iMac: Buy now or wait for Leopard???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bongolo, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Bongolo macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I have been waiting for ages for Leopard but I am getting more & more impatient.

When can we realistically expect Leopard?? :confused:

Should I buy now or continue waiting??
    :eek:
    TiA

/Bongolo

2. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

We'll have it next month, or so they say.

If you need your machine today, get it. Me, personally, I'd wait but I have a machine to use.:)

3. Bongolo thread starter macrumors regular

Many thanks for your reply Squonk! :)
    Do you have any details on the source of this info, I am prepared to wait for another month but need some kind of reassurance on the release date.

4. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Apple is the source of this info.

5. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Yes. apple has been saying release in October 2007 for a while.

6. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

You are most welcome.

Apple has not told any of us when, just Oct '07. And hey, October starts next week Monday!

My GUESS is the week of 10/21. ;)

7. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

Yeah, I'm looking for a new MacBook, but I'm going to wait and see what comes out next month.

:)

8. chambers7 macrumors member

When do you need it?

If it is at all possible, wait for a month. Otherwise, if you need it now, get it now.

9. SpaceJello macrumors 6502

Leopard is supposed to come out in Oct. I would say wait at least for this month. The iMacs just got updated, so I doubt a newer update will come anytime soon until early next year.

10. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Wait until Apple announces the official release date of 10.5. They will probably make the announcement 2 weeks prior to release, so look for the announcement in the next 2-3 weeks. Anyone who purchases a Mac after the announcement should be eligible for a free upgrade, if Apple continues with its previous practices.

11. Cavemate K macrumors member

I could swear that Apple had stated early on that they planned to release Leopard on October 30th. I know that Apple wants to get the new OS into stores soon, but I can't help but feel that if they had they're drothers they'd delay Leopard's release even further.

12. JPark macrumors 6502a

They stated October as the target way back in the first half of the year. There haven't been any rumors that they were going to miss that self-imposed deadline and the last release of 10.5 is a possible release candidate, so things look to be on track.

13. addison macrumors newbie

They promised me a free disk of Leopard...

How hard is it to install a new OS on Mac? I've probably gotta go buy my new iMac tomorrow (have credit at Best Buy that is expiring) and an applecare guy told me he would send me Leopard when it came out, to compensate me for the trouble he put me through. Don't have that in writing though.

BUT, if he doesn't send it, or it is a bear to install, I'll be kicking myself that I didn't just wait and buy an iMac with Leopard already on it.

Do you suppose the iMac price will go up when they upgrade to Leopard? At Best Buy, that is.

14. Stetwin macrumors 6502

Stetwin

I would expect leopard to be announced on the 31st October to ship some time in November

15. Blueprint macrumors member

If you have already waited this long then the next few weeks shouldn’t kill you I would say wait, but the only problem with waiting is that your order might take a long time to ship, iMacs are already shipping a little later then expected so add that to all the new orders that will be placed when Leopard comes out and your looking at something like 3 weeks!

16. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

It is not hard to install the new versions of Mac OS based on the my installations of 10.2, 10.3 and 10.4. I don't expect it to change.

The price of Apple's machines will not change when the new OS comes out. This has never happened before.

Oooh - a new iMac - enjoy it!

Whoever told you they'd just send you a free Leopard disk is lying. Apple will only give free copies once the new release date is announced!

17. Bongolo thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys,

I guess I'll wait a few more weeks. :)

/Bongolo

18. addison macrumors newbie

thank you Squonk.

If I end up having to pay for Leopard, how much do you think it will cost?

19. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

He could order mid October, and if it doesn't ship until after leopard, he will be getting leopard on the mac

20. jhkingsr macrumors regular

Buy now or wait for Leopard?..........

Just to share my experience.............I asked myself that same question for almost three and a half minutes. I wanted a new iMac. I knew Tiger was stable and is head and shoulders better than Windows. I also know there will be a few months of people complaining and having problems after the release of Leopard. So, I went ahead and bought my iMac and will use it with Tiger until the beginning of the year after all the Leopard first adopters find the problems and Apple has a chance to fix them. After a couple of updates, then I will buy a family pack for Leopard and upgrade all three of my Macs.

I'm enjoying this 24" speed demon NOW, have three months to save $ for Leopard, and have no regrets about not waiting.

Good luck with your decision!

[​IMG]

21. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

The problem is, there were always two good times to buy: Right now, or when Leopard is released (or announced and you get the right to upgrade for the media cost). You should have bought ages ago.

On the other hand, I except Leopard to be quite near, so if the cost of buying Leopard hurts you, you might consider waiting if you can live without a new Mac for a month or two.

22. Zuwxiv macrumors member

I've heard confusing things.... When they release Leopard, can we expect updates for their hardware? (with the possible exception of iMac)

I've had the cash to get a MacBook since June, but my old iBook has held me over since then. I'm just wasting away waiting for the magical moment... Have I been foolish, or should I expect to see a Macbook update along with OS X?

An Apple Rep just told someone I know that 10.5 would not be preinstalled on new computers at launch... How could this be true? Was my acquaintance horribly mistaken?

Bottom line: How likely is a MacBook update with Leopard?
    I was so sure of myself, but now I'm so confused.

23. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

The likelihood of hardware updates at the same time as the Leopard release probably isn't that high, at least until we hear about a press event being scheduled. Macworld in January is a pretty safe bet for some update announcements too.

The MacRumors buyers guide for MacBooks points out that they are currently mid product lifecycle, so it'd be early for a major hardware update on them at the moment.
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook

As for Leopard pre-installed, I don't know how long that turnaround has normally taken, but my understanding is that computers bought extremely close to the release date of the new OS get coupons for free upgrades, and I'm sure that any new stock shipping from Apple.com or to the stores starting after the release will have Leopard pre-installed.

24. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Steve Jobs said it'd be $129 at WWDC.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/11/wwdc-leopard-details/

That pricing matches Tiger, so presumably the family pack and academic pricing will match too - $199 and $69, respectively.

25. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

When Apple is vague about a release date it is best to assume the very last day of the month. So by Halloween we should have Leopard.

I say wait. It isn't too far off. I'm waiting for 10.5 before I buy a new machine.