iMac G5 Sleep Light Update

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Now in Software Update:
The iMac G5 Sleep Light Update adjusts the brightness of your iMac G5 sleep indicator light so it's not as bright during the evening. The daytime brightness remains the same.

This update is installed in Applications > Utilities and should automatically launch. Click Update and follow the onscreen instructions to apply the update.

Note: Once the update has started, do not cancel or interrupt it. The updater takes over one minute to complete. During the update, your computer fans will run at full speed, but will return to normal once the update completes.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Why don't they do this on other computers? I know of a few people who get annoyed at the "brightness" of the sleep light and put things over it. Personally, I can't tell once my eyes are closed, but there are people that get annoyed by it.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
grapes911 said:
Did you run software update first?
The one from the apple logo drop down menu? The only update available is one for iSync...

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Ja Di ksw said:
Why don't they do this on other computers? I know of a few people who get annoyed at the "brightness" of the sleep light and put things over it. Personally, I can't tell once my eyes are closed, but there are people that get annoyed by it.
This feature seems to work on my PowerBook. At night, the light is mauch dimmer than during the day. When I wke up in the morning it is even hard to see if it is on at all. :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Ja Di ksw said:
Yeah, it'd be nice if they'd just release an optional preference pane that let you tweak the sleep light on any Mac. :D

But I personally actually don't care either. If I want to sleep in the same room as my iBook, I can throw it in my Tucano second skin. :)

obiwan

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2004
Pure attention to detail...

Only Apple could release an update that refines such a minor detail still further. - Always striving for perfection... That's why we love 'em!

havok416

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2002
Toronto
Thanks Apple!

I for one am thrilled with this update! My iMac is in my room and is surprisingly bright at night. I've had to prop things in front of the light ever since I got it, but no more! Thanks for taking care of the little things Apple! :)

quagmire

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2004
Reason why this is an Rev a only update. Rev b's have a sensor! When more light is present the sensor will make the sleep light bright. When there is less light present, the darker the sensor sets the sleep light. So us rev b users have nothing to do with this update.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
quagmire said:
Reason why this is an Rev a only update. Rev b's have a sensor! When more light is present the sensor will make the sleep light bright. When there is less light present, the darker the sensor sets the sleep light. So us rev b users have nothing to do with this update.
Shanks for the info!

cmcclain

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2004
Florida
I of course, have a problem.

Once I downloaded the update via Software Update, I restarted my computer and When I restarted, it did its usual startup with the gray apple logo and then with the dialog box with those things loading and after that, a blue screen comes on and the computer just sits there. Has anyone noticed this too? I am using my PowerBook, thank gosh. Please help if you can. Thanks, Colby.

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
uhhhhhhhhhhhh is this a joke?!?!?! an update for a bblinking light?

and if APPLE can update the brightness of it, then there must be a way to hack it and either turn it off or modify it yourself

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
biohazard_6969 said:
uhhhhhhhhhhhh is this a joke?!?!?! an update for a bblinking light?

and if APPLE can update the brightness of it, then there must be a way to hack it and either turn it off or modify it yourself
Why would this be a joke? I personally like the fact that Apple takes care of the little things.

Firmware is tough to hack. I'm sure someone could do it, but it would take a lot of work.

hob

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
I'd like this for my powerbooks and my powermac... I sleep with them all in a room the size of a shoebox...

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
The sleep light doesn't bother me a bit, I can sleep through anything. I think I'll skip this update.

sphereboy

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2002
MIAMI.FL.USA
hob said:
I'd like this for my powerbooks and my powermac... I sleep with them all in a room the size of a shoebox...
me too! .. that plus all my other LED shine my room up.
It's kinda cool. and let's not mention the blue LED from my external drives.

Those things will blind anyone.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
cmcclain said:
Once I downloaded the update via Software Update, I restarted my computer and When I restarted, it did its usual startup with the gray apple logo and then with the dialog box with those things loading and after that, a blue screen comes on and the computer just sits there. Has anyone noticed this too? I am using my PowerBook, thank gosh. Please help if you can. Thanks, Colby.
I can't prove it, but I suspect that this update was probably not the cause of your problem and that you already had a problem, waiting to become evident the next time you restarted. This update happened to be the reason you restarted. That's assuming you heeded the warning not to cancel or interrupt the update once it started.

You could turn the Mac off and try again to see if the problem is permanent (i.e., reproducible). If so, you might boot off your installation disc and run the repair checks, boot off the hardware test disc to test hardware, or post in the Help forum. No need to assume you have to reinstall the O.S. just yet.

RJP31484

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Personally, I love the fact that my rev. b iMac does this automatically! There is a small light sensor in the bottom grill that dims the sleep lightaccording to the light conditions in the room. Has anyone ever heard of a way to use this sensor to also dim the actualy display? It would be so great if I could have it set to be very bright during the day, and dim it at night if I have the lights out, or keep it bright if th lights are on.... much easier on the eyes that way.

cmcclain

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2004
Florida
I appreciate your help.

Thanks for trying to help me. I will try your suggestion. Thanks again, Colby.
Doctor Q said:
I can't prove it, but I suspect that this update was probably not the cause of your problem and that you already had a problem, waiting to become evident the next time you restarted. This update happened to be the reason you restarted. That's assuming you heeded the warning not to cancel or interrupt the update once it started.

You could turn the Mac off and try again to see if the problem is permanent (i.e., reproducible). If so, you might boot off your installation disc and run the repair checks, boot off the hardware test disc to test hardware, or post in the Help forum. No need to assume you have to reinstall the O.S. just yet.