iMac, eMac and iBook Updates

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Appleinsider reports that Apple will bring updates to the iMac, eMac and iBook lines next month. The report is short on details, includes the following predictions...

The iMac is expected to be bumped to 1.8GHz - 2.0GHz speeds alongside with speculation about a HD version of the iMac. The current iMac speeds range from 1.6 - 1.8GHz.

eMacs are also expected, but few details are provided.

Finally iBook revisions may also make their debut soon with speed bumps to 1.33 - 1.55 GHz and "an improved ATI Mobility Radeon graphics processor".

First word of April iMac and eMac updates came in early March with few other details provided. The iBook, iMac and eMac product lines are all due for upgrades (MacRumors Buyer's Guide) based on their product timelines.

smirre

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2004
Bubbasteve said:
I hate to sound like a complete noob though but what do they mean by the iMac HD?
High-Definition screen

dang no detailed emac info at all :(

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
Bubbasteve said:
That would almost be enough for me to buy an iMac -- I hate to sound like a complete noob though but what do they mean by the iMac HD?
Its probably referring to HD stands for High Definition so I'd assume that they will release a high resolution display on their iMacs. Sounds like a good idea since 2005 is "the year of high definition".

Trowaman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2003
CD: TX-14
In the month of April we have . . .
iMacs (faster, more standard RAM, and possible HD screen)
eMacs (faster)
iBooks (faster)
Powerbook (HD for 17")
Powermac (3 ghz with blu-ray)
TIGER
FCP 5
Shake 4
DVD Studio 4
Motion 2
New Pro Video App
New pro Audio App

Am I missing anything? Asteroid? iPod Bluetooth? mac mimi RAM increases? Nuclear powered 42,378 button mouse? :rolleyes:

eji

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
Inland Empire
Speed bumps are great...

...but what about the flipping iMac GPU, eh? I've been holding off for 6 months since the initial release, anxiously clicking refresh on the MR and AI RSS feeds and waiting on word of a RevB that doesn't "feature" a graphics card that was low-end two years ago.

I'm not a gamer. I'm not a video or digital editing professional. I'm just a schmoe who doesn't want to buy a computer that's crippled from the outset. Yeah, the GPU may be fine today. It may be fine next year. But in two years' time it'll be even more ridiculous and won't be able to handle the newest graphics advances in, say, 10.5. If I'm paying $2000, I want guaranteed eye-candy for the next 5 years.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Its not alright now, it should be replaced. Apps and games today are much more gpu hungry and need more power.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Raven VII said:
Uh-oh, looks like Apple is prepping for all machines to have CoreImage/CoreVideo-ready GPUs... except the Mac mini. :(
How did you come to this conclusion? (apart from common sense) There is no mentions about upgraded gpu's.

tsunami2k3

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2005
Macrumors said:
Finally iBook revisions may also make their debut soon with speed bumps to 1.33 - 1.55 GHz and "an improved ATI Mobility Radeon graphics processor".
I have a suspision what was posted was different, but all I read was: "be prepared to purchase a new iBook with Tiger next month." Yay!

iKnezek

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2005
North Texas
Validation of Powermac/book Rumors?

These rumors by a trusted source add to the credibility of the page 2 rumor about the upgraded powermacs/books because Apple wouldn't let their pro line of machines be matched or passed by the consumer lines. therefore, they would have to upgrade the low-end powermac to 2Ghz and the low-end powerbook to 1.67 or higher. IMHO :)

tsunami2k3

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2005
pknz said:
How did you come to this conclusion? (apart from common sense) There is no mentions about upgraded gpu's.
It mentioned "an improved ATI Mobility Radeon graphics processor". Most people have been expecting this, because Tiger recommends 64MB or greater, so it only makes sense to bump up the iBooks to meet the recommended specs at launch.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
It mentioned "an improved ATI Mobility Radeon graphics processor". Most people have been expecting this, because Tiger recommends 64MB or greater, so it only makes sense to bump up the iBooks to meet the recommended specs at launch.
Sorry i was reffering to iMac's.

I expect Powermacs at WWDC

pascalpp

macrumors member
May 10, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
oh goody

iKnezek said:
These rumors by a trusted source add to the credibility of the page 2 rumor about the upgraded powermacs/books because Apple wouldn't let their pro line of machines be matched or passed by the consumer lines. therefore, they would have to upgrade the low-end powermac to 2Ghz and the low-end powerbook to 1.67 or higher. IMHO :)
Now we have rumors validating rumors. Steve, stop the madness! I just want a new PowerMac G5 NOW!! PLEASE, won't somebody THINK OF THE CHILDREN!?!

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Please... please... please... Apple...

...increase the basic ram in the iBook.

I will be first in line. :)

crpchristian

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2005
Chaszmyr said:
This isn't looking good for the probability of PowerMac updates at NAB :(
I'm not sure why you think that. Personally, i agree that if the consumer models are getting this fast, the 'pro' line would look like a waste of money. To not have new powermacs with the new pro apps/tiger at nab when we all know power mac updates gotta be soon, wouldn't make any sense....stevey did say the year of HD. HD take a lot of beef to run it well and.. well..that would have to equal better powermacs and NAB is THE best place to debut such a thing with the HD correlation

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Chaszmyr said:
This isn't looking good for the probability of PowerMac updates at NAB :(
Sure it does... they can't increase the iMac speed and keep the PowerMac at 1.8!

iBooks at 1.55GHz? What is the world coming to? Sit down boy, learn some manners... ;)

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
pknz said:
Yep, it said so like this...

Sources say Apple will boost the 12-inch iBook from a 1.2GHz to 1.33GHz G4 processor, while the 14-inch models will likely obtain a 1.5GHz processor. Both models are also expected to adopt an improved ATI Mobility Radeon graphics processor.