iMac ethernet not working, cable unplugged problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by orionlogic, Jun 7, 2016.

1. orionlogic macrumors newbie

Hi, for my iMac late 2013 i cannot use my ethernet port. It suddenly stopped working. Here are the things about my problem and things that i try:
    • Wifi is working
    • No, it is not the Apple ethernet brick problem i have 3.30.1 incompatible kernel extension
    • Ethernet cable is working, tried with a pc.
    • Did PRAM reset
    • Did SMC reset
    • Did open safe mode
    • Did delete ports and added manually
    • Also does not works on bootcamp windows
    • Did install new el capitan twice, including new beta
    • No psychical damage on port
    • I can see ethernet info on system information
    Here are the symptoms just before
    • Thunderstorm damage building tv set top box satellite also building elevators and cable modem for a short period of time
    • i connect samsung j5 via bluetooth and transfer file for the first time.

tonight i will try with new ethernet cable and a clean install. If all those doesn't seem to work, i guess there is a hardware issue.

Anything that i forget to do? Any other suggestions?

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Try it on a different network so that any issues with your equipment is eliminated. If you can't connect to any Ethernet then it's your MBP.

3. orionlogic thread starter macrumors newbie

Well it is an iMac, i might try bring it to another network and plug via ethernet. But the network is working with other PC's

4. JohnDS macrumors 65816

What shows up in System Preference > Network for your ethernet connection? Can you post a screenshot?

Does it show as connected? If so, click on the Advanced button, then the TCP/IP tab and post a screenshot.

5. chscag macrumors 68000

I have had this happen during a severe thunderstorm (quite common here in Texas) when a nearby lightning strike occurred. It not only took out the entire network but destroyed several TV sets and an air conditioner motor. I would guess that you're looking at a new logic board. Are you covered by Apple Care?

6. JohnDS macrumors 65816

@chscag - I think you may be jumping the gun a bit there, but even if the ethernet port if fried, if that is all that is wrong, just getting a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter would be a much cheaper solution than replacing the logic board.

7. orionlogic thread starter macrumors newbie

Well tonight i will try a clean install. The last resort before bring it to service.

What i don't get is the wifi is working. So how can it damage that part of logicboard...
    --- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2016 ---
    ss.jpg

8. chscag macrumors 68000

Very true, but if his iMac is still covered by Apple Care, might as well have them replace the logic board. If not, then your suggestion is certainly a better alternative.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G3

There are also USB-to-ethernet adapters available, for about $25 or so...

10. JohnDS macrumors 65816

11. orionlogic thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes.

Extra dongles does not look good for resell value. I can't sell an iMac with a defective port. I bring it to apple, waiting their reply. Its under Apple care.

12. orionlogic thread starter macrumors newbie

FYI, service told me that mainboard have to be changed. It's covered by Apple Care.

Interesting that these things still happen by Lightnings...