.
    I've been using pc's for a long time and decided to make the switch. Right now, I have a Dell Dimension 9200C (desktop) with a pentium D @ 3 ghz and 2 gb of ram and integrated graphics. I also have a dell Latitude D420 (laptop) with 1.2 ghz core duo, 1 gig of memory, and inegrated graphics. I'm going to trash 1 and replace it with a mac, either the imac 27 (low end) or macbook pro 15 (low end).

My needs are mostly school work (I will be going into high school in september) and maybe some movie watching, editing and photo editing. So, what do you guys suggest? Macbook pro or imac?

thanks,
    nibuoy

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Both will suit you fine, but you have to decide what you want: mobility or a big desktop machine?

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Wait until you get into high school to decide if you can/will use a notebook.

If that is the case, I'd opt for a 13" and monitor and use the PC as a gaming rig.

4. dankybear macrumors regular

I would just wait around the fourms or ebay and see which ever one you can get for a good deal...

5. nibuoy thread starter macrumors member

thanks for all the replies.
    I guess I will wait until i go to high school to decide whether i could use a laptop. One thing is i don want my new macbook pro to be scratched/dented/stolen.

Also about turning my PC into a gaming rig, I doubt that would work unless I replaced the whole motherboard.

Also, does anyone know what or when the macbook pro update will come out?

Lastly, which one will be outdated first? I'm planning on keeping this computer for a pretty long time.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Even though I copied your list a while ago (must be pretty outdated by now, like those portable Apple computers), I don't pay attention anymore to those threads asking when the next update is due. That's your child, I have mine, I just have to find it again. Thank nature it's currently winter, so those cars don't get heated up that much. ;)

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

While my posting hasn't been at it's norm the past three or four days, I haven't really seen the flood that seemed to occur over the weekend.

Have you taken up the hard drive baby?

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

In parts I guess, it's a shared child anyway. I don't really know what baby I've taken care of lately, seems to be more than one, but when they are still small and cuddly, one can easily confuse them with other babies, so I have to DNA proof it the second I find it.

And the disappearance of the flood is just the calm before the storm, or when the waves go back to see to form a bigger wave.

I think the current flood are the questions about Windows 7, BC 3.1 and bluetooth issues.

10. nibuoy thread starter macrumors member

so if you were in my shoes, what would you do?

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Wait and probably get the 13"

12. nibuoy thread starter macrumors member

wait
    13?
    why not the 15?
    Also arn't the updates supposed to be more prominent on th 15 and 17?