iMac Can't Boot into Windows 10 After Graphics Driver Update

Discussion in 'iMac' started by barry.pearson, Apr 24, 2018.

1. barry.pearson macrumors member

barry.pearson

Hey, I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue:

After installing Windows 10 Pro through Bootcamp on my 2017 27" iMac, I decided to run the Apple Software Update and saw two updates - one for WiFi (v6.1) and another for Graphics (v6.3). After installing the graphics update and restarting, Windows will no longer boot and hangs on the loading screen before kicking me to the Windows start-up repair screen.

I can't get back into Windows other than through safe mode, and I've completely reinstalled Windows through Bootcamp and attempted the update again - with the same result.

Has anyone else had this issue? It's really frustrating me and I wanted to try and use my MR headset but believe I need the graphics card to be up-to-date for it to work.

The full specifications of the iMac are:
    • 2017 27" iMac
    • Intel Core i5
    • 8GB RAM
    • 1TB Fusion Drive (partitioned as 700GB macOS and 300GB Windows 10)
    • Radeon Pro 570 4GB
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Young Kai macrumors newbie

Did you reinstall with Creator's Update? This might not have anything to do with it, but I have almost the same machine as you except I have the Radeon Pro 580.

I hunted down an iso of Anniversary Update and installed the all of the updates I could, including the most recent AMD driver off of their website. Then two days ago, I got the Wi-Fi and Graphics update you mentioned, but I think the Graphics drivers were the same anyways. Even though I'm currently still on Anniversary Update(I just haven't had time to sit down and let it update), I have no problems booting into Windows.

When I first got my machine, any clean install with the Creator's Update caused my iMac to have the same issues you're having now.

3. barry.pearson thread starter macrumors member

barry.pearson

Hi, thanks for the reply. I think the iso from Microsoft's website is likely the Spring creators update from last year - this is also required for Mixed Reality headsets.

I will try and get an iso for the anniversary update, and see if I can install the driver and then update to the creators update and see if that works. It's somewhat annoying that the Apple update seems to kill the Windows install though...

4. barry.pearson thread starter macrumors member

barry.pearson

A quick update: installing the anniversary update and then installing the driver does not work. Installing AMD's software update tool doesn't detect the graphics card to update that way either.

:(

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

5. Young Kai macrumors newbie

6. MandiMac macrumors 6502a

Try bootcampdrivers.com - his drivers usually work. Best of luck to you!